Does anyone have a Junior starter they want to sell me?

A dedicated area for Porsche Tractor Chat

Moderator: hot66

vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Does anyone have a Junior starter they want to sell me?

Post by vwgillybilly »

Hi.

As above. I may be able to get a new solenoid for mine but I would be willing to buy a complete unit (or solenoid). Mine fried yesterday after a mile or so run out across the fields. Luckily it went when I got back and not on the run out!

Thanks.

Gill.
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Ok, I stripped the starter and all seems to be reasonably ok aside from the solenoid.....

As you can see the solenoid cap has cracked causing a short inside. There were blind rivets holding the cap on so I tapped them out to reaveals a mass burnt wires!

So...... 10 handle starts later & I now have two solenoids (pics to follow) neither of which are 100% correct but too close to turn down!

Update on progress coming soon!
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

I must be getting more anal as I get older! Here are some pictures of the solenoids I managed to procure for the Porsche starter.....

Firstly the 'Vintage Bosch Porsche 356' solenoid listed on ebay which I won for £8 including postage. This is identical to the tractor solenoid in pretty much every way apart from the fact it is 6v, however it could be re-wound to 12v.

Secondly the NOS Bosch one I got from ebay USA for about £40 including shipping. This one came off a vintage Sachs snow mobile & again has the same plunger etc as the tractor solenoid & is 12 volt. The only issue with this one is there is no mounting flange, however I have cut two flanges from 3mm plate & can drill them then lightly tig weld one in place, hopefully without getting the solenoid too hot.

If you think this is anal, sad & over complicated try getting hold of a solenoid with Bosch part number SSM 120 L11Z - even Bosch UK don't acknowledge it was ever produced & the only other non-Porsche tractor I can find with one on is a Fendt Dieselross!!!

All good fun anyway!

Gill.
914-6
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914-6 »

Hi Gill,
I fully understand your problem getting a 2nd hand starter, I've been on the look out for months for a 2 cyl one, I have bought a junior starter which I may part with-- not sure yet if I need it for my juniors, give me a call if you can't get sorted.

cheers

Ian
formula vee-
'60 356b rhd CONVERTED TO "A"
'67 912 rhd SOLD
'69 914 Crayford RHD
'71 914 Crayford RHD
'69 911s lhd
'71 914/6 race car
Marcos SOLD
66 CHEVY pick-up
57 CHEVY Pickup
Porsche Tractor
2 X PORSCHE PINBALL M/C
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Thanks for that Ian!

I'll post some pics up of the starter as it is now, I rebuilt it with the 12v solenoid & it is sticking so I used the 6v one & it seems to work a treat (on the bench test at least)! I should hopefully have it re-fitted at the weekend.

I'd be interested to know how much you wanted for the Junior starter? Could you pm me your contact details please?

Have you tried contacting John Hearn or Tommy at DLD tractor spares in Ireland about a starter?

Thanks.

Gill.
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109