Festival of Speed Ticket for the Friday - WTB

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

I don't suppose anyone has a spare FOS ticket for Friday, that they no longer need?

cheers

joe
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Re: Festival of Speed Ticket for the Friday - WTB

Post by Disco »

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but yet again I was blown away by the staggering lack of anything really to do at Goodwood.

Maybe it was because it was wet and windy, but if you strip away the vendors stalls that paid to be there, you’re left with some pretty posh toilets and a constant re- run of the same 6 Porsche going up and down the hill climb.

Most of the high end cars were on stands . Couple of Singers, some koneisiggs (sp?) but none of the Uber rare Bugatti’s actually driving.

Couple of F1 cars through the era, but that’s one of the eight hours filled in the above.

I saw some live Jazz playing near the main house, but honestly, I thought it was lazy, especially for the almost 100 quid ticket.

I suspect, others will disagree with me. My son had a a good time and this year I conveniently saved a load of money by not parking in the supercar carpark - can’t believe they charge you to park there .. I mean, charge you to basically exhibit your car …

I’ve complained about revival before, which I thought was equally lazy, but in comparison, I’d rather be there than FOS.
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Bugatti Bolide?…

Each to their own I guess.
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Completely, but my comment of 6-9 Porsche traipsing up a hill climb every 3 hours does not a festival, make.

And my point about Bugatti, was more relating to the HyperCars I was expecting to see. No 918’s for example.

As I say, I do expect this to be an unpopular opinion, as I know there are a fair number of goodwood members on here that will likely have the opposite view, but even from a viewing perspective - if you’d not bought grandstand tickets, you could hardly see over the bales of grass… - just another way of conning you into spending another 40 quid next time I suppose..

It’s a big event, some if not all of the larger car manufacturers were there, some nice stuff, don’t get me wrong, but by christ, if you’d got the weekend tickets, I mean, what on Earth would you do with your time other than experience ground hog day after the first 3 hours…

There, proper rant. Got it off my chest now, so feel much better
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Of the three Goodwood events, only the Members’ Meeting lights my fire any more. Always struck me that FofS is solely for families with kids who want to see over-styled ‘hypercars’ on parade.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

KS wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:02 pm Of the three Goodwood events, only the Members’ Meeting lights my fire any more. Always struck me that FofS is solely for families with kids who want to see over-styled ‘hypercars’ on parade.
Spot on Keith.
The best bit at FOS in my opinion is the rally stage in the woods on top o& the hill- most visitors don’t know it’s there!,
Haven’t been for three years now - ditto Revival.
My brother and I maintain family membership but really only go to Members Meeting - with no advantage for members- which still I think is fab!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Sam

Post by Sam »

The festival is still great if you like examining new cars. There’s plenty to see in terms of concepts, design studies, new production and pre production stuff. To get all that in one pleasant setting in England is fab, it’s often the first and last place I ever see cars.

Ignore the action on the hill and go on the Thursday when the crowds are smaller, the stands more accessible and the famous car industry people are wandering around. Stroll around, have a drink and marvel at the industry we love.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Exactly.
KS

Post by KS »

I guess the problem is that I’m not interested in modern supercars, styling exercises etc. - they’re largely irrelevant exercises in willy waving. My interest lies with historics, seeing them race and being used in anger, not out on parade. Each, of course, to his own. As long as events like FofS mean meets like the MM can go ahead, that’s fine by me.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

KS wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:17 pm I guess the problem is that I’m not interested in modern supercars, styling exercises etc. - they’re largely irrelevant exercises in willy waving. My interest lies with historics, seeing them race and being used in anger, not out on parade. Each, of course, to his own. As long as events like FofS mean meets like the MM can go ahead, that’s fine by me.
Me too- for me, new cars have no soul!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
Sam

Post by Sam »

Come on gize.

The Aston Valkyrie? 1000bhp from a 12,000rpm V12. Designed by the greatest race car aerodynamicist of this generation and most successful F1 designer of all time. Not worth a look?

I agree that watching cars like that parade round is dull, but to see the details of them up close and to chat to the people involved with them is awesome.

I was flicking through the original (rubbish and badly translated) sales brochure for the 917 a few weeks ago, it belongs to a friend and was picked up from the Porsche stand at the 1970 motor show. Today’s new cars are tomorrow’s legends.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
KS

Post by KS »

I’m more impressed by 8-10,000bhp from a 500ci pushrod V8 turning at 8500rpm :lol:
Different strokes for different folks.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Watched the coverage yesterday on TV
Interviews ans a bit of 'Friday' also.
Made for a good interesting program with some intelligent drivers. Forgotten how good Suzi is!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

It may be an age thing - Keith and I are of similar vintage😀
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

I’m not remotely interested in the new hypercars.

This is what floats my boat: