The XK

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

The XK

Post by jtparr »

Part 1

Like all good stories, there needs to be an opening which gains the attention of the reader…a plot that develops well in the middle and a satisfactory and conclusive ending

Well, I’m not much of a writer, and I wasn’t sure if I had the motivation to write a third build diary…but then I though, why not…trying to explain why we do things is no bad thing and sometimes therapeutic…..

So let’s see if this works…..

My 911 is now a part of my life that I couldn’t imagine being apart from, and after a dozen years of pleasure was joined by its older E Type sibling, a car I have wanted for some reason I can never truly recall, since I was 17 or so, which took both a longer time to restore than I expected but also took me along a journey of mild customising to create a car built better than original and highly personal to me

After the E Type I was fairly sure I was done with building cars and thought that 2 was enough to choose from on a sunny day…but then life, as it often does, changed

Being a part of one’s children’s life is something anyone would always want, and for ever if that were possible …but it isn’t…somehow thats acceptable as its part of life’s gentle cycle..we are born, we live and we pass on….but the issue at least for me was when that cycle was broken by a sudden event..which in my case was three fold

Aside from a separation, which whist not something I would necessarily have wished for, being something I had a part in I have to accept responsibility for…and shortly thereafter the passing of my mother, after a prolonged illness…well these were things I could process and deal with

However within a further year my longest known work colleague passed unexpectedly at only 65 years of age and within a further year another colleague passed far too early at 51 with an aggressive tumour and a university pal was diagnosed with a similar condition. It all felt like this rollercoaster called life had somehow lost its steady path and being around for a whole lot longer was not something that could be taken for granted in the slightest

I love making things….I always have, ever since as a kid I started with Airfix kits…it’s one of the things that I find calming and I never tire of.

It’s the reason I am an Architect, and it’s the reason I have 2 older cars….

So as I sat one evening in my local, I had one of those epiphany moments, or to be perfectly honest more like….

“…f*** this…life is far too short…..”…..I don’t have the space for another restoration, but I do have the means..I will just build another cabin in the garden and build another car…..

Simple….
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: The XK

Post by KS »

Large box of popcorn at the ready...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Part 2

As I sit writing this I don’t recall if at that moment I saw the car I wanted or simply made my mind up to make a decision…. there was a part of me that I recall thought about doing a resto modification on a Volvo P 1800, a car I have always liked and I did wonder whether I should convert to electric with slightly customised bodywork, and a reworked suspension system…but it didn’t quite feel like the right thing to do at this juncture……somehow, I needed something with a bit more soul in it.

I already had a car from the 1970s, and one from the 1960s, and there was nothing that really enticed me to think about anything from the 1980s, so going back in time to the 1950s seemed absolutely logical to me and from the era, there is only one car that I wanted to do and that was the XK120

It really was that simple

The XK120 was an amazing car when announced in 1948, the fastest production car in the world and something for a small manufacture like Jaguar to launch on the world stage three years after the end of World War II was the kind of achievement that I found inspiring

If you ever have the inclination I can recommend this short book…a man driven by a passion to achieve something through his own hard work…constantly looking for quality and honesty in a world where he faced industrial challenges for his entire life

Sure, by today’s standards the XK is antiquated, but yes, whilst that may well be the case, certain mechanical aspects can be improved upon, and I defy anyone to disagree with the fact that it is a very elegant object

This is a car with one of the most charismatic engines ever….used for the best part of 35 plus years by Jaguar in various forms and one which took them to the chequered flag 5 times at Le Mans in short succession….and for me living close to Farnham in Surrey the A31, The Hogs Back where Mike Hawwthorn sadly lost his life, I use that road every time I want to go for a drive

As with the E Type, where I had to get one of the very first models within the range, for me there was just no chance of anything but the XK120. Certainly the XK140 had greater headroom and leg room which might be useful in such a narrow bodied car and whilst the XK150 appeals to many, for me it had lost the pure lines of the original version so a first generation example between 1948 and 1954, had to be the answer

I generally prefer coupes and in that respect I seem to be agreeing with Lyons who always felt that the closed topped cars were the more beautiful as they created a more perfect form when compared to the convertible or roadster versions, so that narrowed things further to a car from 1951 onward…a RHD car was unrealistic as less than 200 were made, but with close to 7,000 LHD to choose from a genuine restoration case was possible

Most had gone to the USA as part of the “export or die…” mantra of Great Britain in those days, but as with the E type they were made to be both right and left hand with minimal changes so a change to right hand (I am left handed and always prefer changing gear with that hand) would be straight forward

They don’t exactly grow on trees and finding one that was untouched over the last 70 years is not easy…

But that there interweb is a pretty useful thing…..
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Thanks Keith…hope you’re well….it’s been a while since I did this diary thing….that took me ages to remember how to upload to Postimage site and then do “the link thing..”

am off to walk up to the local….need a refreshener…..…. :wink: ….a place where great decisions are taken

Best
Jp
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Part 3

Having imported the E Type from the US many years ago I was fairly relaxed about doing something similar this time, but as the sums of money involved were somewhat greater this time I was, to say the least somewhat nervous about buying privately..not that a dealer is an immediate answer to security, but it felt a little better…

Which was good as I found the kind of thing i was looking for fairly quickly….tired…none restored…at Beverly Hills Car Club…a dealer with a variety of reputations it has to be said…but as far as I was concerned they were straight talking…offered a small discount…and the price was fair so long as the car was what is proported to be…

This was the car as described on the web…and once asked they forwarded further images to confirm matching numbers

This was March 2021

After agreeing a price they forwarded further images confirming more matching numbers..and general condition…..it looked tired…but honest and straight and as a total restoration project the main thing was for it to be complete and not part disassembled

It was silver over black, but this was a cheap overspray from way back when…originally a classic 1950’s shade of green called Suede Green, a curious colour which seems to vary depending on the light….

but also with suede green leather, which is the colour that I chose to trim the E Type

I hope I like Suede Green paint as despite the physical modifications i wanted to do, this time I wanted to keep the car in the original colours….

I arranged insurance as their price seemed a little high…but they handled everything else

I just needed to arrange collection at Felixstowe..

All boxes ticked…money transferred and the (sometimes) anxious wait began….
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Going to be tight getting it ready for CLM JP :lol:

I’ve settled down, so bring on the resto story …….
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
KS

Post by KS »

I'm guessing you've seen Thornley Kelham's take on the XK...

https://www.thornleykelham.com/wp-conte ... ropean.pdf
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

At last, another deep deep restoration!
Absolutely loved your e type project, I do hope this one will be as exacting.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

I have Keith, but it really doesn’t do it for me….and a big issue I have it’s all computer generated visuals…not a single image is real…..what we all do with our cars is completely our business…so I wish them luck…but I find what they have done has gone too far..Lyons was not in favour of gratuitous styling and I think this is guilty of that

Not that the idea of modification is a bad thing……some of that is definitely on the menu….

The Frau styling of the 120 looked nothing like the original…does that make it good or bad…who can say….

…each to their own…and long may that thrive….

Mine won’t however cost that much….;)
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Thanks Graham….both the East Sussex “Metal Meister” is most certainly a fundamental part of this journey…as too is “Steve the paint”…..so I think there may just be a few creative moments shall we say….;)
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Hi Peter
The plan is ready by this time next year…..as is often the case it helps if progress is ahead of the updates….;)
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

jtparr wrote:Thanks Graham….both the East Sussex “Metal Meister” is most certainly a fundamental part of this journey…as too is “Steve the paint”…..so I think there may just be a few creative moments shall we say….;)
Two essential ingredients in all the best projects :)

Keep the story coming
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

-
Cool project. What year is this one?
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Hi Hugo….all will be revealed soon…
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Cool project. Am I right in saying that this car was the basis for the c type?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP