914 : Road Trip to Italy

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

914 : Road Trip to Italy

Post by neilbardsley »

I did the final checks today for our road trip. I drove to visit a son in Leicester as I wanted to do an, at speed, test after fitting the MSD. I couldn't of been happier. We have some 7-8 hour driving days to get to Italy. I finished by charging the battery. Didn't really need it. Added some blind spot mirrors. Not pretty but neither is a crash. Finally tyre pressures to 323/34. Im taking a few more tools than normal but I've never needed any with this car. Long may that continue. Now I just need to download some audiobooks.

Starting Friday expect more blurred pictures and bad grammar.Image

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Re: 914 : Road Trip to Italy

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Have a great trip - what's the route/destination ?

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Exciting stuff Neil . Which part of Italy ? Get some podcasts lined up too … my wife tends to take her own ear phones for these long trips as she likes those god awful true crime podcasts where as I’m happy taking in the sights and sounds of the road trip
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Cool, I'm curious about your route and final destination too, and look forward to seeing some pics hopefully. Me and the family got back from a road trip to Rome and back recently, via Switzerland and Gottard pass... much fun, and expense! Didn't need the reflective vests per passenger, or the spare bulbs, or the UK sticker (most brits didnt have a sticker, or still had their old GB one)... :P

Have a safe trip! :bounce:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Would like to know your route too!
Have done a Big Italian Trip a few years ago in the Boxster, Italian motorways are not really that good!
However, when you are there....BRILLIANT!

Lots of pics remember.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

deano wrote:Cool, I'm curious about your route and final destination too, and look forward to seeing some pics hopefully. Me and the family got back from a road trip to Rome and back recently, via Switzerland and Gottard pass... much fun, and expense! Didn't need the reflective vests per passenger, or the spare bulbs, or the UK sticker (most brits didnt have a sticker, or still had their old GB one)... :P

Have a safe trip! :bounce:
If you read my Dolomites thread earlier in the year, you’ll see I almost got fined for having a uk sticker in the wrong place ( although that was the least of my worries at the time ! ;). )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Have a fantastic, safe, and uneventful trip. Really want to do a Dolomites trip (like James did). Next year I'm doing a Italy trip but by train.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

hot66 wrote: If you read my Dolomites thread earlier in the year, you’ll see I almost got fined for having a uk sticker in the wrong place ( although that was the least of my worries at the time ! ;). )
Not entirely sure that’s why you got pulled ;) ;)
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

love a road trip, looking forward to the updates Neil.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm going to keep the route a bit vague for security but through France. Then stop near Venice, into Tuscany and back to the Italian Riviera. Unfortunately, we only have a week.

Ps I've just bgt a UK slicker for the car!

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Good luck with your trip Neil.
Hope you have a lovely time.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Good stuff Neil - long trip in a week!
Enjoy- send pix
c
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
stevenery
DDK Fanatic

Post by stevenery »

I look forward to following this! My dad and I did the 914 International meet this year down near San Tropez. It was the first big drive having been bought as an unfinished project and recovered home by tow truck twice in the 900 or so miles it had done up until then (failed coil and something similar, possibly fuel pump). On that French trip we had a needle valve come undone which was a quick tighten and fresh plug change. Also trouble with the gears which could have been solved quicker had we remembered there are two tightening points at the back end. Since added Loctite and all ok! Absolute niggly issues though. The car was really comfortable and did not need frequent fuel stops. Such a great trip and excited for the Belgium meet next year!
Sam

Post by Sam »

neilbardsley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:06 am I'm going to keep the route a bit vague for security
Intriguing.

Smuggling contraband?
Nervous of paps?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Arrived late last night to our first stop. 2:40 driving to the tunnel and then 5:40 on the other side. Unfortunately, lots of rain and some of the driving wasn't fun. The left headlight bulb has gone so that made it extra fun. We are in Dole just past Dijon. I thought I've booked somewhere 2 mins off the A road but 15 mins of driving and 10 mins of walking because the city centre is pedestrian.

However, our place has a viewing room and castle stairs/walk. Unfortunately this almost means we are woken by the church bell each hour. Appears to be 10 mins before. Maybe so everyone has time to get to the service?ImageImageImage