Towing with DSG VW auto?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Towing with DSG VW auto?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Changing my tow car very soon to another Škoda superb
Current car is manual box
New to me car has a dsg auto

Will this box cope with towing 1200 kg
I’ve be told it will not cope
Any facts from anyone please
Going to call the local Škoda dealer
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Re: Towing with DSG VW auto?

Post by Gary71 »

It will have been tested and developed at the rated towing weight for the car (whatever that is).

Inevitably towing puts more strain on the transmission, but it’s all relative, so does doing race starts :)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you Gary, I respect your advice as ever.

Skoda dealer is totally confident it will be fine. Towing limit (braKed) is 2200Kg. We tow about 1300Kg to hillclimbs 9 times a year.

Always good to get facts and reliable opinion!! :)

Slightly disappointing I feel old enough to have an auto in the daily... :lol:

Hoping to get another Skoda Superb to replace my faithful workhorse, the old guy is showing a few too much NVH for comfort, Mrs hillclimber has told me to change the car.

Modern Superb has no handbrake at all, the auto applies the handbrake whenever the car is at rest.
Auto everything, hope i can cancel 'Lane Assist'
Apple play and all-that-jazz wasted on me, but the car is saturated with this tech.

265 bhp will be nice mind, hope i don't fill it with diesel after all these years.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Towing is easier with an auto, got to look at the positives!
Due to the wonders of our company car scheme I’ve had a string of autos as the daily for a while now.
Honestly I don’t miss manuals in cars that don’t suit them! Why would I want to have that interaction in a Q5? :)
Nige

Post by Nige »

Why would you want a manual these days in anything other than sporty little number. I like to sit back relax and let my big fat, diesel A7s auto do all the work.

Modern autos are miles ahead of what they use to be.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'm one of those people who prefer a manual gearbox - I also want a car that relies on me to drive it - with the minimum of 'driver assistance' ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Is this the same VW gearbox available on Golfs? If so my Mum has one and they are smooth and great to drive

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Is it DSG rather than a 'proper' auto? If so they're a sort of halfway house like PDK - an automated manual box, if you like. Twin wet clutches rather than a torque converter. It's worth spending some time with one to see if you get one with it. I hated it when I tried it in a 981, but it suits our Macan quite the thing. I wouldn't think twice about towing with it.
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Graham,

You mention the automatic handbrake.

If you are buying a MkIII Superb make sure it has the hill assist option ( I would say it is a must for towing ).
It is the left button below the gear level normally.

I believe the handbrake only works automatically on hill assist optioned cars and when selected.

When I bought my top of the range MKIII L&K the hill assist was still an option and I rarely see it fitted to cars.

That's how it work on my manual car, whenever I get it back from the MOT they switch it off and I almost always get out of the car on my steep driveway only to watch in disbelief as the car rolls away from me.

Just saying that without hill assist the electronic handbrake in my view is a pain to use.

All the best
Andrew
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

The combination of electronic handbrake and manuals is a pain I agree.

With an auto it’s completely seamless.
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

I have an A4 Allroad 3.0 Diesel DSG and it’s been great for towing. Effortless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you all.
Have just about pulled the trigger on the 'new' car this afternoon. Dealing with a winner of Auto Trade retailer of the year, family business, no glossy dealer showrooms etc, but all good.
Deal is all a compromise but overall I'm OK.

The new Skodas don't come with a full size spare like my current car, but a kit can be had for a £300 cost. Full size, not 'get-u-home' stuff.

Test drive next Monday to be sure the ride is not harsh, hate crashy daily drivers, and then probably add a few bells and whistles to finalize the deed.

Today, finding this car has been a real challenge and stumbled on this one on the excellent AA Used Car site (wife found it), they are super rare.
Finding a 4x4 version and a manual box is impossible, my current car was a factory special edition so had both which is nice as the manual box is great, super slick @ 87K miles...

It is with a heavy heart the current car is to leave me, probably to become a taxi.
It has been great, but not perfect and we are not willing to wait for a sudden surprise in the future esp when towing.

Sales guy was very impressed with the car and the fat folder of bills etc i have kept in a folder.

P/X value went up by £500 due to that.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Did you get a 4x4 in the DSG or FWD only, and what engine in diesel form did you go for? - Not sure what they gave you as a PX but dare say you did your research, but you may get more for it on here or privately?
The service history for the dealer is ideal, just means they can sell it for a lot more. The fact he gave you an extra £500 for such, means he has already undervalued your car.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

All this wheeler dealer stuff I find a real irritation, and look for the easy compromised way through.

The post 2015 Superbs are almost all DSG, today they are only DSG.

The 4x4 feature is very rare, and that is the limiting factor, 4x4.
I also want/need an estate which makes it even harder.

Rightly or wrongly i want to go petrol and most are diesels.

Thus the spec is petrol (and powerful enough to tow with ease)
4x4
Auto

It is only the DSG bit that is easy!
Current 87K mile car is diesel and not favored, and I'm sure I could get more for it, maybe £1000 more , BUT, we don't want all and sundry coming to the house and barking at me this n that are crap and off what this deal is offering!

I'll pay for the cleaner deal rather than the most frugal one.

I could buy this car outright and then fuss about selling the current car, but just too much hassle.

He admitted the folder of documents will make the re sale very easy, it apparently is rare that people keep such details, but maybe just sales chat.

New car is the Laurin and Klement version, 2019, 31K miles.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I used a DSG?Auto VW Touareg to tow once. Used loads of fuel because it refused to let the engine labour the way I could have with a manual. It had a big V6 diesel that should have stayed in top all day.

The slightest incline would make it shift down a gear. Also you can't take a run up to a hill and then back off as you crest it in top - another fuel saving technique you might miss?
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..