Seat refurb

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Seat refurb

Post by rft218 »

Hi All,

The next job on my list is to do something about my seats. I have quite good but saggy comfort seats in my 71 S. Obviously some of the interior has collapsed and will need new foams. I guess I have 2 options either refurb these, and I have looked at Lakewell.com as people that seem good, they seem around €920 plus VAT with headrests (I got my carpets from them and they were good.. if hard work to install properly!), or find a set of decent replica sports seats.

2 questions - anyone know of a set of replica sports seats they want to part with, and / or has anyone tried doing the lakewell kit - I think its what design911 sell, is it good and not too hard! :-)

Cheers

Roger
coomo
DDK forever

Re: Seat refurb

Post by coomo »

Sure anyone can fit covers.However, the difference between do it yourself,and a pro upholsterer,is likely to be very obvious.
deano
I luv DDK!

Re: Seat refurb

Post by deano »

Haven't tried the kit, but have had my original covers on/off several time to fix the springs and reinforce the back of the covers and I would say it is very easy to get the covers on and off. I haven't tried to remove the back rest covers, but imagine that it is pretty simple too.

Remove seat cushion by unscrewing from the recliner brackets and disconnecting the release cable hook (cable is crimped onto the hook, so disconnect the hook, not the cable), remove seat runners etc. To get the bum rest cover off, push down at the sides, pull the bottom edges of the cover down, and unhook from the bottom edge of the base (sitting on edges helps). To free/remove the springbox/bolster from the metal base (I filled the springs from the bottom), bend up the metal tabs that hold the bottom of the springs to the metal base.

You can buy new springs, and foam mouldings, at great expense. Or, you can stuff the individual springs with furniture foam to make them firm and comfortable (without adding significant weight), and can reshape the bolsters with sheets of furniture foam and a bread knife or scissors to contour, and can smooth out thin areas of the horsehair seat pad itself with clumps of horse hair and optionally then cover over with thin foam sheet - I can advise on what to buy if interested...
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored