Site admin and the Boss

912 Register - me confused

Post by Bootsy »

I'm confused - not that it takes much.

I just received an email regarding the launch of http://www.912register.com/

So is Gavin's site now redundant?

Could somebody explain! Thanks
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

This website is owned and maintained by Paul Sutters and Rick Horvath.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

nick-moss wrote:
This website is owned and maintained by Paul Sutters and Rick Horvath.
I saw that but then it says it's the official PCGB 912 Register site within the branding etc.

Will Gavin's site and forum stay?

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Bootsy wrote: Will Gavin's site and forum stay?
I for one hope so - nice forum Gavin has going there.

The 912register.com are using the PCGB as their forum:

'We have a fantastic forum, on the PCGB site, which is linked to at the top of each page' :roll:
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

That was my confusion.

"The only 912 register affiliated with the Official Porsche Club of Great Britain."

"Neither the Porsche Club Great Britain nor Dr.Ing.H.c.F.Porsche AG are responsible for this website or its content. "

"'We have a fantastic forum, on the PCGB site, which is linked to at the top of each page'"

So this is the official site of the PCGB 912 Register but the content is independently managed?

I'm sure Rick (and Gavin) will be along to clarify - just seems that a relatively small community will be fragmented further?

chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

I really can't understand this sort of action?

Why not build on what Gavin has so successfully set up and what is the best uk reference/community there is for the 912 (along side ddk!)

http://www.912register.co.uk/

David
Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

I got the same email, no idea about the 'other' register, guess it's a PCGB thing.

Business as usual at 912 Register (co.uk) Towers.

Thanks for the kind words btw! :drunken:
Gavin Joule
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think Paul Sutters is DDK member BAN430G
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
PSut
DDK forever

Post by PSut »

To clarify - yes this is the official site of the PCGB 912 Register - but the content is independently managed.

The 912 Register PCGB has been running since 1965 - it's not as if this is anything "new" - our intention is not to challenge the other forums in existence.

On the contrary, we are hoping that this additional resource for the 912 community will be of interest, and we've recieved several positive emails already from owners including DDK'ers. As mentioned on the site anyone is welcome to our events regardless of club membership - we personally are paid-up members of multiple clubs (including DDK and TIPEC) - this is partly why we put the disclaimer about ownership of the content. As you mention the 912 community is small and we don't want to exclude people by charging money to benefit from the Register, although many DDK'ers are already PCGB members. It's all about the cars and driving as far as we're concerned - we have no interest in club politics.

We recognise that DDK is the main forum for early Porsche owners and we have provided a link to DDK under the "912 Resources" section of our website. We hope that we can contibute and bring something extra to the community with our access to PCGB resources and contacts. The new Chairman recognises that Heritage models are especially important to the club and is keen to grow the early model registers - there are plans for far more 912 & 914 magazine articles and events - the new website is just the starting point.

regards
Paul & Rick
Der Fudgemeister
DDK addict

Post by Der Fudgemeister »

Hey Up Si Thi'

I'll just put in my two penn'orth FWIW. Both Paul and I have no intentions of rocking the boat within the 912 enthusiast community. We have every respect for DDK, 912 Register UK, TiPEC, 912bbs and PCGB. We have no intention of 'Treading on anyone's Toes' with this but feel that we just want to provide an outlet for anyone be they PCGB or ex PCGB members who want to share there passion of all things 912 related. I for one am NOT a typical PCGB member. I live in a ex-council flat, separate Rat Sh*t from the Rice Crispies and Cocoa Pops for a living within Local Government (Without the use of Mentalfloss :x ), shop at Netto, Aldi and Lidl and my everyday runabout Renault 5 costs me more to insure than what i paid for it, (250 quid!). Not exactly yer average PCGB member.
Damn it clubs such as DDK and TiPEC started because many folks believed that PCGB did not fulfill their needs for their favourite Porsche. Slowly but surely SOME folks within PCGB realise this, myself and Paul included, and we just want to address the balance. I for one am not exactly a 'Black Tie Dinner' type of bloke and had i not been broke this year :cry: would be heading to CLM in July as its the bestest classic car bash i've ever done.
It's bad enough having to deal with 'Bolloticks' in my day to day job without having to face it in my classic Porsche hobby :(
I may be banned from the 912 Register UK forum, (Dunno really why but if yer reading this Gavin then i'll gladly chew the fat over a few scoops of ale fella).

Life's too short to get angry with your hobby, something that should give pleasure and enjoyment and not grief and anger.

Time for a shot of 90% Polish Spiritus methinks :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

'Sobriety is the Curse of the Drinking Classes' - K MARX
T'is better to drive a Slow car fast than a Fast car S L O W L Y

Rick 'Fudgemeister' H & 912E #576, Fudge!

1993 Renault 5 Campus - 2 of 'em!!
1975 912E - Gone to MALTA
1974 SANYO BRIEFCASE MUSIC CENTRE
1967 DYNATRON COPENHAGEN RADIOGRAM
ar_kid
DDK Fanatic

Post by ar_kid »

I’m thinking that Polish Spiritus would make for good injector cleaner!

Totally get where you’re coming from Rick, having spent a good few years on the bones of me backside so respect for having a go at opening up the PCGB scene to the more humble.
I may be banned from the 912 Register UK forum
Got to be some kind of a mistake, is no one feeling the love anymore? :love1:
PSut
DDK forever

Post by PSut »

BAN430G wrote:We recognise that DDK is the main forum for early Porsche owners and we have provided a link to DDK under the "912 Resources" section
We would also happily provide a link to the "912 Register UK" if this ban were to be lifted. Until earlier this year I visited their forum regularly, until out of the blue I was banned for my association with PCGB. I was saddened by this and even connected with some members on Facebook to keep in touch. I don't know the history if these "red-tape" issues, but apparently they go back 12 years, at which point I wasn't even old enough to have a driving licence let alone a Porsche and PCGB membership.

Whatever the historical tensions were, surely the community can leave these behind us?? Rick and I were not involved - new people are running the club now and I can assure you attitudes have changed towards early car registers - proved by events organised and articles in the magazine. As Rick mentions we're not trying to rock the boat here, and in particular the name "912 Register" is the original name defined by PCGB in 1965 when our cars were new, hence the url address, we are not trying to copy anybody. We do still have plenty of 912 members and have gained quite a few new owners recently - when they use our website they will see DDK under the links and come on here.

In my opinion - a day of enthusiasic 912 convoy driving on some great roads followed by Rick's suggestion of Polish Spititus is required - don't care who organises it but I'll be there.

If so desired, people can share the stories about all the historical bull*h*t which went on years ago, and have a good laugh about it. Whoever was involved - that's should be their loss not ours. The event we organised on Saturday was a great success and well attended, I hope that most people will enjoy the additional 912 resources and activity besides continuing to support those who have spent some many years building up this community, especially anyone involved with DDK.

regards
Paul
PSut
DDK forever

Post by PSut »

A few photos from our event in May 2010.
Thanks to all those who attended, great to meet some other DDK'ers there.

PSut
DDK forever

Post by PSut »

Photo's from our latest event - joint 912, 914 and 924 registers day at Gmund Cars.

regards
Paul

PSut
DDK forever

Post by PSut »

Photos from our event on 23rd Aug