Fire at PM Motorsports, Sacramento

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Fire at PM Motorsports, Sacramento

Post by KS »

It appears that, among others, a 73RS, and RSR and a Speedster have been destroyed in a fire at the Sacramento workshop:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums ... ter-RS-RSR

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/07/ ... acramento/
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Fire at PM Motorsports, Sacramento

Post by Bootsy »

You'll need to be logged in to earlyS to see the pics above but if you are it doesn't make for nice viewing. Such a shame but sounds as though nobody was hurt which you can be thankful for at least.

That Orange RSR is quite a loss
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Tragic! :(
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

Is that title an anagram of .......... "another autofarm barn find " !

terrible situation I hope they were properly insured.
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

I hope you wont think me callous when I say it would have been better if some people were a little hurt rather than the damage done here. And remember the chassis numbers as they will reappear when our memories fade.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
KS

Post by KS »

Before...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

majordad wrote:I hope you wont think me callous when I say it would have been better if some people were a little hurt rather than the damage done here...

???
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
majordad wrote:I hope you wont think me callous when I say it would have been better if some people were a little hurt rather than the damage done here...

???
A few singed eyebrows or burnt clothes trying to save the cars. And speaking from personal experience years ago when the engine blew up in my race 911 and the car went on fire I stopped at the first marshalls post where they failed to put out the blaze, I drove on to the next post where they put it out. I'm implying the modern H&S advice of get out fast from the burning building is perhaps not always the best solution. Push a car or two out along the way.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
Codfather
Married to the DDK

Post by Codfather »

majordad wrote:
Lightweight_911 wrote:

???
A few singed eyebrows or burnt clothes trying to save the cars. And speaking from personal experience years ago when the engine blew up in my race 911 and the car went on fire I stopped at the first marshalls post where they failed to put out the blaze, I drove on to the next post where they put it out. I'm implying the modern H&S advice of get out fast from the burning building is perhaps not always the best solution. Push a car or two out along the way.

Quite possible in other situations, but this happened at 4.15am and started in the shared tyre shop so not possible to simply push 'a car or two out of the way.......'

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/07/ ... acramento/

Cheers
Dave
1979 911sc
2010 Range Rover Sport
2013 Mini D
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I've just realised which RSR it is that was destroyed in the fire.

I've seen the car 'in the flesh' & it was in incredible (original) condition - the most original/untouched 2.8 RSR in existence - very sad.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

That is a sad thing to see. 4am fire at a workshop is a bummer in anyone's perspective.
It seems as though the cars had the roof fall on them and serious fire damaged metal will never be alright as all the impurities are in the metal and it being tempered by the fire department will just add to the problems.

The only positive thing would be to align yourself with a Stanceworks/ratrod crowd and roll it as is.
Scene tax
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

majordad wrote:
Lightweight_911 wrote:

???
Having a fire in a carand driving with it? Doesn't that add more oxygen and make the fire bigger and hotter?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Those are some depressing photos. I can't imagine how the owners feel, but also a sad loss to the wider Porsche community.
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
saxon
DDK forever

Post by saxon »

Oh god that really is sad :( all those poor Porsche's .
2010 mini mayfair cooper s
1999 mini cooper works s

Peter