RECOMMENDED WAX PROTECTION

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Roadrunner
Married to the DDK

RECOMMENDED WAX PROTECTION

Post by Roadrunner »

I'm just nearing the end of the body refurbishment on my 2.2E, and the time has come to make a decision regarding wax protection. For factory finish originality, I believe I'm right in saying I should go for a clear finish - does anyone have any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

www.fluidimages.co.uk

www.fluid-images.co.uk
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Think Barry's article covers just about everything you need

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12954
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Barry`s article is Excellent and the only addition that I would make to it -
Is to consider using Tectyl- which we find to be excellent and in our opinion a better product than Waxoil

Tectyl was in use in the 50`s and although we do not claim to have been using it since then - we have used it for the last 25years

It is available in Aerosol Cans and in Bulk

Type 506 for Flat Areas (400 ml Can)
Type ML for Cavity Areas (600Ml Can) - this comes with a small flexible Tube

Naturally we sell it

Mike at PR
Roadrunner
Married to the DDK

Post by Roadrunner »

Many thanks - great info.

Is general consensus that it is best to use clear throughout ?
Nige

Post by Nige »

I'd use clear, so any painted areas remain in colour and you can also what is happening below the wax finish. Although I think you are getting mixed up abit with the black tar like finishes, which are generally good at hiding the rot rather than preventing it. As Mike says really, also Dinitrol is highly regarded.

checkout

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp? ... t=Dinitrol
hot66

Post by hot66 »

UUL442 wrote:Barry`s article is Excellent and the only addition that I would make to it -
Is to consider using Tectyl- which we find to be excellent and in our opinion a better product than Waxoil

Tectyl was in use in the 50`s and although we do not claim to have been using it since then - we have used it for the last 25years

It is available in Aerosol Cans and in Bulk

Type 506 for Flat Areas (400 ml Can)
Type ML for Cavity Areas (600Ml Can) - this comes with a small flexible Tube

Naturally we sell it

Mike at PR
Mike, how much for the Tectyl in aerosols? pm me if you prefer :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mike, funnily enough I was making enquiries recently as to what would be a 'higher grade' than Waxoyl.

I'd heard of Tectyl a while ago, but couldn't remember it's name.

BTW, I'm hoping to re-do the cavity waxing article in two months or so. New plan is to show each section that needs doing on a very, very bare shell. Hopefully this will illustrate where the wax needs to be placed, and why. The shell will be stripped back far enough to see inside most of the cavities, and hopefully will be of some interest to any would-be cavity wax'ers 8) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Paul64
DDK above all

Post by Paul64 »

I have a place on hold at Rustmaster (which I will probably confirm this week) to apply protection to my car.
I had a chat with the guys there and they suggested that Waxoyl was best for the cavities however, for the under wing sections, a clear product from Dinitrol would perhaps be better to keep the paint colour visible - as long as there's not too much in the way of use in bad weather; it's not as resilient and would need regular re-application.
The Waxoyl underbody product is more opaque and that would disguise the colour.

Paul
1972 Carrera RS 2.7 (0024)
1992 MB 500E (It's a Porsche!!)
2007 Smart Fortwo CDI
2.4TE
DDK above all

Post by 2.4TE »

Barry- look forward to your updated article as I was about to do my cavities, but will probably wait for you! Your original article was excellent.
Dr Dave

1972 2.4 TE
2009 V8 Vantage

Guildford
Surrey
Barry

Post by Barry »

:oops: Awww, shucks :roll: .

Re-reading it, there's plenty to revise, both to make the reasoning behind each part clearer, and to improve the process a bit as well.

All being well, that particular shell will be here in 4 weeks or so, and then I can get going ....
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Tilmor
DDK addict

Waxoyling

Post by Tilmor »

I have found that using the Clarke wax injection gun and lance (sold by Machine Mart ) together with waxoyl works well for cavities and large underside areas, the gun and lance are big enough to take unheated but well stirred Waxoyl.
For clear top up and small maintenance jobs I use Bodyline cavity wax aerosol, it is relatively cheap and it is available from all Partco branches. The lance is only 8mm diameter needing tiny access holes , the liquid itself is quite thin, so gives a fine spray when used without the lance.
stuby
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by stuby »

I have a contact who was a rep for Dinitrol, tells me that there is a Dinitrol product for absolutely every type of application on motor/ marine.
Can pass on your details to him if anyone is interested.

Stu
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!