Hong Kong.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Fitz
DDK above all

Hong Kong.

Post by Fitz »

Hi all,

I'm off to Hong Kong on Sunday for a couple of weeks and I just wondered if anyone can suggest things to do, places to see, restaurants worth visiting etc.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Try Lan Kwai Fong for bars :drunken:

Have a drink in the bar at the top of the Penninsula Hotel, go up the Peak and the races if they are on.

have fun!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

i've not been to hong-kong since it came back under chinese rule, so any of my knowledge is truly out of date! what i will say is you shouldn't be short of things to do and if you're anything like me will love the place..

sorry for being zero help, and have a great trip! 8)
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

You won't be able to avoid the airport. Nowhere near as much fun on the runway as the old one but the airport is great.....

Walk up to the peak from the mid-levels escalators. Get your toes twiddled... breakfast spread at the Marriott is something to behold... pretend you're an HSBC customer and go up their banking hall.... Disney. Star Ferry around the Harbour. If you can get there, try the seafood places over on Lantau island

As the good pharmacist says, Penninsula over on Kowloon is great - the gents gives you a fantastic sense of what it must be like to be very powerful (pishing on the little people).
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

great view of the harbour lights from the Interconti Hotel bar. also rooftop swimming pool with unbelievable view. the bird market is not that touristy and v good.
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

Star Ferry, best value transport in the world!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

There is quite a decent air-cooled following over there, though more folks seem to like 964s than early cars.

I could find out if there's a meeting for you...

Surely that's what you had in mind? ;)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

- Star ferry across the bay is great. Night time view across the bay from Kowloon is stunning
- Lan Kwai Fong is an experience in ex-pat drinking, the quieter bars (in my opinion) are at the top of the hill on Hollywood road
- Good shopping between Nathan road and Canton road on Kowloon side. Massive Harbour city shopping mall on Canton road. Small cool independent stores in the Silvercord mall opposite. be prepared to be asked many times if you want to buy a copy watch whilst on the streets.
- Some good shopping around Causeway bay day and night.
- Gaylord indian restaurant in Kowloon is good
- There are afew local restaurants in the same street which look interesting, and a nice french place at the top of the road.
- The Pawn in Wan Chai is my new favourite restaurant, great building and food. Don't be put off by the bar, the restaurant is upstairs.
http://www.thepawn.com.hk/
- Walk it all off with a walk up and around the Peak

Where are you staying? It is a very interesting and exciting place :)

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Anthony

if you're staying there for that long, you should also try going round to the south side of the island, its the green side and such a strong contast to the north side...Repulse Bay, Deepwater Bay or Stanley....go up to the Peak and have lunch or dinner in the Peak Cafe

in the last few years the bars around Hollywood Road have come into their own as Jury says, lots of tiny but cool places, take a walk along Hollywood Road, or Wyndhan Street or around Saunton Street...Wanchai is the same as its been for the last 10-15 years...a bit dated now but still worth a night out, the girlie bars are all extremely tame and worth wandering into a few for a late evening beer...if you want to do an all nighter end it in a massage parlour at the Causeway Bay end of Lockhart Road

if you like Indian food there are plenty in Hong Kong, the Curry Pot on Lockhart road is now 20 years old and serves good food, the Chilly Club is good Tai, also in Wanchai, there all simple and straightforward but are part of the character of the place....Dim Sum places at lunchtime are plentiful, the name just escapes me as I write this but there's an old established on at the bottom of Stanley Street in Central

make sure you take the tram....just get on and try and get on the top deck, doesnt matter which way its going as when you get to the end of the line, you just come back again

take a ferry out to Lama and try out the seefood one evening...its not the best in the world but all the restaurants are clustered together and have a real atmosphere

do you know anyone there....?....you can hire a Junk and do the Sunday afternoon thing and head out for a cruise...take plenty of beer and your sorted for the day....

roof top bars are now more common, forget the name just now but there a very smart one on the top of Princess Building in Central, just over the road from the Mandarin Oriental...and there's another in Wanchai....if you want I'll get the names, new restaurant on the top of the Mariot above Central called the Upper House has great views too

Racing at Happy Valley on Wednesday evening's is a real experience

HSBC bank is easy to get into the main banking hall, its public access and they are used to it, airport is still good after 12 years, the whole place is very special, but I'm happily biased as I've lived/worked and visited it for the last 20 years

enjoy !!

Jp
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

Mike wrote:Star Ferry, best value transport in the world!
Blimey! I'd forgotten about that one! :lol:

Great place. Get down to the fish markets for a mad experience. And do I remember a place called "Snake Alley"? Something like that I think? Loads to see out there - I did 3 wks and barely touched the surface to be honest. Enjoy! 8)
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
carreracat
Married to the DDK

Post by carreracat »

yung kee for the roast goose

best roast goose in the world some say!

http://www.yungkee.com.hk/ (pronounced yung gay!)
Cheers
Mark
1989 Merc 300TE, 1983 911 SC cab, 1980 924 Le Mans, 1977 Porsche Turbo, 1973 E Type FHC
Fitz
DDK above all

Post by Fitz »

Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

I have been there before but only spent a few days there last time so I didn't have much time to explore ...too much time spent comatose after very long nights out. :wink:

I do have a friend who works out there but this trip I am meeting my brother who is teaching English in mainland China. The schools close down for a month because it is Chinese new year so rather than him coming back here to our glorious weather I'm going out there.

I have a thirteen hour flight from Heathrow, my brother has a nineteen hour train journey to get there. :lol:
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

There's also a cracking gelateria on the mid levels escalators: left hand side as you go down from Hollywood Rd (one or two escalators)

This stuff is important!
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

if you also want a moment of civility in a mad town, pop into the Chinnery bar on the first floor of the Mandarin (old building)...its timber lined wall panels, leather chairs have a wonderful feel....beer is still served in metal tankards and it has a fantastic whiskey menu
its been there for donkeys years and is just a little gem
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

On a slightly different track go to Cannon Street in Causeway Bay it is full of pet shops. The Chinese are not so precious about their pets as we are so therte are loads of different animals on display. It really is very interesting. Also try Yuen Po Street Bird Garden / Flower Market / Goldfish Market. It's not that I am animal obsessed you understand but these things are very different and birds and goldfish are heavily entrenched in Chinese culture.
Also, get an Octopus card and use the MTR (Metro) it is excellent value for money and beautifully modern and clean. Card also works on the Star ferry, the tram, busses and the Peak tram.
Have fun
Jon
1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion