Speakers in 914

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

bob73
DDK Newbie

Speakers in 914

Post by bob73 »

Any interesting ideas out there for neat and discrete speaker install in 914 cabin? - avoiding cutting doors or door cards.

cheers

Bob
abm914
Events Organiser

Re: Speakers in 914

Post by abm914 »

Bob

You can get (from the US) upgraded speaker 'pods' that fit in the original position but allow bigger speakers to be fitted. Coupled with 'tweeters' (if that is the correct terminology) on the B pillars (above or below the top seat belt mounts) could give you a type of surround sound.

Ad.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

kick pannels are a good place to put mid-range speakers; wouldn't be too difficult to build an MDF kick pannel and cover in carpet. tweeters could be put ontop of the dash; lots come with a clip on back piece to allow for mounting them in this way, they're about the size of a sqaush ball or a bit smaller normally and just stick on with a small double sided foam adhesive pad. if you wanted total stealth I guess you could mount the tweeters inside the heater ducts either end of the dash. Not idea for sound quality, BUT its a 914 so its not going to win any prizes anyway..

if you're looking for ipod functionality only (which quite a few people seem keen on) then put an amp under a seat with a 3.5mm jack plug for plugging in said ipod, and connect speakers to that. bit of a basic install but does work.. means you can leave the standard head unit in the dash for show and everything else is pretty much invisible
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

abm914 wrote:Bob
You can get (from the US) upgraded speaker 'pods' that fit in the original position but allow bigger speakers to be fitted

Upgraded 914 speaker housing

Footwell Sub Box

These are available from 914 appearance & performance.

http://914ap.com/products.php
914 Daily driver since 1990
bob73
DDK Newbie

Post by bob73 »

Thanks all - and more good pictures,Kev. Do they fit down on the footwell on the inner side of the wheel tub? Didn't realise that was original fitment location. I will check out website of the company you mention.

Cheers

bob