Engine rebuild....no turning back now

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

tomgoodwin3
DDK addict

Engine rebuild....no turning back now

Post by tomgoodwin3 »

Well, the time has finally come to start making serious decisions about my engine.

Started stripping it down yesterday and have promptly found out that the engine is a mish-mash of bits including 1.7 heads machined to accept 93mm barrels (with the standard 66mm crank that makes it a 1.8 as suspected). The engine so far appears to be in really good condition so I could just clean it up and put it all back to together but I don't want to do that....

So, before I start spending all my money can anyone suggest the best places in the UK for parts, machine services etc for Type 4's (already checked out stateside tuning).

I'm also looking at the likes of mittlemotor, pelican, jake raby, etc for parts....

Any suggestions on how best to spend £1000 on a type 4 would be warmly welcomed! :-)
Tom Goodwin

....currently car-less...deciding what to buy....
Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Barry »

Yes, buy a flat six :lol: .

Seriously, as a newcomer to these type 4's, I'm amazed how the money seems to get gobbled up with them: can't work it out.

Does this mean that your bodywork is done? If so, you must have got a serious wiggle on :shock: :) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
tomgoodwin3
DDK addict

Post by tomgoodwin3 »

'Bodywork' and 'done' are still two words I've yet to put together, the body's a long way off from being complete unfortunately! It's my least favourite part of the resto.....I'm a nuts and bolts guy! Anyhow, the engine's in the cellar (as opposed to my friends barn) so I can work on it in the evenings.

I had looked at going down the flat 6 route but I decided against it. I didn't like the idea of having to do all the body mods and then having to source an engine on top of my desire to build an engine to my desired spec.

If anyone can provide evidence of going down the flat 6 route without breaking the bank then it might rekindle my interest.....
Tom Goodwin

roger
DDK slapper chatter

Post by roger »

Tom

You could try talking to Alan at GAC - 01296 613222 and ask him how much to add a turbo. :P

He's really good and his work is excellent.
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate
Pablo
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Pablo »

The heads, carbs & exhaust will suck all your money if you want performance unless you buy second hand.
tomgoodwin3
DDK addict

Post by tomgoodwin3 »

The carbs and exhaust will come under my (yet to materialise) engine breathing and exhaust budget.....that budget will probably end up being diverted to the body budget where it will fall into a bottomless money pit.....Time for a pay rise I think! :-)
Tom Goodwin

davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

Hello, Tom.

Much depends on how good the motor really is..if it is good good, and you have high compression p[istons..you need only add a hot cam, port the heads with 1.8L valves, lighten the flywheel, and put twin 40's on there..or what about megasquirt?

This is good enuff for at least 120 bhp..

Much more will be MUCH more..

It is quite a nice thing to bore the cylinders to take the forged Mahels (94mm) and cut the heads for more compression, and bigger inlets..

And it si quite easy to spend 1000 in the heads..

The six route makes more sense at this point..

Kind regards
david
Pablo
DDK slapper chatter

Hope this helps

Post by Pablo »

Six Discussions Here & Here
remember this is from the land of plenty.

££££££££££'s