DDK Annual Charity?

Got an idea for the club or website then please post here

Moderator: Miggs

Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

DDK Annual Charity?

Post by Barry »

I'm sure that this must have cropped up before but ...

A certain car auction for charity has highlighted (again) the fantastic good nature and generosity of DDK regulars.

We often swap parts, info, help etc amongst ourselves, not to mention often meeting throughout the year. Additionally we often sell quite expensive items via the For Sale section. Is there any mileage at all in an annual poll to vote for nominated charities giving us the opportunity to donate to a common cause?

Another club I belong to does a similar thing, and quite often we do quite well, and it works well when you don't want any money for something, but the buyer feels a bit duty-bound to pay something.

Food for thought.

BTW I appretiate that there might be the difficullty of where these funds are held and administered, but got to be worth floating the idea?
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

I think it's a great idea.

How about a levy on empty bottles at Le Mans Classic or what about doing something with needy kids on our Northern event?
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
lewis
DDK above all

Post by lewis »

what about doing something with needy kids on our Northern event?
PCGB, I think region 21 met at keech Cottage hospice in Luton and took the kids for rides they had a great time (kids as well) all for supporting charity and I too think its a great idea.

lewis

Post by roger »

I used to belong to the Sporting Bears who exist solely to raise money for children's charities. Very worthwhile and a great thing to do. Need to watch the insurance aspects of the club if you start giving rides though.
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Great idea Barry - happy to support in any way I can :).
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

hot66

Post by hot66 »

superb idea. I do like the idea of selecting a different charity each year. :)

I imagine a good way of raisiing funds would be to produce a 'limited edition' event sticker ( eg Classic LeMans / Northern Event) and 'sell' it to the participants with a margin to be put into the charity fund?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

This is a brilliant idea, especially nominating a different charity each year or event, happy to help out/participate in any way :)
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks chaps, James: nail and head come to mind: exactly the sort of angle I'm looking at.

I'm not thinking of charity events as such, as I suspect that with a bit of lateral thinking there will be plenty of opportunity to build donations into our activities anyway (all voluntary of course: if nothing else, just in case anyone has any ethical issues with a nominated charity). This then keeps any legal issues to a minimum.

Anyway as I see it, here are some points to think about:

1) Who will administer it (I'm very happy to take this role), nominate/vote if appropriate.
2) Accountability: I would suggest the scheme has it's own account, with the administrator plus one seperate person as signitories (sp?).
3) Could it have it's own forum section, with a running total of amount, to give an incentive to supporters, and to aid accountability?
4) We would need a third party to check the accounts at the end of the year: again just to ensure that there are absolutely no doubts as to where the funds are/have gone.
5) Charity to be open to initial suggestions, followed by a DDK poll for the top choices.
6) Tempting though it may be to split any funds between a couple of popular charities (e.g.30%/70%) I think it would be most effective to stay with one annual one, as this would give the clearest message at any events.
7) I have in mind that the nominated charity could be contacted to see if any literature, press packs etc could be obtained and used where appropriate.
8 ) Should we be so successful that funds reach decent proportions during the year, perhaps we ought to agree a maximum account level. When this is reached (assuming we are not in the last couple of months of the year) then a cheque can be made straight out to the charity, so they can have the use of the money A.S.A.P. (and again so there are no questions of accountability/interest etc). Obviously we would still aim to have a further donation at the end of the year.

BTW, does anyone know who may offer a suitable account for this type of thing: obviously it needs to offer free postal banking. I would hope that there would be virtually no costs to running the scheme: I'm happy to do the admin, keep a record of all payments in, pay in the money (hopefully by pre-paid post) and keep the charity thread updated, plus liase with the charity. Any costs that you can think of?

What do you think of a press release in the assorted Porsche press if this goes ahead? Might be good all round publicity for us and the charity? Might also lend some credibility if we decide to collect donations somehow at events?

Anyway just a few thoughts at this point :)
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
hot66

Post by hot66 »

One thing we do need to make sure is that DDK as a club still has sufficient income to run in addition to the charity fund. In other words it would not be good for 'traditional' extra DDK income to be diverted into the charity side leaving the DDK Club with a shortfall....

I hope the above makes sense as I'm not sure if I've typed my thoughts out correctly :?:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Yes, makes sense, good point: mind you, do the subs not cover that? Either way, definately something to consider :)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I agree with all of your points Barry and do not believe we need to look to undertake additional activity to run the club and forum. This will continue to be supported by subs and other minor activity.

Anyone know of a suitable bank account type?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

I'm pretty sure A&L have this type of postal account, as no doubt do most of the major banks plus building societies and even the local friendly post office does a National Savings type account.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Barry wrote:7) I have in mind that the nominated charity could be contacted to see if any literature, press packs etc could be obtained and used where appropriate.
This is our first point of call I'd say...

We’d then be able to liase with them and discuss the use of their name at any of our events or in the press etc., they are really good if you contact them and will offer loads of help and usually give other ideas on things we could do, they may even have some of their own upcoming outdoor events that we could fit into somehow, perhaps show a selection of some cars ???, I dunno, it’s minimal one but it gets us involved.

We’ll need to discuss with the chosen charity first on how we want to pay the funds though if we do go down the route of collecting funds throughout the year, as I know that a lot of charities like to receive the money within 28 days of an event (if fund raising is event specific) we’d also need to get some forms from the charity so that per donation (by credit card etc.) they can reclaim the tax on donations (gift aid) of 28%. Could pose a problem if it’s a yearly donation we want to make as they won't get this benefit. I'm not sure on how long the forms are valid, so maybe our donation could be accompanied by a wad of these forms plus a lump sum from cash donations?. as with cash donations it doenst matter we can pay this over as & when.

It’s all food for thought, but again, a wonderful idea, first thing would be to choose the charity and go from there I reckon, walk before we can run and all that. :)
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Barry wrote:1) Who will administer it (I'm very happy to take this role), nominate/vote if appropriate.
Oh and Barry, you get my vote :wink:
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Maybe anybody interested could suggest a suitable charity and we can then vote on it?

P.S Barry you get my vote as the official DDK Chairty Director!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk