Buying a 912 HELP!!

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Mellow 912
DDK Newbie

Buying a 912 HELP!!

Post by Mellow 912 »

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 912 in the near future and was hoping for some advice at what to look out for?
What are the problem areas and expensive bits to replace?
If it checks out in my opinion can you recommend an expert to have a good look at it?
Are they okay with unleaded?
What sort of MPG do you get and what are realistic cruising speeds?
I've had air-cooled VW's for years so I've a basic idea of where the rot should be.
Are there many parts the 912 shares with the air-cooled VW?

Many thanks!!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome,

I'd always recommend www.912register.co.uk as a good starting point to learn about the model.

There are plenty of people on here who can help and advise.

And yes, get an inspection before buying one.

View as many as you can and if possible buy a good one to start with (it will save you a lot of money in the long run).

Nick Moss on here has a very good one for sale and there is another I know of at www.retromotorcompany.co.uk

Best of luck

P.S There are virtually no parts that they share with Aircooled VWs!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

I agree with Thomas - Gavin's guide to buying on the 912 Register site is excellent, you could also check out the Transend guide at:-

http://www.transend.co.uk/techtips.htm

Also make sure you get a Porsche expert to do the pre inspection as that is invaluable. Depending on where you are in the country I'm sure someone here can help with a recommendation.

I got my car from Retro Motor Co. and I know someone with a really nice 912 from Nick, so both are good trustworthy people to buy from.

Fraser
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
Mellow 912
DDK Newbie

Post by Mellow 912 »

Thanks for the info.
Would you know of anyone that offers the inspection service in the Solihull area (just outside Birmingham) and the timeframes around having one carried out?
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

I used a guy called Trevor Messet who was excellent (I'm sure Thomas, Nick and Alex at Retro can vouch for that). He's in Essex which is a bit of a distance from Solihull but I guess it depends where the car is. Nick and Alex aren't that far and he does a flat rate plus cost of petrol. Once you find a car if you're interested drop me an e-mail and I can send you his phone number. Oh and he does the inspections very quickly - Longest I waited was about 4 days I think!

Fraser
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

FraserMurray wrote:(I'm sure Thomas, Nick and Alex at Retro can vouch for that).
Fraser
Top man - knows his stuff
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

I always recommend Trevor, he inspected the 912 I sold recently and was very thorough.

You could also try Peter Morgan who is based in Marlborough which is a lost closer.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Mellow 912
DDK Newbie

Post by Mellow 912 »

I've been given a number for Trevor but his mobile isn't switched on.
However, I gave Peter Morgan a call this morning after finding his number in 911 & Porsche World ( well I think that's what it's called).
He quoted £250 for a 160 point check but is booked up for the next week.
I'm off to see a 912 tonight so I'll take it from there.

Thanks for all the help!!
Oh yes and what a great forum!! Keep up the good work guys!!
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Trevor's number is 01375 677281
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Mellow 912
DDK Newbie

Post by Mellow 912 »

Cheers Nick,

I'll give him a call
:D
912uk

Post by 912uk »

good luck in finding a 912 ....Solihull oh that brings back merrories....

Remember one thing don't fall in love with a car it's best to walk away and come back to it. There more and more 912's around now so no hurry..

M
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Take some one with to look at the car. It's amazing how much more 2 people find out about a car.
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Mellow 912
DDK Newbie

Post by Mellow 912 »

You're right actually!!
I didn't realise how many 912's there were out there.

I am taking someone with me for a second opinion as 2 pairs of eyes are better than one.
I've been on the various web-sites for what to look for but any final advice from you guys on main areas would be appreciated.
You read some real horror stories!!

Cheers,

Simon.
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Engine cost about £2500 to rebuild on the cheep £5k if done with Mr Prill.

Any quotes of a rebuilt motor needs to be backed up with paper work of some sort.

One good way to tell if the motor has been looked after is has it got a 050 or 031 (org ) disy if it has an 009 ohhh....not good..it's a VW one tends to show the guy servicing it is VW...

Oil is thick and not the runny stuff you stick in your water pumpers

Oil leaks in general

tapping sounds hopefully the engine is adjusted up (valves) so any other noise get your inspection guy to check it out.

Rust.... Well where do you want to start

1st battery area and under the car (suspension) pan Cost about £200 to get and I know a Guy in Surry who will do it for about £375

inside the wings to the body check

floor and sills

Tube under the rear of the car where it means the out side of the body work ££££$$$$ if rusty

Rear suspention arms where they bolt on to the body the 4 big bolts check all round that area.

Door and panel gaps even

the rear of the car the tortion bar caps are they there have they been filled over with filler ....tut tut....

Other than does it feel right

Oh gear box second gear wine check for it .....esp when you drive along and take your foot off the gas and it is still in gear at speed.

Have fun hunting......

M

Don't do what I did buy a car from a pic I got over the net of a car in CA in the USA and the pic was cr*p and about 2" by 4". OK it worked out very well but I would never do it again... my one time of getting away with it I think...
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

Mellow,
How's the search going?

Fraser
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com