More scary cr@p from DVLA

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: More scary cr@p from DVLA

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Came across this statement (that I've not noticed before) yesterday when re-taxing my Fulvia online:

I wonder if this also applies to the issuing of 'Q' plates - ie if the modifications were (& can be proved to be) carried out 30+ years ago then they are effectively ignored ?

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

I imagine it’s a small exemption for ex-police cars & similar, where they are modified when new?

For anything else, you’ll need proof including receipts from the workshop that did the work (diy good luck).
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Isn't that an interesting message from the dvla.
Is the phrase modified actually defined anywhere in the public domain?

I would wager that diy can be a better job than some garages, and the converse too.
How is a garage more qualified back then than a competent diy person.
All imho very debatable.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

Dated photographic evidence in the form of magazine features or similar has been accepted in the past, whether pro or diy.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That must be a rolling time frame?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Just on a quick diversion, same topic. I assume that changing engine size on a V5 from 1600 to 1700 isn't going to invoke any daftness from DVLA?
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

gridgway wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:49 pm Just on a quick diversion, same topic. I assume that changing engine size on a V5 from 1600 to 1700 isn't going to invoke any daftness from DVLA?
Would expect not ..... part of me says ... why bother (leave it alone , let sleeping dogs lie) - so long as insurance company knows , why would you want to or need to ?(will it change anything ?)
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Depends on whether you are talking about an increased capacity of the existing engine or a different engine to the one currently noted on the V5.

If the latter, I notified DVLA of a different/increased capacity engine in my Elite (1460cc FWB replacing the previous 1216cc FWE) & they wrote back saying that they required one of the following:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I'm currently having exactly this quandry. My 356 came from the USA with a dodgy re stamped 3rd piece.

It was a valid 356 engine number from 1963, and it appears on my V5 etc. When I did a complete engine rebuild 2 years ago, I replaced the 3rd piece with an un molested 3rd piece with a 1964 engine number, so much closer to the original engine number.

The problem with all this is, that I don't have any of the above documentation needed by the DVLA. The new 3rd piece was bought on Ebay, and the rest was bought piecemeal over 7 years.

I've kept the dodgy re stamped 3rd piece, and it will stay with the car if/when it is sold, and for now, the dodgy number is staying on the V5.

I've got a similar quandry with my Ducati. It has a complete, tuned 900ss engine with all the right bits, but no engine number at all, as I built it 20 years ago out of a pair of NOS un numbered crankcases, and anything I had lying around. Stamping new numbers on (or the number of the 750ss engine it replaced) would look odd.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
KS

Post by KS »

TBH my advice is unless you want to risk getting stung, don't poke a stick in a hornet's nest.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

Let’s be grateful that Porsche made sure the Chassis Number was properly stamped into the car itself.
Many BMC cars just had a screwed on aluminium plate reverse stamped with the cars identity.
If you have restored such a car and for whatever reason had to fit a new plate, the DVLA will not accept the car as original.
There’s a whole thread on the Mk1 Mini performance forum.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.