Who sells correctly shaped horn grills for a 1971 911T Targa?

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Neilnaz
DDK addict

Who sells correctly shaped horn grills for a 1971 911T Targa?

Post by Neilnaz »

Hi All, I have searched on this subject but not found the answer. I am restoring my 1971 Targa. When I purchased it, it was wearing black horn grills. I bought some cheap repros from Pelican. They were from Tasker Metal Products. The bonnet didn't fit well. The gaps at the side of the bonnet were in keeping. Now I am restoring the car I want to get some chrome horn grills that fit really well.

I recently purchased a pair from Aase sales in the States. They seemed to be of nice quality and were certainly not cheap but do not fit. They accepted that I was not happy and I am returning them.

Original horn grill (that has been painted black) fitting nicely but

Supplied horn grill

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Re: Who sells correctly shaped horn grills for a 1971 911T Targa?

Post by Neilnaz »

This is another photo showing the gap.

Dimensions of an original:

Dimensions of the replacement:

If anyone can identify a horn grill available that is dimensionally accurate I would be grateful.

Cheers, Neil
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I’ve not had to deal with pattern grills .. those look terrible fitment though.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but your originals look like metal so could be chrome plated for similar cost I think....
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Hi Deano, I have been thinking as much. Unfortunately, those black ones aren't my black ones (which as black plastic). The ones that fit really well are off another customer car. They fit really well on his car and on my car.

I have a quote for approximately $1,000NZ (around 500pounds) for a pair of that purport to be from Porsche. I have no idea whether they will fit well. I just imagined that someone sells horn grills that are very close to original fitment. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount on these but that seems quite a lot.

I may be able to purchase the well-fitting items from the other customer car but he will only then be in the same position as I am in. I understand that they were chrome originally and then someone will have sanded them back to get a key for the black paint. The risk is that the underlying metal ir porous and may need quite a lot of work to re-chrome them.

Cheers, Neil
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

It would be worth contacting Eric Linden at ‘autoforeign services’ in the US. I cannot recommend his products highly enough and he is a true 911 enthusiast. He spends a lot of time getting reproduction parts made to exacting standards, so much so, that his ‘run’ of each item is often sold out quickly. He is very busy and may be slow to respond to an email but it’s worth the wait. If he doesn’t have your item in stock he usually can say when it will be. I have bought many an item from him and never disappointed.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I bought a chrome set from AFS. They fit perfectly and were exactly the same shape/size as the incorrect for 1970 black ones that were on the car when I bought it. However, I have fibreglass front wings, so are not as perfect as the original factory steel ones. Nevertheless, they look a lot better than yours.

I wrote this up on my thread..... http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 1&start=45

Paul
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Thanks very much for your advice with regards AFS. I have contacted them and asked whether they can provide a set. I believe they are away at the moment but I am hoping to hear back.

I have also got a quote for a pair of Porsche originals that are close to £500. I suppose that it the price of these things.

I appreciate the assistance and will let you know which way I go.

Cheers, Neil
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

I have chrome repros on mine, although UK purchased but I suspect they are the same manufacturer as yours as the fit is almost as bad. With some fiddling I did get them to fit a little better.
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Well, I received a single Passenger side item from Porsche (my local Porsche parts dealer/supplier) the parts guy there was super helpful although it was rather expensive. Research and reaching out on here lead me to believe that it was either Porsche original or Auto Foreign Services who stated that they might do another production run - so they didn't have that option available.
I am awaiting the Driver side item which being shipped from a different location.

The good news is that the item fits really well:

This is offered up to my car as opposed to the previous pictures where it was another customer's car - the fit is the same.

I have noted that the bonnet is not the best fit along the bottom - it seems to have a different curl -so this will have to be addressed.

Cheers, Neil
Rostrenner
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rostrenner »

I run those AFS one on my 1972 911 and their dimensions are way more accurate that all the other repro parts.
Highly recommended!

Regards
Jan
210bhp wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:50 am It would be worth contacting Eric Linden at ‘autoforeign services’ in the US. I cannot recommend his products highly enough and he is a true 911 enthusiast. He spends a lot of time getting reproduction parts made to exacting standards, so much so, that his ‘run’ of each item is often sold out quickly. He is very busy and may be slow to respond to an email but it’s worth the wait. If he doesn’t have your item in stock he usually can say when it will be. I have bought many an item from him and never disappointed.

Regards
Mike
'72 2.4T Viper Green -> Video | '73 2.4T Signal Yellow (project)