The Manhattan Project

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Re: The Manhattan Project

Post by AndrewSlater »

The weekend started well with a visit to the Beaulieu autojumble.
As usual Porsche related finds were a little thin on the ground, although I did manage to haggle some new genuine seals and parts from a German stallholder. I also picked up some more general items that I was missing.

The first job was to finish fitting the fuel expansion tank and washer bottle under the drivers side wing and plumbing in the fuel filler area.

I trial fitted the fuel neck, but soon started to realise all was not right. Here is the trial fitting - spotted what is missing?

There was no way to connect to the vapour overflow pipe that is specific to the early IB cars.
Shouldn't there be a hole in the wing?

I reclaimed my old crusty wing from the shed to check and there was the missing hole ( in the bottom left of the photo ).

Damn I thought I had fully backdated my slightly later replacement wing - but looks like I missed this hole.
I found the original piping and grommet - so that's a 22mm hole that I needed
Now drilling a hole in situ was quite a challenge so I ended up with a small hole and several hours of careful filing so as not to scratch any paint.

After a trial fit the hole was repainted and left overnight. Today I got on with refitting all the parts.
It all looks good now.

And with the original new cleaned yellow fuel flap fitted.

The next job was to fit the front impact shock before final fitting of the washer bottle.

I had bought a good set of bumper shocks, but realised that these are the later M10 thread type. It seems that the very early IBs had shocks with M8 threads fitted. I'm guessing they soon beefed them up to M10 as early ones probably broke quite easily.

To save having to drill my bodywork I cleaned up and painted the original Bilstein shocks.

All the fittings are new with the exception of the rubber sleeved washer, as all the new ones you can buy are for the M10 shocks.

Once fitted I was able to plumb in the fuel expansion tank and the washer filler tank.

Only snag so far is that the washer system doesn't quite work. Not sure why but not getting any feed from the freshly installed washer bottle. One to work out another day.

Whilst tidying up the trunk to trial fit the fuel tank I also test fitted the newly refreshed jack.

As a last job for the day, the freshly painted new fuel tank was trial fitted to check the fuel line fitting.

Once the fuel tank is fitted we aren't a million miles away from thinking about starting the engine up for the first time :bounce:
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Ooohhh.
'68 912
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

jamie wrote:Ooohhh.
Well put Jamie! - I think so too... So much so in fact I might need to employ your services to photograph the bugger if I ever finish it.

So as this restoration has progressed the number of items bagged and stored has been ever so slowly reducing.
Some of the bags I have had to inspect many times over before realising it was an item for later in the build.

One such bag contains my hood crest - so having put it to one side for later on so many occasions I thought I would stop and spend some time to show it some long overdue affection.

The badge was somewhat crusty and unloved and was definitely greener than any other Porsche crest I had seen.
Determined to 'improve' it I have spent considerable time slowly cleaning it in soapy water with a toothbrush.
It's appearance is much 'improved' and at the moment stands like this.

(Apologies for the terrible photo Jamie.)

So I'm thinking that the enamel is all in good shape, but the gold lustre has long escaped. I like the look of it but would prefer it if I had managed to clear off more of the stubborn green tarnish.

Now I know DDK'ers have strong and varied views when it comes to badges - so I ask what would be a good way to clean it a little further without polishing too much life and history out of it?
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Try toothpaste, with a tooth brush.........It will clean it up and is none abrasive
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Nine One One wrote:Try toothpaste, with a tooth brush.........It will clean it up and is none abrasive
Thanks for the advice, but I struggle to choose a toothpaste for my teeth, let alone something more important as per this badge. :lol:

I probably need to find a good dentist with an appreciation and knowledge of Porsche badges to ask - but what's the chance of finding that combination ? :roll:
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

He's not kidding you.
Recently read of toothpaste being used as a fine cleanser for automotive delicate parts.
It is mainly chalk iirc so will be a very fine abrasive and very searching.

a small US clean might do a good job too?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

What about HP sauce/ketchup? Too acidic?
murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by murph2309 »

Leave the badge as it is, it's perfect!

Btw, on the washer bottle I had same issues...I'd done two stupid things, which I'm sure you won't have, but just to share...I got the in and out pipes in the wrong order on the pump and I also fitted the one-way return valves near the screen upside down, so nothing was getting past.... :-)
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

911hillclimber wrote:He's not kidding you.
Sorry didn't mean to sound dismissive about the toothpaste ( I was hinting that Mike [210bhp] might suggest best cleaning practise ).

In the meantime I have used some toothpaste to 'improve' it a little further, but I'm with murph2309 in thinking it is now about right. If I go any further I will only bugger it up (I'm good at that).

As for the washer system pretty sure it is all plumbed in correctly ( I even swapped the pump fittings around to double check ). I think there is no feed from the washer tank as I can't get any water out even if I suck on the tube. I'll have another look at it before I fit the fuel tank.

Once the fuel tank is fitted most jobs in the front trunk become that much more difficult to complete, so I am trying to get everything 100% before the prepared tank goes in.

My new horn set has arrived, so I am trying to figure out exactly it fits under the passenger side wing.
I have the wing brace a 'u' shaped horn bracket and two other brackets. The PET diagram isn't that clear and my car had an air horn fitted when I got it so I have no photo to work from, and not 100% sure if all the brackets are original.

My question is do the horns mount to the 'u' bracket directly or does one ( or two ) mount via an extending bracket? Do the arms point forward or backwards and finally the 'u' bracket arms are bent at an angle, so do the horns point inwards or outwards as the drop?

As always answers on a postcard. :lol:
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Maybe you guys didn't watch Blue Peter? Valerie used to clean old coins with HP Sauce. The early 70's were a great time to be a kid in England....such lovely telly shows, Jimmy Saville excepted.
Horns: sorry, cannot answer completely. Yes, the bent little extenders point the horns down and I believe they go behind the main arm to which they are mounted. I had to replace mine with "normal" Hella items in order to fit my "Euro SC/Carrera" spec oil cooler. The trombone item was mediocre in weather of 85F+.
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

I have now solved the windscreen washer issue. I had plumbed it all in using the PET diagram but a couple of the ports on my washer bottle seem to work opposite to the diagram. Once swapped around it all seems to work fine.

With that sorted, I have now prepared the area ready for the fuel tank install. I have applied a coating of Dynax S50 rustproofing to the areas that are out of view, to help protect some of the metal work hopefully for another 40 years.

As for the horns, I have checked out the wiring and the horns work fine - so just a case of figuring out how the bracket should go.
gtBen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by gtBen »

AndrewSlater wrote:My new horn set has arrived, so I am trying to figure out exactly it fits under the passenger side wing.
I have the wing brace a 'u' shaped horn bracket and two other brackets. The PET diagram isn't that clear and my car had an air horn fitted when I got it so I have no photo to work from, and not 100% sure if all the brackets are original.
My question is do the horns mount to the 'u' bracket directly or does one ( or two ) mount via an extending bracket? Do the arms point forward or backwards and finally the 'u' bracket arms are bent at an angle, so do the horns point inwards or outwards as the drop?
As always answers on a postcard. :lol:
AndrewSlater wrote:As for the horns, I have checked out the wiring and the horns work fine - so just a case of figuring out how the bracket should go.

I found some postcards :salute:

Bengt
911 -74, 924S -86, a111 -55, @lagteknik
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Thanks for the postcards Ben, I've seen the horns mounted vertically before but not necessarily at a 'jaunty' angle before like yours.

Can you tell me are both horns attached to a single piece 'U' bracket or two separate arms ( it's tricky to tell from the photo )?

I ask as I have a 'u' shaped bracket and at least one separate arm.

I will post some photos of what I have to help clarify when I get back to the workshop.

Also a big thanks to Richard who PM'd me some photos of his setup from his '77 car.
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

So here is a photo of my new horns and the brackets I have.

I have trial fitted the horns to the 'u' bracket but also have three other brackets spare!!
Two of the brackets look like Bens

The main underwing bracket is standard and already fitted as below.

I just need to figure out the best way to fit the horns.

In other news the fuel tank is now fitted and all looks good!
gtBen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by gtBen »

AndrewSlater wrote:Can you tell me are both horns attached to a single piece 'U' bracket or two separate arms ( it's tricky to tell from the photo )?
I ask as I have a 'u' shaped bracket and at least one separate arm.
http://team21.se/91174/tuta__.jpg[/img]
Not a u bracket, but two separate arms
AndrewSlater wrote:I have trial fitted the horns to the 'u' bracket but also have three other brackets spare!!
Two of the brackets look like Bens
Yes, it seems you have the right brackets. I can't find my arms and I'm paintshop illiterate but I pasted them onto my earlier picture.

Bengt
911 -74, 924S -86, a111 -55, @lagteknik