Road tripping to the Dolomites

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Road tripping to the Dolomites

Post by stretch »

What a wonderful experience. Hope to do something similar next year. Great pictures lads.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Terrific trip.
Have done those places over the years, but in hire cars or the Boxster. Murano is a super place.

Austria this year, Germany and France on the way there and back.

Get out while you can everyone.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

murph2309 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:32 pm Image
He ate this the day we stopped at the local place with all the locals eating there. To be fair, 12 people around the table all instantly ordered the same thing…
That was funny, 12 spaghetti bolognese
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Best spag bol ever :)

Pano from half way up Grossglockner:
964RS

Post by 964RS »

There’s a distinct lack of Audi photos in this thread…. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

hmg66
DDK Fanatic

Post by hmg66 »

Got to love a few days of sensible but spirited Gentleman driving shenanigans thankyou for sharing such stunning scenery, stunning cars.

Very jelly indeed. Would love to do this in mine.
86 Guards Red Carrera 3.2
87 UR quattro
89 Guards Red 944 turbo
05 Guards Red 987 Boxster S
964RS

Post by 964RS »

hmg66 wrote:Got to love a few days of sensible but spirited Gentleman driving shenanigans thankyou for sharing such stunning scenery, stunning cars.

Very jelly indeed. Would love to do this in mine.
There was nothing sensible in the driving on this trip :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

hmg66
DDK Fanatic

Post by hmg66 »

I thought as much but was giving you all the benefit of the doubt :)
86 Guards Red Carrera 3.2
87 UR quattro
89 Guards Red 944 turbo
05 Guards Red 987 Boxster S
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

what a thread! Thats brightened up my monday morning.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Great thread, thanks for sharing!!
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
hot66

Post by hot66 »

DAY 5

Unfortunatley it was time to leave the Dolomites , but that didnt mean no more hills .

Usual start time , even though many of us were a bit fuzzy after the previous nights antics, and we headed of towards Bolzano , but cross country rather than the main roads. We had a great twisty climb out of the valley to get us started as we left the dolomite region .

As with all my trips, it is a requirement to at least once have the narrowest and bumpiest roads incl, ideally with grass down the middle :lol: ... got to be honest, when my nav told me to turn into a specific lane even I thought Id gone to far ... headed down to wards a jet back single lane tunnel on a 1 in 4 hill surrouned by high banks either side. I specifically radioed back to everyone NOT to follow, but as usual no one paid any attention so we were committed and with no chance of getting back out again ... luckilly through the other side of the tunnel the road 'opened up' and we trundled down into a valley which was nicknamed the 'Indiana Jones Valley' by the rest of the lads. Not many pics apart from the usual pee stop, but it was stunning if somewhat narrow.

Eventually this led out to Bolzano, where we took the countryside route again rather than the valley floor and headed up the SP99 which climbed in a helterskelter fashion with the road overlapping itself as it climbed to give the most stunning view of the city ( if you like that kind of thing) . The SP99 eventually dropped us down to Merano where we joined the traffic in the valley and we headed north . We were taking this road to head up towards the other "big' pass , the Timmelsjoch, a pass that had elluded us last time as the snow wasnt cleared . Luckilly for us, this year the snow fall hadn't been as great and the pass had opened a couple of days earlier.

The Timmelsjoch is one of THE high Alpine passes . Not sure what my expectations were for this pass, but it turned out to be a fantastic run ( from the south ) with everythig you'd want . Fast , twisty , enclosed and also open if that makes sense. After a full on adrenaline run we all arrived at the summit where we grabbed coffee and lunch in prep for the afternoon.

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

A classic Charndley road for sure, but all part of the adventure. :) The loose plank wooden bridge was quite amusing…

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Little bit of Timmelsjoch from me. Truly beautiful 8) Road trip of a lifetime stuff :) Thanks again to James for being our tour guide, planner and trip leader, we all really appreciate it.

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Bit out of sequence, this is Grossglockner

hot66

Post by hot66 »

We headed down the timmelsjoch for a quick fuel stop in Solden where somehow me and Gary ended up getting split from the rest of the lads … not to worry as there were a couple of passes left before we got to our hotel and we were sure we’d meet . That was the plan anyway. It became an afternoon light on photos though

So me and Gary had a good run and soon got to the first pass just north of Imst. That was until we got stuck at the front of a line of traffic behind a couple of cars behind a coach. Radios started crackling back into life and turned out the rest of the guys were behind us in the que due to a slight navigational variation :lol: … anyway, bus pulled in and an overtake or so and me and Gary had a great clear run up another superb pass … not so for the rest of them who were stuck behind a line of traffic . Dropping off the tops I ran into traffic as well , but this lot were travelling at about 10mph! One of last scenic passes of the trip and we’d managed to get stuck behind a vintage tractor run of about 20 tractors & Unimogs ! The novelty wears off after the first 30mins sat in first gear along with about 50 other cars ! At least we had the entertainment of the walkie talkies ti lighten the mood .

cant actually remember where this photo of me & Richard is .. but it was on this day

End of the pass, they all turned right where as we went left , along the valley and up to a nice low level pass. I had a bit of fun with a little Hyundai i20N when the speed limits allowed swapping positions on the road and we both stopped at the top for a bit of English / German banter :lol: .. first thing he said to me ‘your car , not stock !?’ .. he loved it especially the noise when I’d passed him … think Richard thought something else was going on when he rolled up but soon realised they were 2 nice lads . They were most surprised to see so Porsches being driven quick as he said usually they are just posed about in in his country :lol: A quick discussion about average speed cameras on tunnels ! ( bit late now for this info ! :lol: ) and off we went to our next Hotel that was a little gem

View from the bar

View from the dining table .. eating whilst looking at your Porsches … a car pervs dream

Another 1/2 board hotel and the food was stunning

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)