Window seal issue

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Window seal issue

Post by 70sThrowback »

Hi all,

I had a new windscreen fitted about 6 months ago and over the course of the summer the seal has either shrunk or moved. Hopefully the photo shows this. It fitted perfectly when done and is a genuine porsche seal from the OPC.

Any recommendations or is this a new seal and refitting? If another seal anyone got any recommendations? It’s a g body 76 as fyi.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Window seal issue

Post by Gary71 »

You need to ‘massage’ the aluminium trim. Seal will be fine.

When I say ‘massage’ I mean hit with a hammer and wooden block.

I made a carefully shaped hardwood block wrapped in soft tape that matches the trim profile and curvature. You then hit it from the inside out to push the trim towards the gap while pulling the seal out of the gap with a suitable plastic tool.

Once you get the seal to overlap by 3-5mm or so it should stay put.

And you have to hit in quite hard…
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

Gary71 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:30 pm You need to ‘massage’ the aluminium trim. Seal will be fine.

When I say ‘massage’ I mean hit with a hammer and wooden block.

I made a carefully shaped hardwood block wrapped in soft tape that matches the trim profile and curvature. You then hit it from the inside out to push the trim towards the gap while pulling the seal out of the gap with a suitable plastic tool.

Once you get the seal to overlap by 3-5mm or so it should stay put.

And you have to hit in quite hard…
Thanks Gary, the trim is flush and looks fine, but I guess your saying it will push the seal back over by giving it a whach. The other worry I had is any rain / damp thats gone in the gap and could be sitting against the frame. Am I potetnially trapping it and creating a future rust issue.
Jonny

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

This is the block I’ve used and the angle you need to hold it whilst hitting it down it’s length.

If you are worried about the moisture you could lift the seal at the bottom and blow it out with an airline?
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

great I'll have a look and see what I can improvise. Thanks for the tip. Lets just hope I don't miss and smash the windscreen :)
Jonny

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

70sThrowback wrote:great I'll have a look and see what I can improvise. Thanks for the tip. Lets just hope I don't miss and smash the windscreen :)
:) :) I used a nylon hammer! :)
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

Gary71 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:41 pm
70sThrowback wrote:great I'll have a look and see what I can improvise. Thanks for the tip. Lets just hope I don't miss and smash the windscreen :)
:) :) I used a nylon hammer! :)
Had a quick 2 mins knock and definitely moved. Its only about 1mm over, but its really cold today, so I am thinking maybe warmer day or a hairdryer might make it easier. But no gap now at least. Thanks for the tip, really appreciated.
Jonny