Have a hankering for a Lieca digital camera:which one though

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ferry Man
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Ferry Man »

mycar wrote:is this Ferryman magic ?
Just a sticker/skin/protector over the back of the iPhone Mike.
A couple of quid and hey presto, you're Henri Cartier Bresson. :lol:
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

911hillclimber wrote:Just read a review and it says the view finder on the two camera is flawed, small and low resolution.
I'd say it's perfectly good enough. Fine for composition. You can focus with it but frankly you'll autofocus anyway.
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
mycar

Post by mycar »

Ferry Man wrote: Just a sticker/skin/protector over the back of the iPhone :lol:
Oooh and there was me thinking it was a Leica app... turn your iphone into a marvelous camera...

I was searching in the app store.

:roll:

Mike. :)
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

If you want the full 'retro' effect on the iPhone get ' Hipstamatic' . Brilliant app , I use it all the time .
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
bob tilton
DDK addict

Post by bob tilton »

Let's see some real world M9 pics!
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

There is a leica z2x on eBay for £38 currently only 90mins left.

:lol:

The magic red dot has me hovering over the bid button!
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

Mike is film really coming back? I went to Namibia for three weeks about 18 months ago, hired a land rover and did the whole camping 50 miles from anyone else thing. The day we left, got out my EOS 5D and turned it on - nothing. Nipped down to jessops to test it with their battery and the whole lot had packed up. Dug out my EOS1N that hadn't had a film through it in 3 years, bought a battery at the airport and took some out of date Tmax CN and some 100ASA portrait print film that I had knocking about. It seemed weird not having the instant gratification of the screen but it really made me think about what I was doing again.

When I finally got the pics back I was blown away. So much better than digital.

I sent the EOS5D back toCanon and they fixed it for £80 or so, but now it over-exposes buy about 2/3 of a stop. I still can't get on with it and am really tempted to try out some more film.

Oh, and I have a Contax TVSII that I'm about to ebay. It works fine but has a cracked exposure count LCD which is therefore hard to read. Fab Camera - offers?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The Panasonic LC2 has me thinking...
Reads very well in the write-ups, no red dot, but maybe that is just 'male jewlery'?

Been years since I ran a 35mm film. Pleased to see Boots still have FP4 etc, so very tempting with one of my classics in mind.

Is the M8 really justifyable for a DIY snapper?
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

I have a Leica D-Lux 4 and recently bought a Panasonic GF1 micro 4/3rds with a selection of lenses: 20mm, 14-45 and 45-200. The GF1 is amazing, better than the D-Lux which is still lovely to use but getting on a bit now.

My favourite combo is the GF1 and the f/1.7 20mm, lovely combination. If you have M9 money to spend then you won't go far wrong there either.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just found this free internet link in Italy.

I bought my old Pentax Spotmatic here for a holiday in the Lakes of Italy, a 200 asa Kodak film, and found the battery to be Dead, as is dead.

You try getting a kodak battery for a 1967 Pentax in rural italy...

Still, the little Nikon digital is working.

My max budget is about £600 for a second-hand something, but leaning to a Panasonic big-time. Was a beauty on ebay but I am over here when the bidding was to end, so left it. Reserve was £300.

Digital though.

does a red-dot make any real difference, other than to realise a school boy dream?
Mike

Post by Mike »

tanick wrote:Mike is film really coming back?

Sorry Nick only just caught up with this! Well the people who are telling me are the young kids to whom film is something completely new!
If you think about it 18-20 year old art students have been brought up on nothing other than digital so to them this is a new 'discovery'.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
mycar

Post by mycar »

911hillclimber wrote: Pentax Spotmatic
Sigh, I remember them well, must have been the last of the screw in bodies... and the metering with the needle... Oh how times have changed.
I have mixed feelings of a new generation discovering ASA 64... digital is..... extraordinary and perfect and malipulationable.... and yet there is a worthy apprenticeship to be served to be served with Ilford stock. :)

Mike.
Mitch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mitch »

Can't offer much technical help with this dilemma but a friend who earns a living selling his pics highly recommends the GF1 which he uses as a compact backup to the bigger kit.

I went through a similar process not long ago and bought a Canon G12 (not what you're looking for I know) but read a lot about this latest Fujiflim Finepix X100. It's had good reviews... a fixed lens but may be worth considering if you're after the Leica look and feel.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipm ... eview.html

http://www.finepix-x100.com/
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Interesting discussion. I think a lot depends on the type of photography your into.
If it's cars, portraits and non fast moving objects you can now buy 6 -8 year old 'classic' digital camera's for reasonable money.
Don't worry to much about sensor sizes or pixel counts unless you regularly print exhibition or poster sized pictures.
If you liker the Leica why not splash out on an old Digilux 2 ?
It has 5 mega pixels, a superb wide angle to telephoto lens, fantastic image quality and yours for £ 300 - 500 ( £1200 new).
If you revert back to film cameras, the images that you take will often look better back lit on a computer screen rather than on photographic paper.
Last year I took an old 7 x5 " print of my old Urraco and scanned it using a very poor quality Lexmark printer scanner thingy and uploaded it to the computer. The image was taken in 1989 from memory on my old Contax ( sadly ceased to trade a few years ago ). I thought it wasn't bad.
It would be interesting to see the screen image difference between a digital camera's image and a picture taken at the same time with a film camera scanned to the screen.
If you double click the thumbnail and then double click the image you will see how the old 7 x 5 " print looks full screen.

“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

This is a good discussion gents.

As a 59 year old who had a darkroom in his bedroom when 11 years old i go back a bit. Even home processed Ektachrome slide films!

It is all a bit of nostalgia and some prepping for another hobby when i retire.

subject matter is anything, but I am sure 5 mega pix is more than enough.
The fuji looks great, my Finepix Fuji has been perfect for 10 years or so as my garage camera now.

£600 will open a lot of boxes secondhand, too many choices hence this thread to narrow things down which is working!

Need to find some pentax batteries!
Screw on lens and all that but v nice to drive but flippin heavey...

My Kodak Retina Reflex 4 is another generation ( and no batteries needed)