O/T Road bike recommendations

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: O/T Road bike recommendations

Post by sladey »

OK I’m back on this again now - had a bit of a wobble when the wife was having second thoughts after a bout of long Covid. However she’s fully fit again now so we’re back in the room.

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 contenders

Titus roadrunner in titanium

https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/titu ... 7869621478

OR

Planet X in Carbon

https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/plan ... 7868998886

I’ve done a detailed online sizing check (which was really thorough with a million and one measurements) and both are within my recommended spec for reach and stack. The carbon is 15mm longer reach but I don’t think that’s material

I’m leaning towards the titanium one as I think it would be a slightly more relaxed ride and in the carbon one you are getting fancy electric gears so I would conclude from that that I’d be getting a better frame set with the titanium one

Any thoughts gratefully received

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Opinions vary (as always..) but the wisdom I’ve had for a long time is to buy the best frame you can and upgrade kit as it wears out. As you say the Ti frame should be more comfortable and for me there’s just something about that material that gives it the edge over carbon. Ti is also generally quieter than a cheaper carbon frame as you seem to get a resonance on different surfaces from a carbon frame. All of the pro race teams would disagree but hey, we aren’t racers
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Personally I’d be buying Ti because I’ve always wanted a titanium frame, but then again I ride ( stainless ) steel . All my mates ride carbon .
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Thanks guys
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah