'65

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: '65

Post by inaglasshouse »

Nine One One wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:24 pm Can you do a Netflix version and we can then all binge view it all at once - we need more updates - drip feeding is driving me mad
Kids today. Just want instant gratification.

I remember when jtp did a, what, ten year(?) resto and nobody complained. The last two years was lining up all the bolt heads. I think. That’s how I remember it anyway ;-).

Mind you, that was pre-Netflix.
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Oi……cheeky bugger……mind you might have been true…. 8)
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Apologies Mr P.
Actually 11 years.
Says so in your signature ;).
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Looking forward to the next instalment. I was pleased to see the slightly scruffy-looking bent over section of flange behind the petrol tank level sender. I had heretofore assumed a previous owner hacked this flange away on mine, but it now appears it is original.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

RobFrost wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:23 pm it now appears it is original.
Well, who knows! I guess it does make some sense to create clearance for the sender wiring and vent pipe. But maybe we both have cars where a previous owner had a hammer.
I realise I could go on early s and find out. There is a really wonderful thread on there about build details of 64-65 cars, tracking down some of the early production changes that took place on the fly. Perhaps more of that later.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Where were we?
Oh yes:
Billy no mates with his C Class in Los Angeles.

I guess it's clear from context of this little story that it was not a scam. Or not the most obvious scam anyway.

A few minutes later my gracious host appeared and issued me with a paint depth gauge, which is a good start.
Into the industrial unit we went to look at the car and the parts stash. Both of which existed.

We also looked at some Rolexes, a guitar and a gun. But that's a slight diversion. Back to the car.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Richard, I was going to provide a suitable salutation : " How are you" but given the above I think it is not appropriate.
Therapy you said. Electric shock treatment may be preferable to yet another resto. Are you certifiable? Good luck with this one. I am sure you will do a marvelous job and looking forward to further installments.
PS did you buy the gun as well? Might come in handy if things do not pan out.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hi Kirk,
How are you? Long time no see.
As you know, it takes a special kind of forgetfulness to embark on another Porsche odyssey (resto in my case). Hence the long gap - I needed to erase various ups and downs from my memory. I am told it's the same with childbirth, except that in the case of childbirth the amazing human brain automatically erases most of it.
Nope, no gun purchase. Should have bought the Rolex though, with hindsight! Actually had I bought both the Rolexes and gone home without the car, I suspect I would be very far ahead of the current financial position on this resto...
Cheers, Richard.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Back to the industrial unit in LA.

Long story short, which can be somewhat illustrated by pics. The car was much as described. When looked at through the rose-tinted sunglasses I had handily brought along, it could be thought of as quite original. This sort of thing:
... and this:

The above pic shows a few encouraging features that were a consistent theme on the car. Ignore the stupid yellow paint again, please. Instead consider general lack of rust, and presence of original bits and pieces. In this case we are enjoying the slightly wider-than-expected wheel arch lips, which are a feature of early SWB cars.
The front end seemed generally very nice indeed, leaving aside the front pan rust already noted. Wings, front slam, 4-screw horn grilles and indicator units that all fitted nicely. Nothing too untoward to see there.

Paint gauge showed charming lack of bondo on the front end and roof etc.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Front overriders with the rear slots:

A little bit of blue paint underneath:

Horn grilles and light units:

IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

inaglasshouse wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:02 pm Front overriders with the rear slots:

What is the purpose of the rear slots? Not seen that before.

Bali blue is a nice colour. Similar to Albert blue.

Subscribed.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

IanM wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:11 pm What is the purpose of the rear slots? Not seen that before.
I'm afraid I've no idea of the purpose. They are an early car thing, apparently.
IanM wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:11 pm Bali blue is a nice colour. Similar to Albert blue.
Yes, similar. I've seen a few Bali cars now in real life, and plenty more in pics. The colour looks good with the chrome, IMHO.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

BTW I'm consciously posting all this "how I thought it looked when I bought it" stuff before I get the shell back from envirostrip. It returns on Friday, at which point we can all have a jolly good laugh at how wrong I was.

Down the back the corrosion story was (or "appeared"!) much the same. Yellow overspray, tired underseal leading to surface rust in places. One of the rear seat pans not great. Possibly a few thin / pinholed bits of floor. But overall not a rusty car at all.

inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

But, as previously mentioned, the rear slam and deck lid were later items suggesting rear impact at some point. This was borne out by nastiness at the back of the rear wings:

Visible evidence of filler there, leading to horrible fit of the rear lights. The paint gauge at this point proved that it had not been rigged to always say "don't worry it's all fine" - rear 30cm or so of the rear wings showed increasingly more paint / filler on both sides as you got to the back. Rest of the wings seemed sound and original.

No obvious huge trauma to the rear "chassis rails" in the engine bay. I remember, however, that on the previous resto those looked fine but were quite far off, so we must wait for bare metal and jig before drawing too many conclusions.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

The anticipation for Friday's reveal is killing me
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk