Any ideas re CSP rear brake disc problems ?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Any ideas re CSP rear brake disc problems ?

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Hi

I have been working away installing the CSP brake discs I treated myself to earlier in the year.

The fronts seem to be ok but seem a little noisy, I am hoping this is some sort of bedding in noise ?

My main problem is that I was getting quite a lot of noise from the rear - screeching and what sounds like bearings, even though they are new !!

So I have jacked up the back and the first thing I have noticed on both sides is that there is a wobble and play when you pull and push the wheel - this is happening on both sides

first thought was the axle nut was not tight enough however I have tried tightening it up as far as it can go and there is still a wobble

I don't think it can be the axle as this is the same on both sides

I am wondering if shims can be used or a large washer on the outside so that the nut is able to be torqued up to 400lb / sq ft

Any suggestions would be great

Many thanks

Jeremy
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Any ideas re CSP rear brake disc problems ?

Post by Nine One One »

I think there is something somewhere about running VW bearings in the rear hubs for certain conversions, but can not find the link?
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

You fitted the shim & spacer in front of the bearing?
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Hi

Thanks that does ring a bell that someone mentioned using a certain bearing - I will investigate as I think it was during a conversation re the EMPI front spindles ???

Yes I am sure we used the shim and spacer, but it sounds like I have to open it up to double check !!

If the space was missing then that would certainly cause this issue I suspect !!

Thanks a lot

Regards Jeremy
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

I had a look and in the spindles conversation Hashman said I need to order the 356B later bearings for the rear discs as those supplied seem to be pre A bearings

This could be the problem - I will message him and see if he has any more information !

Thanks

Jeremy
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

The instructions say it fits 365a and 365b?
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Hi Jeremy i hope you saw my DM back to you about the spindles, that late 59 A front bearings are the same size as B front bearings.
It occurred to me that if you have swapped from drums to disks, have you also changed the master cylinder?
A drum master cylinder will not work on disks as it has a built-in residual pressure valve which will not let the brakes off and cause a constant binding.
All the best.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Hi Karl
Thanks for the quick response to my DM that explains what we were discussing about the front end with disc conversions and spindles

On the rear discs, I am in touch with PRS about bearings, but I did also see a castle nut washer / spacer which might help give the castle nut more thread to be torqued up on.

Speaking to CSP they have suggested I take the disc units apart and rebuild it checking for movement through each stage - if there is still movement when torqued up then they suggest both drive shafts will need to be renewed !!

Fingers crossed it is a simple solution

Re the master cylinder - I have got the CSP dual master cylinder fitted too although at the moment it seems most of the braking is on the front which I think needs to be adjusted

Regards Jeremy
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Hi all

Sun came out recently and I am glad to say I had the car ready for it !!

After taking the front calipers off and really getting a good look at them - they seemed to be sitting at a 0.9mm angle off centre and that was causing the pads to wear very oddly. So everything is now straightened up with a shim and they suddenly they started working much better.

I am used some spacers on the back and this tightened up the back really well.

Good enough to go to the Revival on Saturday !! In the Pre 66 car park there were plenty of 356s which was great, with a few I have never seen plus a few old favourites and several from over the channel !

Return journey was good too so about 150 mile round trip with minimal issues !! Even the bounciness seemed to be more settled.

As the car has not done much mileage this year, I will try to make up lost time before the gritters appear !! This will help me fine tune things ahead of a visit to PRS in late Sept for a bit of overdue TLC !!

KTF

Regards Jeremy
1957 356A T1

Regards Jeremy