all the small things.. ..an e39 apreciation post (NP)

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

seawise wrote:these cars were BMW at their best, downhill since.
A bit like the 993 - just couldn't be bettered, and what followed wasn't even close :wink:

P
--
DDK Member #890
swapped
DDK slapper chatter

Post by swapped »

Well I hope you're right about these e39 things, as I've just bought:

This one!

'03 530d SE - I don't know what these come with as standard, TBH, but this one has leather, electric memory seats, front and rear parking radar, auto headlights and wipers, and 18" m-tech alloys.

Sits a little high on those wheels if I'm being critical, but rides well enough so I'll probably leave well alone.

82k miles and a nicely documented history, and popped up for sale just half an hour up the road to me.

Sorry Audi, but I have spent the 18 most boring motoring months of my life in your A6 TDi Sport, and it's time for a bit more go and a few more luxuries 8)

Picking it up on Saturday morning - wish me luck - and please remember to let me out of side-roads occasionally..
Peter
I luv DDK!

Post by Peter »

I've had my e39 Touring from new (bought almost 12 years ago) and every time I think about changing my car I struggle to find anything I like as much, let alone more!

Great cars.
Peter
'72 911T
'52 80” Series 1
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

swapped, that looks fantastic, but then i am a little bias given it looks just like my car ;)
looks a bit like a champagne edition but i think they were all sports models and had black a/b/c-posts so guessing its just a beige interior.. very cool either way 8)

if you think of lowering it, look out for some m-sport struts and springs on ebay (they do come up from time to time where people are fitting coil-overs) and are good for 125k plus if mines anything to go by.. anything aftermarket feels quite crashy or bouncy in comparison

if you think about "tuning it up a bit" have a look at a cat bypass pipe rather than a remap; brings lower exh. temp, back pressure, etc., with it and the cats are not required for the MOT.. gives similar performance increase to a remap and about 1/2 the price

also, if its not been done make sure you do the following bits asap..

- replace the oil seperator filter with one from the newer e60 530d as this is 60k mile service rather than 12k and the 12k ones often get missed.. this will save your turbo! (costs about £20 and takes 1/2hr to replace)

- remove "swirl flaps" and fit blanking plugs. You can buy these off ebay from a seller called something like 'sparks and noise'. they're not that expensive but removes another big problem; about 3hrs work if you do it yourself but a mechanic will do it in about 2hrs. The swirl flaps are a potential killer as they can drop into the engine and kill everything from inlet to exhaust!

there's good info on both of these problems and how-to's on bmw5.co.uk, or if you want drop me a PM and i can give you some more specific details

hope you enjoy the e39!

b :)
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

should have probably mentioned, to check whether you have swirl flaps (there's lots of discussion about which cars do and don't have them) stand infront of the car with the bonnet open, and feel along underneath the inlet manifold (n/s). The swirl flaps are basically rotating flaps in the underside of the inlet manifold connected together by a rod, with an actuator at the bulkhead end of the manifold..

the function of them was to change the air-path through the inlet manifold at idle to give a smooth idle. Problem is they can fall to bits and drop into the engine! Removing them gives a slightly lumpy idle under certain conditions (I've only noticed twice in 18mo, both after 8hr motorway drives so the car was v.hot)
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

been avoiding this post because i thought e39 was a moisturiser
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Helen wrote:been avoiding this post because i thought e39 was a moisturiser
Brilliant!
smallspeed