More scary cr@p from DVLA

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

keith fellowes
DDK forever

Re: More scary cr@p from DVLA

Post by keith fellowes »

What will happen to Jonathan's XK? If the chassis is original, does that mean no rust repairs, it will be ok?
Sincerely hope it doesn't get a Q plate
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

All this is speculation at present based on the minimal information that DVLA has given out. The problem is that nobody knows what or when they propose to inflict all this on us. However it is clear that changes are afoot…
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Any irony here that Brexit was supposedly about getting away from invasive legislation, yet this madness comes from within the UK? And is this kind of thing party-in-charge related, or the work of the mandarins in ministries who really run things no matter whether Con or Lab in power? I thought Conservatives were the “less-regulation” types?

Viewing from afar, John
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Any irony here that Brexit was supposedly about getting away from invasive legislation, yet this madness comes from within the UK? And is this kind of thing party-in-charge related, or the work of the mandarins in ministries who really run things no matter whether Con or Lab in power? I thought Conservatives were the “less-regulation” types?

Hello John, good to see you are still 'attending' ddk!

You make a good point here, and as the famous Yes Minister programs would depict things, the Civil Service is King.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

911hillclimber wrote: I thought Conservatives were the “less-regulation” types?[/b]
Only if a high-up party member has a financial interest in that sector.s

Sadly it’s an industry made up of small independent businesses and the government seems to have decided we don’t need those any more, just hedge funds, the tech sector and multinational pharmaceutical firms.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just written to my MP, a certain Gavin Williamson fame.

But he did respond well to my concerns when all this started to errupt a few years ago, so fingers crossed.

Moaning on forums is one thing, gotta do something about it!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

Indeed…
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Anta
DDK above all

Post by Anta »

This is beyond infuriating. They are just causing people worry and distress for absolutely no real gain. It is embarrassing.

The point made about new vehicle repairs earlier in the thread is bang on, We had an EV hit ground coming out of a ramped car park, new battery required as structural part of floor, £24k repair now back on road,…. I would not buy this car in a million years if I am honest. Yet some poor sod who comes off SORN with a roll cage gets a Q. Absolutely crazy.

I guess where a driver is admitting they have altered the chassis it could be argued the DVLA can’t agree it is OK because they can’t confirm the work is done safely. However, if they wanted to be fair they would insist on an MOT or even an inspection to assure basic good technique etc. What is not fair is the designation of Q Plate without a real ability to appeal. Bonkers.

PS - Look forward to seeing Q Plates on all the modified Police vehicles :oops:
Carrera 2.7 MFI 1974
Taycan 2022
993 C2 Coupe 1996 - SOLD
912 Coupe 1968 - SOLD
550 Spyder - SOLD
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Wish you would send that excellent post to the Government and DVLA as it summarieses the situation so well. Please do.

Love the Police car bit, and the ambulances and almost all the vehicles run by the Government!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

The doctors on call round these parts have a very interestingly modified Subaru’s for making sure they can get to those remote out of the way patients. Obviously a standard Subaru just wouldn’t cut it when someone’s life might be in the balance. Got to be a certainty for a Q plate.

This is completely unworkable, and is the kind of policy dreamt by, quite frankly, numpties who haven’t got a clue without any foresight about what the consequences might be and have no experience in this field. There may well be individuals who have ‘bent’ the rules with certain vehicles in the past but it’s pretty obvious what is a modified car over a restored (as near as possible to original) car. In fact, isn’t that the whole point, restoration threads are full of owners who get the fine details right by loads of research and try to get their pride and joy close to factory spec. Then you go and drill a couple of holes for a fire extinguisher………………

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

What about Singer and Ruf? If I understand correctly, they're tuners, not manufacturers. They do a lot of cutting, drilling and welding..
Martin P
DDK Fanatic

Post by Martin P »

As people are saying the only way to apply these ridiculous rules fairly would be;
Every Police car gets a Q plate,
Every new transit tipper or camper conversion gets a Q plate for its aftermarket modification
Every month old car which has a crash and slightly bends the chassis needs a Q plate.
If you screw a mobile phone holder into the transmission tunnel or put in rear parking sensors you need a Q plate.
Bigger wheels and tyres should require a Q plate .(Maybe we should start putting cross-plys back on our vehicles)

Most of the modifications such as roll cage, roll bars, bigger brakes, wider wheels/tyres, better suspension ,new seat belts etc. all make the car safer/stronger.
There is a perfectly easy way to find out if these changes are safe available in every town called an MOT.
Very few people here would be worried about having a yearly MOT. I personally think it is crazy that they were abolished for old cars. Not everyone is as enthusiastic as us and also as a lay person it is easy to miss things.
From what is being said the rules haven't been changed but some idiot ,presumably with little understanding of cars who cycles to work on a shopper and lives with his Mum has changed how they are being interpreted.
This interpretation is ridiculous and perverted and surely is illogical.
As someone said earlier perhaps Whitehall needs to be blocked one Sunday by some early cars!
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

I've just lifted the below from https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

As I read it and the order that I read it.

Replacement parts are allowed if you wish to keep the correct age related plate. But if those parts have been altered from original then it's a Q plate.

It this is the case if someone with the pockets and the fight in them pushed it to court (preferably the federation) I could see them succeeding.

(The lifted bit...)

Keep the original registration number

Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5 points

Suspension (front and back) - original 2 points

Axles (both) - original 2 points

Transmission - original 2 points

Steering assembly - original 2 points

Engine - original 1 point

Get a ‘Q’ registration number

You will not be able to keep your vehicle’s original registration number if one of the following applies:

it has fewer than 8 points

it has a second-hand or altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame

there’s evidence that 2 vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie ‘cut and shut’)

In this example where a 1960 Mini had an EV transplant, but got caught out due to a single hole drilled for cabling (not the engine, batteries or warp speed) the failure was "it was not possible to confirm if the structure is as the manufacturer intended". I don't think a single hole wouldn't constitute radically altered and that statement provided by the powers that be doesn't look particularly robust.

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/main ... assic-car/

Is it such that the rules remain, but the application is now more stringent / different?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

How does Retropower manage to keep original reg plates? Their cars are the very definition of radically modified.