More scary cr@p from DVLA

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

More scary cr@p from DVLA

Post by KS »

DVLA are at it again. They refuse to draw up a definitive ‘rule book’ yet continue to issue comments that are just plain scary. The (utterly useless) FBHVC has just published a summary of communication with DVLA, of which this is part…

• Contrary to long-standing practice that like-for-like repairs to a vehicle were not considered to affect its identity or status it now appears that any repair to a chassis or monocoque will be regarded as a modification and the vehicle will no longer be considered as historic
• Making holes in a monocoque is also considered to be a modification with the same consequences.

By implication, NO restoration can be carried out to a historic vehicle without changing its taxation class - and as it’s deemed to be modified, it would need to go through IVA. Consider that for a moment: that 356 that’s sitting ready to be restored, or that Carrera RS with full history which has had a mild off, cannot be repaired without subsequently losing its historic status and having to be modified to meet the demands of IVA testing…

Make of that what you will…
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: More scary cr@p from DVLA

Post by Jonny Hart »

Yes, things are potentially looking sketchy for 100's of workshops restoring cars and especially those strengthening chassis.

I got forwarded a letter from the DVLA which is doing the rounds concerning a customer who made a complaint about the Q plate / IVA test required for a roll cage.

The letter unequivocally restates that because the roll cage was not fitted my the manufacturer, the vehicle MUST wear a Q plate and have an IVA test.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

So, drill a few holes for a fire extinguisher and it's a Q plate?
Fit a better speaker to a door?
This level of thinking will consign almost every classic to a Q plate once modified (more?) to meet the IVA.

What a situation.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hmg66
DDK Fanatic

Post by hmg66 »

KS wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:39 pm DVLA are at it again. They refuse to draw up a definitive ‘rule book’ yet continue to issue comments that are just plain scary. The (utterly useless) FBHVC has just published a summary of communication with DVLA, of which this is part…

• Contrary to long-standing practice that like-for-like repairs to a vehicle were not considered to affect its identity or status it now appears that any repair to a chassis or monocoque will be regarded as a modification and the vehicle will no longer be considered as historic
• Making holes in a monocoque is also considered to be a modification with the same consequences.

By implication, NO restoration can be carried out to a historic vehicle without changing its taxation class - and as it’s deemed to be modified, it would need to go through IVA. Consider that for a moment: that 356 that’s sitting ready to be restored, or that Carrera RS with full history which has had a mild off, cannot be repaired without subsequently losing its historic status and having to be modified to meet the demands of IVA testing…

Make of that what you will…

For avoidance of doubt where is this being quoted?
86 Guards Red Carrera 3.2
87 UR quattro
89 Guards Red 944 turbo
05 Guards Red 987 Boxster S
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I am a paid-up member of the fbhvc and I think this will be on their web site.
Will have a look tomorrow, might be for members only.( or not)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

I can't vouch that these are 100% genuine but it would seem an odd thing to falsify:

Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

'Investors in People' apparently.
KS

Post by KS »

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/newsletter-arch ... 5Bt4vZmb5M

Go to page 6 of the 2023 newsletter number 2.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
KS

Post by KS »

hmg66 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:15 pm For avoidance of doubt where is this being quoted?
https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/newsletter-arch ... LNzB0kHbPg

Go to Issue 2, 2023, page 6...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have secured Investors in People in 2 companies when I worked, nothing to do with what a company do, just how they internally go about it, but i take your point!
With the recent inefficiency of the DVLA and back logs etc, they should look internally to themselves .

The above letters are spine chilling and will have a devastating effect on the classic car hobby.
Few classics are original and able to avoid the Q plate.

How is this supposed to work?
I guess you have to make a declaration to the DVLA that the car is not modified to the Points System when you apply for tax.
Should you be honest AND understand the car well enough to be accurate and make an accurate statement the car IS modified then I presume the car reg automatically gets cancelled and sent for IVA and might get a Q plate.

You will incur the costs and then pay tax that the DVLA said you did not have to.

Providing false statement could cancel insurance cover etc in an accident(etc).
If you are NOT able to be sure you may do 3 things
Out of simple ignorance declare it is an original spec car (to DVLA guide lines), all owners are not experts.
Have to have the car examined by a marque expert (owners club?) who will produce a statement as to the car's status.
All historic classics have to get a certificate from a marque expert as to the status of the car's spec and give that to the DVLA. The DVLA cannot have the expertise to know all the details of all the classic vehicle in this country.
If the car passes, all is well.
If it fails, IVA.

There must surely be a Trade body who will contact the DVLA to lobby the effect this will have, but why would the DVLA be bothered?
More tax to be taken and a VERY long IVA queue, all waiting to get your money.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Just had a read. This is a fair point, well made!

"DVLA claim that vehicle registration policy is the same for vehicles of all ages. If that is the case, we consider the rulings regarding repairs to chassis or monocoques should apply equally to repaired accident damaged modern vehicles but that they clearly don’t. Similarly, the decision to regard the making of holes in a monocoque as a modification should apply to modern vehicle but there is no evidence that it does."

Wouldn't that be great if you prang your daily and it has to get a Q plate! Wonderful!
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Wow. Madness.

Literally every historic car would lose its status unless it’s a time capsule museum piece.

A simple sill rust repair, a welded repair as part of light crash repair, the infamous roll cage/fire extinguisher…

Straight to Q plate and IVA, which it wouldn’t pass, so into registration limbo?

How many of us own cars that are genuinely untouched down to this level. Zero would be my guess.

What are they smoking?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

My MP has a classic Series 2 Landie and was unaware a few years ago bout all this kind of DVLA action. He sent my concerns to the Transport minister!

I feel a letter coming on very soon.

What is this country becoming?
Food banks and all that going on, energy costs and the effects, NHS in ruins, and we have this?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Maybe there are plans for a Giga IVA factory?!
Timo

Post by Timo »

Surely all part of the grand plan to get all old cars off the roads and force everybody down the route of buying a new “green” EV

Stage 1 - massively restrict what can get through an IVA test

Stage 2 - force 99.9% of classics through an IVA test

Stage 3 - increasingly restrict what can get through an IVA, to the point that eventually nothing will.

Or perhaps I’m just being cynical?
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan