356 big European Trip

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

356 big European Trip

Post by neilbardsley »

Next week we start our biggest drive yet. Ferry to Holland. Koblenz in the Rhine Valley. The have wanted to explore this region more since getting near it on n out first DDK tour to Stuttgart. Then Prague. Possibly a diversion to the home of the greatest ever endurance runner : Emil Zatopek. At very least a run in his own honour. Rare occurrence for this overweight, ex runner nowadays. Emil spoke many languages and was always good for quotes

There is a great advantage in training under unfavorable conditions. It is better to train under bad conditions, for the difference is then a tremendous relief in a race."

"What has passed is already finished with. What I find more interesting is what is still to come."

'I was not talented enough to run and smile at the same time.'

A hero of mine. Although after reading two biographies it became clear that perhaps these quotes where pressed upon him by the government. He was expected to routinely, set new world records at every outing and always say exactly what is right for glory of the nation.

Then let down and exiled after the Prague Spring

Next Budapest. My son has been and really enjoyed it. However, I was reminded the other day they have sides with Russian in their invasion (sry special operations) of Ukraine. Best to drink and eat there and not mention politics.

Then Vienna. First trip for me to this culture capital. We are of course going to a classic concert.

Then Munich. Unfortunately, Stuttgart was just a bit too far. I have a very good city guide from Heuer expert Mark Moss. Mark is also a very useful source of too restaurants recommendations. Although, on this trip we haven't booked any Michelin Stars (yet) but instead are focused on local food tours.

Next Trier. Which I was informed by a family I meant in Ibiza, is the oldest town in Germany. It has some very interesting Roman buildings/remains.

Any suggestions pls do tell.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: 356 big European Trip

Post by anglophone1 »

Ambitious trip Neil - well done!
It will be great.............
Where does the narrow boat fit in with this?
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Big trip.

Trier … wasn’t overly impressed when we stopped there for the night but I think my expectations were high. The centre square is nice with good restaurants. Personally I think there are better German cities
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Sounds like a great trip - have fun !

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Hope you have a Hunky Dory trip
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

anglophone1 wrote:Ambitious trip Neil - well done!
It will be great.............
Where does the narrow boat fit in with this?
C
Hoping the trip goes Hunky Dory!

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Good luck with your trip Neil. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Visiting the Škoda Museum and Ferry Porsche house in Prague? I only had time for one last time I was there, so chose the museum. No regrets!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I think car museums are possibly not on Mrs B itinerary but let's see

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Good fortune with it Neil, looking forward to hearing all about it
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
womble912
DDK addict

Post by womble912 »

Have a safe journey Neil and enjoy.
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

This may be the wrong direction, but when I did a German trip last year, the afternoon before Koblenz were the best roads we drove. We were driving from Speyer (museum could be worth a visit if not done). But if you hit any of these country roads you won't be disappointed.

https://goo.gl/maps/zH4YbQSibHfyLwq66 Meisenheim to Koblenz, so reverse it
https://goo.gl/maps/HmRypSTfY7Upd1yr8 Elmstein to Meisenheim, again reverse it

plenty of options to get back on main roads and only do part of this if they are taking you off course.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

We are off and on the Harwich Ferry. The adventure started 10mins from home. The oil pressure light started flashing but the gauge said I had lots of pressure. I pulled off and swear a lot fearing the worst. However, when I opened the engine bay I was reminded of a temporary fit I had forgotten about. The nut holding the sensor Image connector had come off and I had put something which now had also come off. I electric spade connector was forced on and normal service was resumed. Can anyone remember the size M3-5 I think. The rest of the journey was very smooth. A very nice racing Lotus just in front of us.

It's taking me a while to relax into this trip. Work has been very stressful recently. Every day is a fight. Just trying to keep half a noise above water. Today was full on again. Starting about 06:30. This first Gin and Tonic is helping.

ImageImageImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

4 uneventful hours of motoring and we arrived at Schloss Stolzenfels. I know how interested Graham is with MPG. I think I got about 200 miles on 27l/6 gallons. I'm not sure I measured that correctly because it implies 33mpg! I will check and report back. The smooth roads certainly help. Like went we passed into Italy last year. This time I knew we had crossed from Holland to Germany because the speed shot up by 15kph. However, unlike the Italians they keep a more respectable distance.

Schloss Stolzenfels is very pretty. Bit of a walk up to the castle but a bargain for 5 euro each.

Car safely stored behind a locked door.ImageImageImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

A cruise on the Rhine today. Followed by a cable car ride up to the Fortress.

The restaurant we eat lunch at had water marks showing the high of the Rhine. Whixh was, in recent history 1993.

After using Google translate it appears that was the building's purpose. Originally a crane but now a level house!

https://www.visit-koblenz.de/en/sights/ ... auge-house

Koblenz was super busy yesterday evening but is very quiet tonight. Firstly there are almost no shops, even supermarkets, open on Sundays. Almost like being in 1970s UK. Then I guess many were only here for the weekend and have headed home. Although not far from where we are staying there is a large caravan/motorhome park where everyone has eBikes to zoom in/out of town.

Prague tomorrow ImageImageImage