Brake drum relining and machining in the UK

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

VCG
DDK Fanatic

Brake drum relining and machining in the UK

Post by VCG »

(This is for anyone who can't look at the 356 Registry site)

Hello all, I was prompted to post this now prior to testing, because of Mr Pettengell’s post about cracked drums as it might help.

For many years I have had a project pending of a pair of drums sitting in my garage that needed relining, I finally got around to it a few months ago.

Although I am aware there are well recommended companies in the US doing this, to ship heavy drums to and from the US seems a bit mad for a process that a few decades ago lots of engineering firms in the UK and Europe would have carried out.

The engineering shop I used in the early ‘80s is long gone so I started asking the Engineers and workshops I know for recommendations.

This is the story so far which has been enormous fun, I have learned a great deal and I have met some great and really helpful people.

For example, at one company the owner, who is retired happened to be on site and came out to see me and my drums and said ‘simples, not a problem’ but we’re way too big for a job this small so the cost would be ‘silly’ but helped ID the material for the inserts just to help.

We spend a lot of time in Killybegs, the biggest fishing port in Ireland, where there is a huge boatyard, Mooney Boats. Again chatting to them ‘not a problem’, there is a huge interest in rallying in Ireland and many of the people on site were participants and fascinated by it but obviously making & fixing boats take priority. And Boy oh Boy do they have the machines to do the job, it’s also a bit of a drive to get there!

The machines in a smaller engineering firm were not the correct type for this work but pointed me in the direction of the company which eventually got this done.

In a nutshell the old liners were machined out, what was interesting was once these were removed some initial minor casting defects were found in one of the drums. This had caused some minor blistering in the liner which at some time in the life of the drum had been machined smooth. These were removed, but we did wonder if this had been missed or simply ignored during initial assembly?

The correct material was sourced and new liners were machined, interference fitted with the addition of a type of machining to increase the surface area for greater contact to bond. To finish they were machined to original Porsche specs and test fitted to a backing plate, with new brake shoes attached, to ensure all was good.

The Engineers Lee and Roger are a delight to work with, enthusiasts in classic cars themselves and can carry out machining to skim and true these drums.

The firm is M.G. Precision Engineering Ltd. Unit 2 Field Common Farm, Field Common Lane, Walton on Thames KT12 3QJ 01932246901.

It’s a great place, the workshop is in a unit on a farm with horses and beside it is the most amazing one man woodwork shop whose work is simply stunning.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Brake drum relining and machining in the UK

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you for sharing

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Interesting post.

Any idea how much they cost?

Thanks
Joe
VCG
DDK Fanatic

Post by VCG »

Hello Joe, sorry for the delay in replying.

This project was a bit of 'madness' by us and we funded the whole thing from research, tooling, etc., to completion. (I daren't add it all up, simply ensuring the correct grade of metal for the lining took some tests!)

All of this work took quite a lot of time but it's done and those costs do not need to be repeated, and I'm sure the guys would be happy to give you or anyone a quote for drum work.

It was an itch I needed to scratch, I really enjoyed the project and, as others have helped me over the years, if it helps other 356 owners even better.

V
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Thank you for this! Interesting to know - will give them a call and find out!

Cheers!

Joe