chassis strengthening 911 race car

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

pete917 wrote:You should maybe put some strengthening fins/webs on the rear shock towers and a solid mount strut brace in the front.
It's only worth doing this if you have coilovers or are planning to rally. The solid mount brace is almost certainly illegal. Juast a good cage from Custom Cages or similar will be all you need, assuming your shell is rust free :?
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

As has been pointed out it depends what type of motorsport you are intending to compete in. The bible in this country is the MSA blue book and it is pretty clear what you can and cannot do for each type of motorsport. Circuit racing has very limited mods allowed where as hillclimb and rally are more liberal.

The basic premiss is that if nothing is mentioned in the particular race series regulations either way the MSA blue book becomes the guide. For historical racing it's a little more complicated as the race regualtions will refer to a set of historical regulations you should adhear to.

There's no such thing general competition mods so anything you do must be made with a particular race series in mind. Get a copy of the HSCC race regulations, any historical FIA regulations that apply and a copy of the blue book. Otherwise you are shooting in the dark and are more than likely to get thrown out the first time you turn up. If the scruteneers don't find something then one of the other competitors will certainly bring it to their attention.

Ian.
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

IanMcLeod wrote:As has been pointed out it depends what type of motorsport you are intending to compete in. The bible in this country is the MSA blue book and it is pretty clear what you can and cannot do for each type of motorsport. Circuit racing has very limited mods allowed where as hillclimb and rally are more liberal.

The basic premiss is that if nothing is mentioned in the particular race series regulations either way the MSA blue book becomes the guide. For historical racing it's a little more complicated as the race regualtions will refer to a set of historical regulations you should adhear to.

There's no such thing general competition mods so anything you do must be made with a particular race series in mind. Get a copy of the HSCC race regulations, any historical FIA regulations that apply and a copy of the blue book. Otherwise you are shooting in the dark and are more than likely to get thrown out the first time you turn up. If the scruteneers don't find something then one of the other competitors will certainly bring it to their attention.

Ian.
Sounds like sound advice......expensive to correct after the event, so to speak!
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

From the HSCC 70’s Road Sports Championship Regulations 2009

Only minor modifications to engine and suspension are permitted; body shells must remain as standard.

The following Articles of MSA Appendix Q Safety Criteria Regulations will apply:
MSA (C(c)44 - 50): Safety roll over structures are mandatory. Roll over protection devices are permitted only in the configurations shown in drawings in the MSA Section (C(c)Appendix 2) Technical Notes. Roll-over mars must not become a chassis extension.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

the guys that do this will still do something Im sure. I'd speak to someone who has been competing for a bit and see what he's been able to get away with :wink:
jonny911
DDK Seasoned Poster

chassis strengthening 911 race car

Post by jonny911 »

Well lads thanks for all your input.
Have read the regs and the blue book and the chassis will remain standard except for the six point cage generally used in historic motor sport.
As was pointed out the grip offered by 6 x 15 wheels shod with yokohama tyres won`t give the chassis too much of a hard time.
964 RS lightweight
1972 2.4 T