1968 Porsche 911 (SWB) on trade classics

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Trantorman
DDK Newbie

1968 Porsche 911 (SWB) on trade classics

Post by Trantorman »

Did anyone see what this got bid up to or know anything about its history?

thanks
https://www.tradeclassics.com/auctions/ ... 911-swb-2/

https://www.tradeclassics.com/wp-conten ... ured-1.jpg
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 1968 Porsche 911 (SWB) on trade classics

Post by Nine One One »

Bottom of page shows the last bid?

£43,500 bid by flatsix 15.04.2021 @ 19:13:44
Trantorman
DDK Newbie

Post by Trantorman »

Ahh, I missed that :oops:

what do we think that car was worth, I am lookIng for one to use and enjoy, so not too fussed about the originality issues it had, but I do no not want a restoration project either.

Thoughts appreciated
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

It’s another one of those with a dodgy identity. Why not leave it with its 912 chassis number and put in the 911 engine and call it a 912-6. After all it’s never really a good idea to be cutting out chassis numbers and re-welding into another shell. I think the car might have been better appreciated as a 912 ‘hot rod’ rather than a ‘cooked up’ 911 which would give it a description more relating to its identity. A lot of money has been spent and I think the final bid reflects its questionable identity rather than the quality of work. Somewhere down the line the car would have to be sold on again and, whilst the owner has been honest about what he has done just now, the muddy provenance can get hidden or conveniently forgotten in future years. I think the final bid value reflects all this.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Trantorman
DDK Newbie

Post by Trantorman »

Mike

Thanks that backs up my own views on it, its potentially a nice using car to enjoy, but selling it will always create some challenges, it would be a nice one to see and buy direct so I could get comfortable with the condition and what it offers, which on the face of it, looks reasonable.

cars like this always seem to drift off to auction sales, which says a fair bit for the back story in my view.

Regards

Les
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

I see this car is now for sale for a fixed price just above the final bid amount which leads me to suspect the previous auction might have been a bit of a fishing exercise.

The ad is full of dealer speak about non originality of the components and how it doesn’t really matter if you are not that fussy. This illustrates just how difficult it would be to sell this car on at this price Les should you take the plunge.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
stuby

Post by stuby »

For the record this is my car, I decided to advertise it with trade classics as they give honest appraisals of the car. I have been totally transparent in describing it, it is a rebodied car, with the original 912 plates available for anyone to see. The auction was not a 'fishing exercise', there was a guide price of 48 to 52k set by Trade classics as they believed that was its value having seen the car in the flesh and done the appraisal. The car is still for sale for anyone who is interested, feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Is the mileage the mileage of the 911 or the 912 or the sum of both?

Joking aside, to me this as a 912 body with a 1972 911T engine and an early 911 VIN number transplanted into it. It looks like a fabulous car, but to describe it as "the purest form of any 911" is frankly embarrassing for you and for Trade Classics. I'm sorry if that hurts but I don't think you can accuse me of being overly harsh. Nevertheless, I found the rest of the ad honest and fair; it's a lovely car and good luck selling it.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
stuby

Post by stuby »

The car is a 68 911, rebodied with a 68 912 shell, the description of the car was left to trade classics. I make no claims to hide anything about the car, on the contrary in fact. Having had the car for so long the decision was made to offer it out there as it just doesn't get used as it ought to be. I really don't care if it sells or not, it's a decent usable car to use as and when. If someone is looking for a matching numbers garage queen then look at twice the price for one.
The mileage is not correct for the engine or the car for that matter, as everything has been rebuilt/ replaced with new.
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

stuby wrote:The car is a 68 911, rebodied with a 68 912 shell, the description of the car was left to trade classics. I make no claims to hide anything about the car, on the contrary in fact.
Exactly, good on you. The history is clear enough, buyers can decide what effect it has on value.
You can't see the VIN when you're driving it....!
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

stuby wrote:The car is a 68 911, rebodied with a 68 912 shell, the description of the car was left to trade classics. I make no claims to hide anything about the car, on the contrary in fact. Having had the car for so long the decision was made to offer it out there as it just doesn't get used as it ought to be. I really don't care if it sells or not, it's a decent usable car to use as and when. If someone is looking for a matching numbers garage queen then look at twice the price for one.
The mileage is not correct for the engine or the car for that matter, as everything has been rebuilt/ replaced with new.
At the point of rebuild you have to submit a V627/1 at which point DVLA register your car's identity but it's common practice to forget to inform DVLA, which is what I probably would do too if I were in your shoes. As regards the question of "should I buy this car" FWIW I understand DVLA's view is that the shell is the car is the VIN. You can reshell with a BRAND NEW shell and lawfully retain the original VIN, provided you have two of the following original items: engine, gearbox, suspension, steering. If you don't have two of those you get Q plates. I'd assume this car has the original suspension and steering from the 911. But if using an OLD SHELL I believe the VIN comes with the shell. And I assume this car doesn't have two of the original items from the 912 car and therefore should legally be registered as a rebuilt 912 on Q plates. So any prospective buyer should be mindful they're getting a bargain early 911, with the extra power of a later engine, in an unusually good condition, but which legally should be registered as a 912 on Q plates, and in the event of any claim, their insurance company might be in a position to cause problems for them. That's the view I would take if I were considering buying it. Still seems like a decent car at the price, all those things considered.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

My view.As we know, the shell was replaced with an identical shell.Whether or not its a 911,912 etc makes no odds.The chassis numbers are the only discerning factor.
So what? If having a car with "correct" numbers is your only route to a restful night,then pay 80k plus for one.
Having been owned for 16 years, and from whats on view, Id sleep well with 40k more in the bank and live with some numbers stamped in a different order.
The car is a bargain.That of course is if you want to enjoy it for what it is.A great driving car, not an addition to a portfolio of investments.
As for long term "saleability" You will find a car thats 50% of the perceived market value,with "questionable" history not any more difficult to re sell as one thats "corrrect" for twice the price.As the price falls, the amount of potential buyers tend to increase.Ive been doing this 30 years,it seems to be true.
The market value for this car 4 years ago, was approaching 100k.Having been written off twice I sold it for 60k.The phone went mental and it was gone in 48 hours.The price opens the market for potential buyers, who desire the marque.A few quibbles can be lived with.