To sell at auction?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

101sinbad
Married to the DDK

To sell at auction?

Post by 101sinbad »

just looking for some advice;

I have two very different cars,

1) a matching numbers (original engine + a 912 engine) LHD 356 Roadster built by Rod Emory.
2) a matching numbers RHD 1972 911T with 48,000 on the clock and very very original but not perfect

The roadster is not in its original colour and has some nice touches which would make some purists cry. If I try to sell it privately I have to get it out to a wide audience as an outlaw will not be everyone's cup of tea. Hence the view that it may be better going to auction.

The RHD car is at the other end of the spectrum and will be worth more to the purist as it has a lot of paperwork and most mot's backing the 48k miles. I've recently got it back from Chris (Butzi) after all the mechanicals were sorted out. Brakes, fuel lines, carbs, fuel tank ect and a service. The paint on some panels need a repaint.

Two very different cars for two very different audiences...maybe.

Which auction houses would you recommend?
alastairp
DDK above all

Re: To sell at auction?

Post by alastairp »

Ebay :wink:
alastairp
DDK above all

Post by alastairp »

Sorry about that - that is what was responsible for getting me into all this Porsche stuff
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

alastairp wrote:Ebay :wink:
funnily enough I did think of ebay, but more as a marketing avenue.

I have a few of those ebay late night purchases lurking around somewhere too. :shock:
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I might be tempted to audition both of those with a good reserve? However, for the T maybe speak to Lee Maxted he has a good client base or interesting cars?

Actually with the Roadster I would be very tempted not to sell but drive and enjoy until death!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I had a very good experience with Silverstone Auctions when I sold my car at the end of last year & would certainly recommend speaking to them - have sent you a pm.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
john ruston
DDK forever

Post by john ruston »

Cars that can't sell privately or thru trade usually go to auction.
crisc204
DDK slapper chatter

Post by crisc204 »

I also like eBay for classified ad's like you say more of a marketing tool and widely accessible to all.

Silverstone auctions certainly have the "pull" how involved do you want to be in the sale?
Sometimes the fee is well spent!

There are 20plus 356 on Ebay currently and at least 15 early 911's so it's valid route IMHO
But. I have our industrial unit for meetings, not my home, so exercise due diligence when meeting unknown's.
Now they are worth a bit, any one that wants the car will likely want an inspection as well...

Arrange a meeting at a local indy?
http://www.911rrr.com

Baltic 3.2 Carrera
Ornamental 911 Gulf RS 3.4 hotrod...
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

call Robert Barrie

gentleman racer and trusted middleman.

I have bought from him and sold a friends car through him.

good advice and sensible prices
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

squirdan wrote:call Robert Barrie

gentleman racer and trusted middleman.

I have bought from him and sold a friends car through him.

good advice and sensible prices
I know Robert. He is certainly a lovely man
speedsterboy
DDK addict

Post by speedsterboy »

Sold my speedster last year and despite the car being in New Zealand and limiting my advertising to a couple of selected sites , it actually sold via a free advert in Octane magazine for the asking price.
Had a lot of interest , location was my biggest hurdle , however as I am sure we all do , we hunt out the cars we want so those looking will find it whichever advertising you use.
Agree that the original T might be best through Maxted page if he is interested , he sold my Convertible D for far more than I had privately advertised it for and fairly quickly too.