Newbie from Glasgow

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Newbie from Glasgow

Post by kitchens »

Hi All
I am new to this forum,I meet a few of you guys at the Scottish run as I am a member of the PCGB and drive a 2001 996 3.4 tip cab ,please do not hold that against me ,this is my 8th Porsche since 1993 ,and seeing your older cars have given me a hankering to look into a possible purchase .I spoke to Mike and he advised me to look at I think 911 2.2 as the most reliably I could be wrong as truthfully i cannot remember what he said as all your cars looked amazing ,can anyone give me pointers as to what and where to look I can be contacted by email
brian.wood2@tiscali .co.uk
I did see a 912 on pistonheads lhd for 10k and was wondering if this is what i should be looking at any advice welcome i rather liked Helens Sporttronic as i like autos as you can see i know nothing about the older models

Thanks
Brian
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Hands off my sporto Mr Kitchens :lol:

welcome to DDK.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Hi Brian, welcome to DDK. I'm glad that you enjoyed your day out and I'm sure that you will get plenty advice here on a suitable purchase. Look forward to meeting you again.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Hi Brian and welcome to DDK. This is Mike and the best advice to give you following on from our chat at Loch Tay is to do lots of reaserch on the different models. I know to a newbie they all look pretty similar but there are lots of differences. You need to have a budget in mind and be prepared to ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on DDK.

A few main points.

'Early' cars regarded as 1965 to 1973. Commonly known as pre-impact bumper cars.

Before 1969 cars are short wheel base, and then long wheel base up to 1973. Driving characteristics of each are totally different. There are swb and lwb 912's and 911's.

912 :Looks like a 911, agile, economical and pretty swift in the right hands even though it has a 4 cyl engine.

911 swb 2.0 litre engine up to 1969 fast

911 lwb 2.2 litre engine 1970 and 1971 faster

911 lwb 2.4 litre engine 1972 and 1973 fastest

These dates have blurred edges. Nick Moss currently has a car which is a very interesting mix of dates (genuine car). You will find him on here and his website.

911's have different models in each engine size, typically 'T' 'E' and 'S' and then in 1972/3 the 'RS' at 2.7 litres. Again this is an only an outline because there are other subtle differences between models/years especially now there are many lhd imports arriving in the UK.

914, 356 models I know less about but there are dedicated areas on DDK for them with guys who will steer you to a good car.

There have been cars advertised on DDK in the last few months from £3000 to £55000 so you have to be first clear what your budget is and buy the best car you can for that budget.

The main thing is not to buy without asking for advice. There are lots of cars needing work and it would be false economy to buy cheap. 90% of the cars that come up for sale will be known to someone in DDK and those that arn't are quickly investigated. You may see a grey/silver car on pistonheads just now which is being disected as we speak because it appears to be a 'new' car to us.

Good luck in your search.

Regards
Mike
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome to the site, it was a pleasure to meet you and I hope we can all assist you with that hankering for an early car.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

newbie from glasgow

Post by kitchens »

Hi All

Thank's for your replies ..even more confused it is obvious I need to do a lot of research as to what I really want and first thing I should do is go and drive one and see if this is for me ,possibly been spoiled with the creature comforts and modern drive of the 996.

Cheers
Brian

Helen ..£10.000 is my final offer if you through in a full tank of fuel :lol:
Helen
Events Organiser

Re: newbie from glasgow

Post by Helen »

kitchens wrote:
Helen ..£10.000 is my final offer if you through in a full tank of fuel :lol:
Imageyou cheeky wee scottsman you...
:lol:

.i wouldn't part with it for less than £17k with full tank and 11 months MOT
Last edited by Helen on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
member#1182
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Hi Brian

We might have met at Invergarry, I was in the very bright blue 911. It's true that I do have a very interesting Sporto for sale. It's a 2.4T with mechanical fuel injection (MFI), its need some work, which of course I would be happy to do. You will need to fight Helen for it if I can persuade her to get a new wardrobe to match the colour: Fraise!

this is just a sample picture of Fraise, not the actual car
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

ooooohhh thats pretty, i want it. (sod the wardrobe :( )

might have to pay in instalments though, as my banker says NO :cry: :cry:
member#1182
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

Not sure if my nail varnish and lipstick will clash :lol: :lol: is that a Ruby stone red / pinkish colour,to be honest I know nothing about these early cars and there values, and was taken by the auto as this is what I have at present and have had on my last 3 cars ,are they less in demand as manuals .

Brian
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

if you are seriously interested then its worth your while doing a little homework.
buy a few copies of GT Purely Porsche & 911, Porsche World magazines

total 911 magazine did an artical about the sportomatc in their MAY issue using my car as the example.
with sportomatic you still have to change gear, its just the clutch thats automatic........so there is not a clutch pedal. this is not a popular feature and so spotos tend to sell for a little less than their manual brothers do.

have a browes through the for sale section on this forum also on pistonheads as that will give you a feel for prices...i think you might be suprised.

the £17.500 i said for mine was infact mates rates. as if i was advertising it for sale i would be asking over £20k for it. ..its well worth it as early 911 prices are on the up. mines RHD and in stunning condition.
member#1182
EddieDay
DDK Fanatic

Post by EddieDay »

I think there may have been a short period in Scotland last weekend when Helen may have accepted something less than £20k for her car - about the time she was leaving and something frustrating happened (Larry was driving I think) and Kevin did a rescue with a jack (again). But I guess the opportunity for a bargain has now passed.
Eddie
'72 2.4T with E spec. engine
'97 Ducati 900SS, '92 BMW R100R, '67 Triumph Trophy.
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

:lol:
there was a moment there.
Racecraft76
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Racecraft76 »

Welcome to DDK Kitchens.

If you fancy a trip to the 914 side of things you are more than welcome to come have a nosey at mine.

My two cents worth would be to do as much homework as possible and be prepared to travel for the right car. The people here at DDK are very helpfull and steered me away from a couple of potential money pits. From a parts point of view DDK members have been a great source too.
1973 Porsche 914 1.7 (914 EWP) (sold)

A great big 914 shaped void.