Shell Stripping

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Shell Stripping

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Has anyone used Envirostrip for getting their shell back to bare metal?

Regards,

Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
andytat
DDK forever

Re: Shell Stripping

Post by andytat »

Hi Kirk.

I have used them for a 67 S shell and they have a 75 2.7 Carrera shell that they are stripping for me at the moment. I can't speak highly enough of their professionalism and customer service. I was there 3 weeks ago and there was a row of Fiesta shells waiting their turn from M Sport along with about 50 classics. I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend them.

Cheers.

Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

I would confirm their customer service quality, many DDKers have used them, and they are on DDK themselves.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

I've always been really sceptical of any form of acid dipping and baking a shell prior to this would really give me the willy's! :shock:

That said Barry is very impressed with Jamie's shell which was baked/dipped at Envirostrip a number of months ago and would be interested in Barry/Jamie's thoughts now they're working on the car?

Cheers,
cobb911
Married to the DDK

Post by cobb911 »

Graeme

Black 2003 996 C4S Coupe
Previously
Tangerine 1972 911T
Black 2005 987 Boxster
Grey 2001 986 Boxster S
Cobalt Blue 1991 944 S2

Member #731
Richi996
Married to the DDK

Post by Richi996 »

+1 for Envirostrip .... had my doors done and they provided an excellent service and even showed me around work being undertaken :P
Richard
73 RS Rep with 2.8l Twin Plug
Ducati 996 Foggy Rep
1 wife and 1 Boy
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Thanks to every one who took the trouble to respond.
Darren, heating a shell and dunking it in acid does seem very harsh but is it any worse than firing media at a shell at a high pressure? My concern lies elsewhere with the long term effects as outlined below.
I have heard good things about the service offered by Envirostrip along with the quality of the actual stripping. My concern is what happens within seams ....can all of the acid be neutralised from these? Does anyone have a shell done say three or five years ago?

Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

I'm just considering having my SWB shell done by Envirostrip myself but have the same concerns.
Would be interesting to know about not only a shell that was done 3-5 years ago, but also one that has then been regularly used on real roads and all weathers.
Regards
Andrew
BILLY BEAN wrote:Thanks to every one who took the trouble to respond.
Darren, heating a shell and dunking it in acid does seem very harsh but is it any worse than firing media at a shell at a high pressure? My concern lies elsewhere with the long term effects as outlined below.
I have heard good things about the service offered by Envirostrip along with the quality of the actual stripping. My concern is what happens within seams ....can all of the acid be neutralised from these? Does anyone have a shell done say three or five years ago?

Regards,
Kirk
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Ferry Man's Turkis hotrod. 5 years of all year round use, no sign of any issues. I have done several others, again no issues. Talk to Envirostrip so they can put your mind at rest.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
nrc914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by nrc914 »

Darren65 wrote:I've always been really sceptical of any form of acid dipping and baking a shell prior to this would really give me the willy's! :shock:

That said Barry is very impressed with Jamie's shell which was baked/dipped at Envirostrip a number of months ago and would be interested in Barry/Jamie's thoughts now they're working on the car?

Cheers,
I'm with Darren, it would be great to hear back from Barry now that he's started unpicking Jamie's car after the treatment to see how the seams and box sections have faired.

Regards
Nathan

1975 914/4 1.8 (Needing Resto!)
2008 Cayenne GTS
1993 993 Carrera 2
1967 VW Beetle 1300 (In loads of pieces!)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

BILLY BEAN wrote:Darren, heating a shell and dunking it in acid does seem very harsh but is it any worse than firing media at a shell at a high pressure?……..My concern is what happens within seams ....can all of the acid be neutralised from these?
When I had my first shell cleaned I considered using SPL but was put off by the horror stories I'd heard about them. Envirostrip on the other hand get nothing but good press, have satisfied customers and I'm told produce impressive results.

I've no first hand experience and Nick is a far better judge on this however I still can't get my head around the process and like Kirk would be concerned about the long term effect of seams being breached and hidden box sections etc that you can't get to.

I liken the process to that of an archeological dig where soil is carefully removed layer by layer to reveal the 'find' underneath, undisturbed and intact :) ……

....turning the earth into a furnace and then flushing everything away with acid to see what you have left, to me, seems a little extreme! :wink:

Cheers,
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have no experience of this, but if acid can get in then presumably any neutraliser can too?

Secondly, once stripped there is every chance the body man does not cut everything out where metal is thin and rust can advance again?

This process gets almost everywhere inside sections that media cannot hope to reach so could be far better.

Finally, the Classic Car Show at the NEC is a few weeks away, all the companies who prep shells will be there, a perfect chance to explore all the possibilities.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

The key thing about Envirostrip is that they don't use the harsh acids that other similar businesses use. I have seen several shells and individual panels done by them and would have no hesitation in using them. If there's any doubt about rusty panels before you send the shell for stripping, cut them out beforehand – especially sills.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

As Darren said, Barry is working on my shell, which was done through Envirostrip. He is impressed with the quality of the work they have done. It came back so clean that you could see the machining marks from the press in the metal!

They are lovely guys too - very friendly and helpful. The price was right. I really couldn't be happier :)
'68 912
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Jamie,

Thanks for your contribution. Do you have any idea of the state of the heater tubes and insulation baffles post strip? Also any sign of anything oozing out of the seams?
Regards,

Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps