Digital power probe tool

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

hot66

Digital power probe tool

Post by hot66 »

Anyone use the power probe tools like this ? Just seen one on a vid I was watching

https://amzn.eu/d/fkcWbfK

Electrics are not my thing at all but was wondering if this tools is easy to use to find bad earths etc ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
deano
I luv DDK!

Re: Digital power probe tool

Post by deano »

It seems to be quite expensive for what it is, possibly paying for the brand name in this case.

I think it depends how much you value the basic oscilloscope function, which is perhaps useful on a modern car I don't know.

It doesn't measure current, which is useful quite often.

I like the fact that the unit has the probe attached to it, but could not find one with current measurement capability in that style.

Ground faults can be found using a simple multimeter.

For me, a multimeter with current measurement does most jobs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multimeter-Fla ... =8-56&th=1
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Don’t understand how this is different to a normal electrical connector.

You can check for bad earth by doing continuity test which all of them have I think
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I think you can use it to power up electrical items like gauges, blowers , lights etc at the same time to see work out item is faulty ?

As said, electrics are not my thing so I’m not sure
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Yes. I bought one & immediately bought one for my brother. Great kit.

The cheap one from Amazon is all you need but treat it nicely as the internal connection is a bit weak (I need to repair mine with a bit of solder).
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

I had weak rear lights on one side.

Probe the hot side of the bulb connector shows it’s got power. With the bulb in place probe the earth side & it also shows power. Disconnect the earth side wire & probe the wire & it indicated a connection to earth. Reattached & bulb is still dim. Now probe the earth connection & press the button to ground the probe & the bulb lights up fully. So I had a weak earth. Fast diagnosis.

Also, with a part on the bench, connect the probe fly lead (perm earth) to the part. Then probe the part wiring terminals to detect any shorts to earth. Also can power up the probe & inject 12v into the part.

I also use it as a remote starter. Attach the 12v power wire to the battery and the big ground clamp to the starter solenoid wire. Now attach the ground fly lead on the probe to the tip of the probe. If you push the probe “12v” button, the probe runs 12v to the clamp on the starter.
Bruce M

Digital power probe tool

Post by Bruce M »

The probe has a current limiter inside. So if you apply 12v or ground & accidentally create a short the wiring will not go up in smoke. That means you can’t power a starter directly but it’s safer.

When put the loom back in, I didn’t put in the fuses. I used the probe to check each circuit & power them first. Found numerous issues before connecting the battery positive clamp, just connected the earth & used the probe to check grounding & apply 12v selectively
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Sounds a good tool to have then
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Quite simple inside.
A video on the internals. This is the typical Amazon item and he actually mentions the weak spot in the video.

https://youtu.be/sa06Y7HYzoc?si=Ue820R3sqNtLi3LE