Camshafts (non stock)

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Camshafts (non stock)

Post by Bruce M »

Hello.

I’ve got a project type4 engine which I’m collecting parts for. My current thinking is to go with a small capacity turbo engine but I do have both the 1.7 & 2.0 cranks to choose from. Im always looking to maximise the performance to cost ratio so won’t be going that extreme.

The biggest pain at the moment seems to be obtaining a non stock camshaft at a fair price/ quality.

Webcam provides a good product & a lot of choice but the cost isn’t modest & supply from them seems to be difficult at the moment.

There is also EMW who supply a range but you need to order directly from the USA.

There are also European options but those are very expensive at circa 600 euro.

Scat also do a range although they are just the type1 grinds so perhaps not optimal and £200+

I’m happy to look at a slightly different path when it comes to solutions, especially if it’s better value for money.

I emailed a UK manufacturer of camshafts who make cams for 911 etc. They also list a couple of grinds for type1 flat4 which made me wonder.

They replied to say they can make / supply a type4 camshafts and the cost would be around the same as the beetle camshafts (from £125+vat).

This is a very attractive price!
They also asked if I had any particular grind profile I’d want

So, what are the favourites for a mild camshaft grind?
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Camshafts (non stock)

Post by KS »

WebCam 86a is a great cam for mid-range torque - it's what I'm currently using. But turbo grinds are different to those required for normally-aspirated motor.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Thanks Keith, I did wonder what you were using.

86A has a bit more duration without pushing the lift so far. So imagine it’s got less aggressive ramps.

If you have a dyno chart I’d be interested to see the torque curve shape (actual numbers is less important).
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Also, if anyone has a damaged cam of this spec with at least one measurable lobe, please let me know.

It’s a stretch but you never know.
HaraldD
DDK Fanatic

Post by HaraldD »

Hello Bruce,

take a look:

https://frisiersalon-nowak.de/produkte

Harald
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Bruce M wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:28 pm Thanks Keith, I did wonder what you were using.

86A has a bit more duration without pushing the lift so far. So imagine it’s got less aggressive ramps.

If you have a dyno chart I’d be interested to see the torque curve shape (actual numbers is less important).
I can't find the current set-up, but this was the old 2056 on carbs and the old heads with the 86a - as you can see, it has an impressively flat torque curve

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Thanks for that. Very helpful & shows the torque holds up.