What to do about the 914 Dent?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

What to do about the 914 Dent?

Post by neilbardsley »

Someone hit the 914 over Christmas. I got a none insurance quote (I'm not entirely sure what that means but) from a place we have used before. £750 for the wing. The problem with that is the sticker will have to be removed on damaged side and there will be fresh paint on one wing. Which look mismatched. Are the red Pegasus Stickers available?

I'm tempted to get a mobile dent remover to straighten it patch the paint myself. It will not be great but more in keeping with the car.

The nuclear option would be to just get the entire paint done. However, seems out of place for a car that has to live outside and can't be perfect.ImageImage

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Re: What to do about the 914 Dent?

Post by Lightweight_911 »

neilbardsley wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 pm
I'm tempted to get a mobile dent remover to straighten it patch the paint myself. It will not be great but more in keeping with the car.
That's the option I'd probably go for - if the paint's not a great match afterwards you could always cover it with another suitable decal/stcker.

The Pegasus stickers are available from numerous sources - eg 'Isaydingdong' via ebay.

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/ ... -Pair.html

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Not sure what the side view is showing, and whether the wheel arch is dented more than is showing on the side on photo?

The side view does not look too bad, and a ‘Dent Master’ should be able to get most of that out.

Once done, try this method for fixing the area where the paint has come away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-T22Yr9Gp8
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I used Chips Away locally to repair far worse than that 5 years ago. Someone left me with deep dents in a hillclimb car park on my metalic custon paint Skoda.

Left it at their place for a day and it came back perfect and still is today. About £250 iirc.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

A number of invisible repair companies have their own paint matching analysis guns and will paint it on the drive. They won’t warranty anything where rust has taken hold in my experience, but you can treat that first and leave them to blend in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I've ended up making an insurance claim

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

What's your insurance excess? Chances are you'll end up worse off...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I agree - it is a £200 repair at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Did i see you in Lichfield last night? Blue 914 went past on St. John's street as I brought my daughter home from Guides.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Not me. Unless Mrs B did a secret run without telling me :)