Valves or tubes ?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

581DBP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Valves or tubes ?

Post by 581DBP »

Took my rims into a tyre fitter and was told "cant put valves in them rims, they need tubes"

These are my 4.5" Fuchs... I had a valve in them before......

What have you lot done before with early 4.5 and 5.5 rims ?
It aint cool, unless its air-cooled.. www.paulmccleery.com
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Use valves, not tubes.

Correct valve is TR415:

The tyres also need to be fitted/removed from the rear side of the wheel.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
581DBP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 581DBP »

Excellent, thanks mate...

I was trying to avoid just having black rubber ones. Is there any stainless or chrome sleeved valves available ?

Ive been looking at design911 and found these.

Set of four rubber valves with chrome-finish sleeves and embossed Porsche crest.

These valve stems are normally used with hollow spoke alloy wheels which have a smaller valve stem diameter.
davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

They will work with valves...but..

They are not legal, as they have no hump to prevent catastrophic defaltion/shedding of tyre...

So the tye man is correct..tubes are required..

Tubeless will be OK if you plan no accidents (Insurance asessors look for such things to reject claims), and do not do motorsport I guess..

Kind regards
David
581DBP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 581DBP »

davidppp wrote:They will work with valves...but..

They are not legal, as they have no hump to prevent catastrophic defaltion/shedding of tyre...

So the tye man is correct..tubes are required..

Tubeless will be OK if you plan no accidents (Insurance asessors look for such things to reject claims), and do not do motorsport I guess..

Kind regards
David
Thanks David,

I dont understand what you mean by 'no hump' ?!

I wont be doing any motorsport either as the wheels are going on a 45 year old Volkswagen !
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

This pic may help..

Alan.UK

http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

Hello again.

If you look at the tyre-covered part of a newish wheel, and any Porsche wheel after 1968, they have either one or two circumferential humps behind the tyre bead rim to discourage the tyre from coming away from the rim..which does happen in "normal" road use especially if a slow puncture allows the pressure to fall a bit.

It happened to me once..resulting in my one and only spin on the public road..in almost 40 years of thrashing..a pukka 360 no less..

As I say, an Insurance Assessor would be expected to reject a claim if he found this on any vehicle even if the crash was not caused by it..

Another point from experience..the bling metal valves are also prone to be the cause of disastrous deflation and tyre detachment..I have seen them snap like a carrot with a very minor impact, where a rubber one would just bend back and hold full pressure.

I actually witnessed a big accident involving a Ferrari and Five other cars this very year from this cause.. but I have heard of it several times ..

Stick to yer rubbers boys..

kind regards
David
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

David and the fitter are right. Also any professional who supplies information or parts that could lead to an accident could also find themselves liable. Those are tubed rim, so require tubes for safety reasons. Most fitters would not even fit those valves, even if you tell them that you won't tell anyone or indemnify them. Fit tubes and be safe.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
581DBP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 581DBP »

Ok fair enough, you have convinced me.....much as i dont particularly want to fit tubes or have orrible rubber valves....

SAFETY comes first !
581DBP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 581DBP »

Im trying to find somewhere that sells inner tubes, but without much luck ?

Anyone tell me who in the UK (preferably South East) who stocks or supplies them ?
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I have yet to put the tryes on my 4.5"'s but when i spoke with my tyre guy he seamed to think there would be no probs but he would have to order them in for me.

So I guess ring about once you have a size.

If you get stuck I can push my guy to find out and get some. Southampton/Portsmouth area.
581DBP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 581DBP »

At the moment i have 185/65/15 on the back and 145/65/15 on the fronts...but i am looking to see if i can get 145/55`s as ive been told these are fitted to Smart cars...
JB-L
DDK forever

Post by JB-L »

Might be worth trying North Hants Tyres (they advertise in mags like Bleet Machine or Custard Cart) for tubes.
I love the smell of burnt rubber and hydrocarbons in the morning, it smells of......victory.
early_911
DDK forever

Post by early_911 »

I got my tubes from: www.vintagetyres.com and would emphasise the importance of getting the right size.

The person who fitted mine nipped one of the tubes so took it upon himself to fit replacement (without telling me). Problem - the size was different, it rubbed on the type and let go on the way to Le mans a couple of years ago :shock: .

I now watch tyre fitters like a hawk.

Phil
581DBP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 581DBP »

Yep your dead right there, some places are real nightmares...

The last place dropped one of my rims on a hard floor, i almost ripped his head off....and then left without paying the bill.

I`ll try Vintage Tyres and see what they have !

meanwhile, ive just read this post on another forum about tyres etc..
[quote]
Just to let you know, when a friend took his early 911 in to have the tyres fitted on his 4.5" fuchs, he was told that it would be safer to run the modern radial tyres without tubes as they were designed for use without tubes.

He asked them about the safety bead and they said that it didn't make much difference and if you had a puncture with an inner tube then it would deflate rapidly, possibly causing the tyre to come off the rim

However if you had a puncture with a radial not running a tube then it may not deflate at all thus the tyre would stay on the rim, making it just as safe.

The only problem they encountered was the valve hole in the rim which was larger than a standard hole requiring them to use special valves.

Now i'm sure I will get shot down for saying this but I think that there is some truth in what the tyre fitters said to him regarding the safety bead.

Oh! the tyre fitters were also very experienced with classis cars so i'm sure they knew what they were on about [unquote]

Thoughts or comments....

cheers