The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

For your entertainment, dear friends - laugh all you like, I would - I did a silly thing at an online auction.

I now own this, but already can't quite remember why:

Collecting it on Saturday in Yorkshire. Won't be snowing (much), apparently.

What could possibly go wrong?
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: 928

Post by anglophone1 »

My 928 guru in Ireland was watching that- he thought a good car!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Like that - great colour combo. Be great to hear how you get on with it
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

- looks like you're aiming to acquire one example of each 'classic' Porsche model made ... :wink:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

Everybody should own a 928 at some point in their lives. Enjoy!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Why - because it’s lovely and Tom Cruise drove one in Risky Business!! There is no substitute.

Look forward to hearing about it!
The force is strong in this one ......
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Ooooh, that's lovely.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Yiss! I saw that for sale and liked it lots.

Take a pic with a child’s head between the brake and clutch pedals.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

That is very nice, and good service and ownership history, with lots more pictures here.......

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/198 ... -928-s4-10
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

inaglasshouse wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 am I now own this, but already can't quite remember why:
Short of fuses and relays for other projects perhaps? Or valves even.

Respect, it's lovely.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Thanks all. I think it will be amusing, if nothing else.

There is a small amount of logic to this (no, really).
I wanted, and don't currently have, a car that is good at motorways but not boring when you reach the other end. To make things like Alps and Scandi road trips enjoyable throughout, not only when you get to the interesting bit. Motorways also relevant to university runs, since we're at that stage now with 2 of the children.
Let's see if this fits the bill.
Sam wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:47 pm Yiss! I saw that for sale and liked it lots.
Take a pic with a child’s head between the brake and clutch pedals.
Thx Sam.
I think the clutch pedal is somewhere in the passenger footwell?
KS wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:47 pm Everybody should own a 928 at some point in their lives. Enjoy!
Thx Keith.
But I think I remember you saying (and profuse apologies if I am misquoting you): everybody should own a 928 to demonstrate why they don't need a 928! Or was that someone else??? Stuck in the mind, anyway.
yoda wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:18 pm Why - because it’s lovely and Tom Cruise drove one in Risky Business!! There is no substitute.

Look forward to hearing about it!
Thx Feroz.
As discussed elsewhere "look forward to hearing about it" means "rather you than me, but thanks for being the crash test dummy". Will give you a full report, and do come over and have a drive when you have a moment.
Jonny Hart wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:55 pm
inaglasshouse wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 am I now own this, but already can't quite remember why:
Short of fuses and relays for other projects perhaps? Or valves even.

Respect, it's lovely.
Thx Jonny. Hope all is well with you.
Yep, when that timing belt lets go there are 32 valves to bend. Doesn't sound cheap to me.
I was down at Lee's yesterday, chatting about this folly among other things. Based on experience he thinks there's minimal chance that the aircon will work. So we might be speaking soon!
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Last bit of trivia. It may have had some careful owners, but the second (2017-2020) was one Chris Harris.
Presumably he doesn't always drive sideways? Not all the time?
NurLinks
DDK Fanatic

Post by NurLinks »

"I wanted, and don't currently have, a car that is good at motorways but not boring when you reach the other end. To make things like Alps and Scandi road trips enjoyable throughout, not only when you get to the interesting bit."

That's exactly why I bought my GTS as a "long distance" classic (sort of) and for winter driving (sometimes an itch has to be scratched, doesn't it). I think its an impressive cars and hugely misunderstood. My old 911's are a bigger thrill but the 928 delivers when going on long distance trips.

I read the auction description and what I missed in the work that has been done was the water pump which should be replaced once in a while to prevent it self destructing. Do you know why the rear hatch doesn't open? If you can hear the motor but the boot fails to open, often the plastic insert in the lock has worn out (was the case on my car). If this is the case, replacements are offered by enthusiasts an it's a 5 minute job to replace. If you want to replace the luggage cover, I ordered one from a German lady who used to make them at Porsche. She replaces all the elastic cords and of course the cover. She really knows what she's doing and a new cover (I have one in alcantara) makes the luggage space look like it should. If you want to have contact details, please let me know.

Have fun with this special car!
1986 911 3.3 Turbo, 1973 911 RSR Replica, 1974 FIA spec 3.0 RSR (in progress)
1993 928GTS, 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

NurLinks wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:16 pm "I wanted, and don't currently have, a car that is good at motorways but not boring when you reach the other end. To make things like Alps and Scandi road trips enjoyable throughout, not only when you get to the interesting bit."

That's exactly why I bought my GTS as a "long distance" classic (sort of) and for winter driving (sometimes an itch has to be scratched, doesn't it). I think its an impressive cars and hugely misunderstood. My old 911's are a bigger thrill but the 928 delivers when going on long distance trips.

I read the auction description and what I missed in the work that has been done was the water pump which should be replaced once in a while to prevent it self destructing. Do you know why the rear hatch doesn't open? If you can hear the motor but the boot fails to open, often the plastic insert in the lock has worn out (was the case on my car). If this is the case, replacements are offered by enthusiasts an it's a 5 minute job to replace. If you want to replace the luggage cover, I ordered one from a German lady who used to make them at Porsche. She replaces all the elastic cords and of course the cover. She really knows what she's doing and a new cover (I have one in alcantara) makes the luggage space look like it should. If you want to have contact details, please let me know.

Have fun with this special car!
Thank you!
Excellent info there, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I hope you are continuing to enjoy the 928 and your more raucous Porsches.

Re the water pump: noted. I collect the car on Saturday and will have a very close look at the large Tuthill invoice where the belts etc were done. It may have been changed at that time, I suppose. Either way I am going to need to decide how brave I feel - I think that chunk of work was 2017 so the timing belt is probably well under on mileage but over on time. I think a precautionary change of belt, water pump, and a good look at the tensioner, might be an early investment. Will take some expert advice - luckily my favourite 993 fettler (hello Lee @Octane if you are reading) also has plenty of 928 experience.

I don't yet know the problem with the hatch release. Thanks for the tip: have googled and I see the plastic insert you mean. Great tip, thanks!
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Loving the colour combo very much. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that interior colour before in a 928 but then again I’ve not studied the model as closely as you.

Enjoy Saturday. Just another adventure!

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/