re-drilling 914 discs?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

re-drilling 914 discs?

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

call it a moment of madness i'm not sure, but i have decided to definately go 5-lug on my 914, got the wheels, got the lugnuts, got new bearings, just waiting for the hub bits which will be studded from the US.

now I have a set of brand new rear discs in 4 bolt pattern sitting in the garage and to save any uncertainty of 914/6 discs not fitting properly I thought well why not get the ones I have drilled to 5 bolt pattern

Anyone know where I can get it done?

Many thanks one and all :)
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

1970 911 3.6T
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Thought so thanks Derek, I'll give them a call
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

You've obviously considered using 914-6 rear discs -I cant see how they would not fit -If the hubs have been drilled correctly to the porsce PCD.
I had a local engineer drill mine took a spacer so they could measure from.
Are you using 5 stud hubs or redrilling 4 stud? Which wheels are you putting on?
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Hubs? I'm planning on using the ones Eric Shea does - re-drilled, studded and ring-bossed 4 hubs for the rear, if 914/6's will fit ok then will i be better off selling those new 4's that i have? only i read a post on the US site from Eric that sometimes the 914/6 ones don't always fit :?
Wheels? Deep 6x15 fuchs
What do you think?
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Buying Eric's hubs would be the easiest option but it's not that much of a tricky job for local engineer to drill, spotface and press in the studs. might work out a lot cheaper - got mine done for 80 quid I think. If you already have the discs I would personally re-drill but if I need new ones I'll buy 914-6. what are you planning on the fronts?
Fuchs are prob best upgrade you can do visually for a 914
roger
DDK slapper chatter

Post by roger »

I bought some 914/6 rear discs and the 914/4 calipers wouldn't fit - not enough clearance - so beware.
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Ah -right. The 914-6 discs are 11mm and not 10mm so that way there might be fit problems and slightly larger in diameter
I had a look at what Eric offers -really impressed & for 135bucks I'd buy those. I like his strengthening of the boss too although there has never been a failure on the normal hubs that have been re-drilled
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

that's it Roger's got it, some people were either grinding off part of the caliper, or turning down the discs, either way that seems like more faffing about, If it's simpler to drill then I'll get the one's I have drilled.

I'd say Eric's rears are very good value at $135 for a pair, it'll save me going around enigeering works trying to explain what I need done as well.

Fronts? well I'm probably doing the most laziest/easiest/non cost effective option first, again Eric's '5 lug Rotors' very expensive for what they are, and like you say the work could easily be done over here for less, but if I'm honest I just can't be bothered :lol: this setup will at least get me going with the correct look.

my 911 could do with some beefier stoppers up front so the long term plan is to upgrade my 911 fronts to 3.5" and then take all the 3" 911T stuff off and put it into the 14. :P
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Darren, Why not just buy the 911 struts with 3.5 & bolt them on the 914?? :wink:
The machining of 9146 discs is a simpler operation than re-drilling your four stud discs -but won't make any decent machinist break sweat.
I gave up waiting for the 5 stud front discs (about 2 years ago) and bought front suspension from a 911S with 3.5 -but they are a good idea.
-James
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

fourteener wrote:Darren, Why not just buy the 911 struts with 3.5 & bolt them on the 914?? :wink:
:lol: now that would be nice but with at least 200hp in the 911 i think they'll be needed more :wink: , would love to put more some more ponies in the 914 eventually, but that's a long way off

So what's going on with your car James? you must be doing a 6?
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Trying to yes. Have 75% of parts & all suspension is done etc. Car is at painters right now so when it comes back I'll get stuck in.
Trouble is I keep doing 'while I'm in there's'. In the middle of rebuilding carbs I start taking the cylinder tinware out to modify for better cooling...'course then I need a set of adjustable oil-return-tubes, then take tinware to get it powder coated, in the meantime start cleaning the fan etc, so I have a garage strewn with ancillaries in various states of assembly. At least I have completed one carb. I'm just about to tackle the oilcooler mod. I badly need to stop fannying about! :drunken:
Do you have a carerra 3.0 motor in your 911?
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

James I salute you for going for it and doing the 6 swap, when I first got the 914 i foolishly thought oh yeah I'll swap my old 2.2T into it, give this puppy a little bit more power and revs, but when i actually read into properly there is such a lot of mucking about it put me off, plus with one conversion underway I thought best leave it alone until the 911's all finshed.

Sounds like you're doing it right with yours, doing it properly and doing all those 'while your in there's' just means they'll not have to be done again. having got a good feel for the 914 over the past few months I can only imagine a 6 will be a totally excellent experience.

Yes the 911's got a '77 Carrera 3.0 engine, it's now got a really nice bit of grunt, next change is a 915 gearbox so i can utilise all that extra grunt, my 70/71 911 box is struggling with the extra torque

what engine are you using in your 914?
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Any 914 is begging for a six to be installed. It's a 2.4T going in so only a modest output. The six noise + the fact the engine is a bit exotic has always interested me more. The 'warm' four that I have been running is no slouch and you don't always have to go that quick to have fun especially in the corners-still a few extra foot/pounds are always welcome
As for doing it right, that is the only way -but i may cut a few corners to get the thing driving and finish the details next winter.
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Does a 911 rear suspension setup help with any of this ??
Only having stripped my old 911 stuff I have a set, complete with disks, handbrake etc... Spring plates (Adjustable) arms, hubs, shocks the lot !
PM me if any good.
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"