Re-Chroming

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Jossers
DDK Newbie

Re-Chroming

Post by Jossers »

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a really good reliable place to send parts from my '58 A Coupe to be re-chromed? The car currently has the original chrome which is starting to show its age (basically down to the brass in a lot of areas!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Steve
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Few and far between if you find some one let us know but check out gavins web site www.912register.co.uk and he used a chrome place it's on his web site under suppliers or links or some thing
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Chroming

Post by Mike Smith »

I agree - It is very, very hard to find `Really Good` Chromer`s

However. it is not really so much the Chroming, as the Pre-polishing that is a problem

They always Over Polish which ends up knocking off all those sharp edges and altering the fit of pieces that are pairs

London Chroming have been the most reliable for us and they do work for other 356 dealers, so hopefully they may have learnt what is required - BUT they are not pefect

The final outcome will only be as good as the guy who is carrying out the polishing and he may be a young guy that started that morning

Each piece needs polishing in a slightly different way or direction but how are you going to control that unless, you personally know, all the possible problems yourself and you stand over the man while he does it

It is easy to polish right through a Door Handle
Door Frames and Rear 1/4 Frames must be lightly buffed along their length but take care not to give them a curve across their width - the mitred corners only need a very light touch, or the angle of the joint is altered and there will be a gap when they are reassembled - so it goes on

For 100 Point Restoration we send everything to one guy in the USA - BUT think TIME and MONEY

If it does not need doing - leave it alone and live with the patina

Mike at PR
Jossers
DDK Newbie

Post by Jossers »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting a reply, I'm looking into a few chroming companies one in East Sussex and another who SportWagen use for their projects.

I'll let you know how I get on and will post pictures in the near future.

Regards

Steve Joslin

PS the gearbox is still holding up!
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Remember what I say about -`He who carries out the Polishing`

Mike