Where can I get door seals?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Rose
DDK above all

Where can I get door seals?

Post by Rose »

I've just been told by my garage that my '67 912 needs a new door seal and membrane (that would explain the ringing wet carpets for the last few days!).

I've had no trouble tracking down a seal (Roger Bray). But they don't have a membrane, whatever that is. Can anyone suggest where to look - other than Ebay - And does the door membrane have a more familiar name that would help me track it down more easily?

Many thanks,

Rose
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

911.531.095.02 DOOR SEAL 911 £17.00 from berlyn services plus you will get a discount for being a ddk member

and ask berny about the membrane :wink:
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

i know you didn't want ebay, but Appbiz sell this membrane stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33696
Porscheless but still aircooled
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Hi Rose

The membrane is the plastic sheet on the back of the door panel. It will not be the cause of water entering the car, but a torn one may allow the door panel to rot, did someone take the panel off to check the membrane?

I would be more suspicious of the windscreen seal than the door seal, although you can change the door seal in minutes, so it doesn't cost much. Check under the dashboard on the bulkhead to see if water is coming through the screen
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Rose
DDK above all

Post by Rose »

Thanks very much everyone.

The garage say they stripped out the interior (seats and carpets) dried it all off, then poured water on until they found out where it was leaking in. It will (allegedly!) be retested once all the new seals are on. Thanks for the tip Nick - I will ask them to make sure the windscreen seal is ok too before I part with any cash for new parts.

Rose.
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

I would be surprised it that much water was due to those covers. A great deal of ater can still come from the door though, make sure they check that the drainage holes or vents are not blocked in the bottom of the door. A lot of rubbish can collect in there and as soon as they bung up it basically acts like a little bath !!

Alan.UK
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
Sean
DDK above all

Post by Sean »

A friend of mine had a similar problem.....it turned out that the door was not sitting correctly and there was a tiny gap allowing the water to seep in.

Just a thought.

Sean
1971 911 2.2S (Sold)
Nige

Post by Nige »

I just used some clear plastic sheet from the local builders supply, think B&Q does reels that you can cut off what you need, cost a couple of quid, stuck it on with Evo Stick, then trimmed around the door with a knife, then cut slots for the window winder, door latch, etc. All done! no messing with Ebay, Parcel Force or paying for delivery, etc. No soggy, rotting door cards now, or rusty speakers!