Enzo & Ferdinand?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Enzo & Ferdinand?

Post by neilbardsley »

I enjoyed the Ferrari movie and I'm ready a book about Enzo. No mention in the book but was there any contact between the men? I guessing that because Enzo was only really running a local racing team pre WW2 he wouldn't of been on Ferdinand 's radar? Perhaps Ferdinand wouldn't of considered Enzo even an engineer?

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Enzo & Ferdinand?

Post by Ian Gunney »

I've little doubt that their paths would have crossed at some point Neil. Enzo ran the works Alfa team in the mid 30's when Ferdinand P was heavily involved with the Auto Unions (after his spell with MB). If you are interested in this period of the sport worth getting a copy of Racing the Silver Arrows by Chris Nixon.
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
KS

Post by KS »

Porsche as a company did indeed cross paths with Ferrari, designing transmissions for the Italian marque* in the early 1950s, but almost certainly after Ferdinand had passed away.

(* As well as Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Simca, BMW and most notably, Mercedes with the 300SLR...)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ian Gunney wrote:I've little doubt that their paths would have crossed at some point Neil. Enzo ran the works Alfa team in the mid 30's when Ferdinand P was heavily involved with the Auto Unions (after his spell with MB). If you are interested in this period of the sport worth getting a copy of Racing the Silver Arrows by Chris Nixon.
Just got a bit further in the book it would appear after 1934 and the Monaco GP Enzo rarely left Modena. He got his updates via telephone on race weekends.

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

KS wrote:Porsche as a company did indeed cross paths with Ferrari, designing transmissions for the Italian marque* in the early 1950s, but almost certainly after Ferdinand had passed away.

(* As well as Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Simca, BMW and most notably, Mercedes with the 300SLR...)
Thank you