My shifter's interfering with clutch tube?? whats going on?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

moggy
DDK rules my life!

My shifter's interfering with clutch tube?? whats going on?

Post by moggy »

I recently decided to renew all bushes etc on my side shifter before I get it MOT'd next Thurs (wish I never started now). After I've got it all back together the shifter now interferes with the clutch cable tube to such an extent that every time I put my foot on the clutch pedal the gearshift moves about 3-4inches. I've taken the carpet up again so I can see whats going on an basically item 18 below is rubbing up against the clutch cable tube.

I'm assuming that the clutch cable tube should be resting on/attached to the floor of the tunnel? This is not the case for me it seems it a few cm's off the floor just underneath the gearshifter. Have I somehow bent the clutch cable tube? have I snapped some sort of mounting that keeps the tube on the floor of the tunnel???

Any ideas whats going on as it was fine before I refurbed all the gearshifter bushes. :roll:
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

Moggy
Are you sure its item 18 on your drawing?

sounds to me like you may have either disturbed the clutch cable conduit while re-installing the shifter shaft or possible threaded the shifter shaft under the clutch cable conduit. You could try removing it again and watching the clutch cable conduit and ensuring the shifter ends up over the top of the cable conduit.

Seems like you are not far off now getting the old girl on the road? did you get the new papers ok in the end?

David
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
roger
DDK slapper chatter

Post by roger »

Moggy

I've just installed a Rennshift gearchange. In the fitting instructions it says that a common problem is the spot welds that hold the clutch tube to the tunnel are inclined to break, so that the tube moves and interfers with the gearchange. Could this be the problem?
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Sorry guys it was 19.

It was indeed the spot welds that hold the clutch cable tube to the side of the tunnel that was at fault. They had completely come away from the tunnel. Fixed it now...not an easy job though :roll:

Car's booked in for the MOT this Thursday...fingers crossed :lol:

Moggy
roger
DDK slapper chatter

Post by roger »

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate