Audi TT, any comments?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Audi TT, any comments?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you for that, good to read.
Thank you to all with their views as ever on here. There is emotion involved so not always rational!

As I said before, the Boxster feels a bit special to go out in when you feel all is well with the car, we don't do sideways driving on public roads, rarely exceed limits but the flat 6 is a very nice engine on a trip.
The car's practicality is superb for a 2 seater.
The car is modern, so very easy to be comfortable (A/C etc etc) though the only 2 options it has are better headlights and de-badged. Wish it had heated seats....(wife).

I find it hard to get over the weaknesses that keep on occurring, and this taints the above.

As said, a flsch out of the cars may be the best solution, forget 'sports cars' (ie use the 911 more).

I've never had so many old mileage cars ever before.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I always think the older 911’s are the best of both worlds. Comfy long distance tourers with plenty of luggage space and still small enough on the road for those European back roads … yet if you want to give it some stick on the twisties there are not many cars that will give you the same involvement and fun

There is a reason I tend to use my 964 for the big trips .
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

911hillclimber wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:11 am I've never had so many old mileage cars ever before.
...................and your cars have never had such an old driver before! :roll:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Wrong, Grump Old Driver is far far more accurate a description!

Been discouraged by a few about a 225bhp TT, bit mundane, but a good touring car, which is really what we only do with the Boxster. However, if I have to pass on hill climbing the LOLA the Boxster would make a great hill climb car in the class.
Like when I started, road car, drive it there, have a lot of fun, drive it back. So simple!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

So we are keeping the Boxster again until the next issue crops up?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Possibly, but not too sure. If the white smoke can be sorted or managed yes. The original issue of the humm/rumble from the rear is solved by new rear tyres, yes.

The tow are connected by time.

I will drive the car to see how both issues are resolved, he tyres worn to MoT or sooner levels and in doing so there will be multiple cold starts.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I am with Sam - I think you have done ok with the Boxster considering the mileage and length of ownership.

The older 986 I have just restored (lose term - gone through mechanically is closer) needed everything, and I mean £3k parts plus an engine everything- but I knew that when I bought it and had an engine. If you go the new VRS route you can buy it off me to keep your hand in a cheap sports car!

I think the white smoke has got in your head Graham - I would ignore it and enjoy the great car it is, knowing you have solved most of the issues. Every other car you look at will have something that lets it down

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

well, I've just joined the club

https://www.eporsch.co.uk/listings/2006 ... s-pe56ybg/

something slightly different from the norm. ( its not technically silver ) - and the terracotta interior my wife liked - just like the 'tip-ironic' gear box - ( I struggled with this if I'm honest ) . something a little more fun than the non ulez compliant golf I have. ( which I have now sold via MotorWay - we'll see how smoothly that transaction goes through )...

will report back - seems pretty underwhelming as a drive, but maybe as I get more into it, it'll grow on me.
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Re Audi TT
I spoke to someone yesterday who had just scrapped his Audi TT because it was too rusty for the mot.
He mentioned that it had done 380,000 miles.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Disco:
Quite an interior!
56K miles is good, most Boxsters are going well beyond that now with just a few sub 30K around. IMHO, a used one is better than a 'static' one.

JB
Those miles are insane, did the driver do anything else than drive?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
King_Jut
Married to the DDK

Post by King_Jut »

I’ve got a 04 TT V6.

Firstly, I chose the V6 because of 2 main reasons:

Most 225 I had seen had been either modified (I wanted a factory standard car) or had been neglected (a neglected TT is a very expensive TT) or both.

The other reason is that V6 howl. Nothing sounds like a VAG VR6

Going forwards, I wanted a low mileage (mine was 67k with 2 owners and full dealer), It had to be black and a DSG.

My love for the TT began at the Geneva Motorshow and it’s clear Bauhaus design aesthetic, then seeing how the TT completely changed Audis language - it was iconic before it was even mainstream.

I also wanted the v6 because the mk1’s were built by Quattro - bodies seem sealed and fully wielded (as were the QS) for racing.

Mk1 TTs are expensive, even good ones. DSG service is the best part of £400 (mostly oil) v6 Rotors are about £400 (factory 2 piece splits) and there’s a heap of electrical sensors that can and will go wrong.

Also… they can rust, not the bodies (unless it’s had paint repair) but the underside can get proper scabby.

On the plus side, they are iconic, and small and the V6’s 250 bhp and 250 touque means it’s a great cruiser and can shift when it wants.

They handle great, are old enough to be uncommon on the roads, but modern enough to be easy to drive.

I love mine, and for what it’s worth it handles nothing like my MK4 golf GTI (that’s a boat) and actually feels in the cabin like my old 76 912 - has a very similar windscreen take and shape as well as the position of the mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King_Jut
Married to the DDK

Post by King_Jut »

ImageIMG_8240 by J B, on Flickr
King_Jut
Married to the DDK

Post by King_Jut »

ImageIMG_8955 by J B, on Flickr
King_Jut