Neutek cam installation problem

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Airhead
DDK addict

Neutek cam installation problem

Post by Airhead »

Just tried to fit the timing gear to my neutek sx1 cam as part of an engine rebuild. Removed the gear from the old camshaft okay and came to slot it on the new cam only to find I cant locate the dowel pins.

Now I expected them to be a snug fit but still expected to be able to push the gear on by hand with the gear on the bench and a bit of a wiggle perhaps. Decided to see if they could be persuaded with a few gentle taps using the appropriate sized punch. Put some soft jaws in the vice and used it to hold the cam while I tried this and still no joy. Loosened the vice to my horror to see part of the thrust face fall off in my hand like a piece of cheese!

Obviously not happy but not sure what to do now, should the thrust face material be that soft/brittle? Can this sort of thing be repaired? Cant really afford to write it off as a total loss.

Obviously I wish I'd left it alone now and sent it back without trying to tap the pins in. :roll:

Need a beer now anyway before I torch the car (haven't been able to drive it for a year while collecting/saving for parts!) :(
Airhead
DDK addict

Post by Airhead »

No one has an oppinion then? Should I look into a welded repair to the thrust face or put it down to experience and start saving the cash for a replacement?

Should the material break off that easilly? Could I have one that hasnt been hardened properly or is it just the lobes that are put through this process?

I've looked at the dowel pins again and they can be fitted they're just bloody tight so I dont think there's a problem there necessarily.
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

My only comment is based on chipping a section off an Imp sport cam, Yes, they are very fragile ! I threw it away as it was not too rare or irreplaceable !
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Have you called Brad? At NLA

These are his babies I mean he is the guy behind them.. Sorry to hear of problems I am about to do the same job my self.. I will look out for this then

100% sure they have sent you the right part?
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Nuetech Cam

Post by Mike Smith »

Sorry mark but they are NOT Brads babies - he is only an agent for them

Who did you buy it from- ?

Mike
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

i thought Brad was Newtek?
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Brad only sells them - he does not manufacture them

Perhaps Airhead will tell us where he bought his unit ?

Mike
Airhead
DDK addict

Post by Airhead »

I bought all my parts from Andy at AJP-Engineering.

Next port of call was to ring and ask for his advice on the issue as soon as I'm off work on Thursday. Just thought I'd share my pain here first and see if anyone could confirm or deny the witchcraft that seems to surround welding of cast materials! So far the results of the straw poll seem to suggest I should bin it and start again.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Thanks Airhead (Wish we all used proper names),

The Pins ARE very tight even on a Standard Porsche Unit and it is necessary to make sure that everything is supported fully when carrying out any sort of Pressing or Pulling

The decision you have taken is correct - You should always give the supplier the chance to make comment and I think that we would all like to know what Andy says and also what the final outcome is

From my point of view I have never fitted a Nuetech Cam (for no other reason than I have not had the need to) but I would like to know if there is a problem - `fore warned is fore armed`

AND FINALLY - Your problem is the reason that - `you should help ALL the UK Product Suppliers by buying from them`

YOU CAN GO BACK WITH YOUR PROBLEMS and let them worry about negotiating with the manufacturer 5,000 miles away - Its cheap insurance

Mike
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Hi here is my two pence worth , the cam is knackered , if it could be fixed what if it let go later on it would be like a little bomb going off in there , the dowels are a very tight fit and its not unusual at all to see tiny cracks radiating from the hole to the rim on the end of the cam on original porsche items , I would suggest you tell the guy you got it from your issues and ask him to fit the next one , they are a bit of a pain.
Best regards Bill.
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

356 Cam Gear

Post by Mike Smith »

Good Morning Airhead,

Would like to know - where you are with this little problem now ?

Mike
Airhead
DDK addict

Post by Airhead »

I've not gotten very far with the engine of late due to illness but I'm holding back on calling about the camshaft due to lack of funds. Assuming the worst outcome I'll wait till I have the cash to order another if necessary.

Asking a few people I've come accross in the interim though the response has been varied, some think welding wont hurt it some do. It'd have to be carried out by someone experienced in welding cast materials though. My concern would not be the integrity of the repair rather the potential for the pre-heat involved to affect the case hardening on the lobes.
Airhead
DDK addict

Post by Airhead »

Thought you might like to see this :oops: .....I've sent a copy to Andy for his diagnosis

Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Cam Problem

Post by Mike Smith »

I think you would probably get away with it but it would be your call and I would wait for Andy`s response

Mike
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Silly question how much are neutek cams with our current exchange rate.
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.