Is there something wrong with us?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Is there something wrong with us?

Post by neilbardsley »

Why are men so keen on collecting stuff? I saw a programme on tv about some mad chap in the US (aren't they almost always) who had a massive collection of guitars, garage sign lights, etc. Not just 1 or 2 but Gibsons 20+ of each model then mundane stuff like mugs. I got the impression that he wasn't super wealthy and had no intention to ever liquidate this collection. It was like a compulsion.

Before I point my finger too much. I have two nice old cars but I find myself thinking that I need to add another! It doesn't seem to matter that I don't have the money or space. It's just really silly. I also have about 6+ watches, 5 guitars and 6 bikes but I have to stop myself from adding to the list. I'm sure I'm not the only one guilty of this on DDK :)

Before I get too deep, it seems to me to point to someone that it's happy with their lot?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KEVFITZ
Married to the DDK

Re: Is there something wrong with us?

Post by KEVFITZ »

Neil,

It's a man thing...we love the hunt for things....that is why the internet can become obsessive.

How many times have you heard of long term restorations that when complete the owner starts looking for a new project.
Some even enjoy the build rather than driving them,
It's in our genes!!!!

Despite my treasures ( 356,T5 California,1951 Beetle, 3 x Les Pauls,1 x '66 335 ,4 bikes,2x Rolex) I am even now searching for a hot rod !!!

The horror,the horror...when will I find peace !!!!!

Regards KEVFITZ :compress:
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Love to see some pics of your Beetle

And yes it's a man thing - not all men are built the same but many are.

Protect me from what I want and give me what I need - wise words and ones that I have seemed to ignore all my life.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
davep
I luv DDK!

Post by davep »

Is there something wrong with us? Not really. WE are genetically disposed to this activity. Unfortunately too many of us are financially challenged and therefore unable to pursue this activity to its fullest expression.
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

davep wrote:therefore unable to pursue this activity to its fullest expression.
or have wives/partners :wink:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

And yes it's a man thing [/quote]

Oh no it isn't..... how many pairs of @ucking shoes can one woman wear? Even a different pair every day of the year and there would be some still unworn :roll:
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ian 2.2S wrote:And yes it's a man thing

Oh no it isn't..... how many pairs of @ucking shoes can one woman wear? Even a different pair every day of the year and there would be some still unworn :roll:[/quote]

Are you married to this women's sister!

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
timmyboy
DDK above all

Post by timmyboy »

Hi Kevfitz,

I'd love to see a picture of your 335. I have a '64 330 and '70 335 and a '74 Strat, '67 J50, '71 vibrolux, '60's WEM custon 15, oh god I better not go on!!
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

neilbardsley wrote:

Oh no it isn't..... how many pairs of @ucking shoes can one woman wear? Even a different pair every day of the year and there would be some still unworn :roll:
Are you married to this women's sister!

Image[/quote]

Might have been cheaper :lol:

I can understand that you she might need different colours to go with different outfits, but can she understand that I need more than one pair of skis?
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

timmyboy wrote:Hi Kevfitz,

I'd love to see a picture of your 335. I have a '64 330 and '70 335 and a '74 Strat, '67 J50, '71 vibrolux, '60's WEM custon 15, oh god I better not go on!!
I only just picked up on the 66 335 too! Nice guitar. Isn't that the model that Chuck Berry plays and Mr King has a special version of? Completely different players. Chuck only has one riff but what a riff! BB really is the king of playing the box and what a voice! My favourite guitar is a semi hallow body, single pick up, Tanglewood. Not worth much but makes a great sound but not in my hands. I have a Les Paul Tokia copy. Very nice guitar but quite heavy. I prefer to play a strat squire that I have upgraded the pickups on. Again I can't make of the sounds that Clapton gets out of his! Although I did play/sing (not sure it would be called that) Wonderful Tonight as a surprise to Mrs B when we got married. It was the most nervous I've ever been. I was struggling to form a D chord until I got going.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

We all suffer this to some degree.
I now find (at my age) to want to collect the stuff I couldn't get back then, but have suffers the guitar chase with 7 of the blight ears, around 8 old or new cameras, various model aeroplane things, a few oddities like old weighing machines and sewing machines too from around 1850 something.

I like mechanisms.

I've been through a lot of cars, two real hot rods and one "love of my life" bloody race car which is very love and hate...

I would dearly love a chopped Model A Ford with a SBC in it and a GT 40 replica.

I expect to retire soon early, so certainly no cash, tons of time and a bit of a skill base to re:rebuild my 911 she'll in places, rebuild my Lambretta TV175 Series III and ride my bike.

I know blokes who are NOTHING like this and they watch football.
And nothing else.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
timmyboy
DDK above all

Post by timmyboy »

Haha! No matter how long you play for you're never happy and always want to be better!

The 330 isn't the Chuck or BB guitar, I might be mistaken but they did use 335 amongst other things but the 'famous' ones were 355s. Basically the same but with a Varitone rotary switch, different inlays and usually gold hardware. BB started having his without 'F' holes later on too.

Mine is basically a 335 without the centre block so it's completely hollow and P90's instead of humbuckers. It's much more lively than a 335 and louder acoustically but not really quite as versatile because it feeds back a bit easier but I use it all the time! My mate bought a 66 335 in LA last summer, it's awesome in the truest sense of the word. It's sounds amazing, they really were better back then. The big problem is once you have one great vintage guitar you want more and they take up a lots less room than cars!
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

neilbardsley wrote:

Shoes and, in my wife's case, specs. 38 pairs I counted up this morning.
(said the kept man with 4 bikes, 3 nice watches, 2 cameras a Pagoda and a 964)

edit: partial to watching a game of footie on the tellybox too!
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet