Wing Mirror fitment

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Wing Mirror fitment

Post by 70sThrowback »

Morning,

i've asked this over on Impact Bumpers because my car is a g body backdate (912E) but not had much help. Does anyone know if the holes are the same for chrome flag mirrors and durant? And if they are the same for talbot berlins? I am fancying a change of mirror, and like the round glass mirrors, but don't want to have to drill or weld the doors. So hoping they are the same fitting.

TIA
Jonny
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Wing Mirror fitment

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'm fairly sure that the round Durant mirror, the '72/'73 rectangular small 'Flag' mirror & the '74-on larger 'Flag' mirror all have the same mounting hole spacing.

I've certainly replaced a round Durant mirror with a '72/'73 'Flag' mirror on one of my cars in the past - & the 2 versions (small & large) of the 'Flag' mirror use the same mounting pedestal.

They're mounted on the door however - not the wing.

Just one slight correction though - the mirrors are stainless steel not chrome ... :wink:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Nige

Post by Nige »

Has your doors had the G body/impact bumper style wing mirror holes welded up already?
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

Sorry Andy, yes you are right they are both on the doors. Just automatically call them wing mirrors.

Nige, no nothing welded up, its a narrow body G model with the larger stainless stell / chrome mirrors. Passenger one I had put on years ago, the drivers is the original.
Jonny

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

The Talbot Berlin has some fore /aft adjustment to the fixing so should be OK for your purposes.
Rust Never Sleeps
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

BILLY BEAN wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:39 pm The Talbot Berlin has some fore /aft adjustment to the fixing so should be OK for your purposes.
interesting the repro's don't. In the end I went for Durants, I was close between them and Talbot style and the price difference is huge and my preference wasn't. Still yet to fit them, a job before spring.
Jonny

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

If you are considering fitting two Durants I personally would not bother. One on the driver's side is fine. Passenger side, on the other hand, is a waste of time in my experience. The Durant mirror does not articulate sufficiently to get good reward vision on the passenger side even locating it in a different position does not help. I removed mine when the passenger side door got damaged.
Rust Never Sleeps
sladey

Post by sladey »

I had the same experience - passenger side - complete waste of time
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

BILLY BEAN wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:27 am If you are considering fitting two Durants I personally would not bother. One on the driver's side is fine. Passenger side, on the other hand, is a waste of time in my experience. The Durant mirror does not articulate sufficiently to get good reward vision on the passenger side even locating it in a different position does not help. I removed mine when the passenger side door got damaged.
I already have the holes in the wing for the chrome flag, so its either having 2 holes or a useless mirror. No change really
Jonny