The XK

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: The XK

Post by jtparr »

Hi Neil

In a word…yes

A substantial development of the XK as the C Type was more of a monocoque with an integral space frame skeleton
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Hugo 356 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:24 pm -
Cool project. What year is this one?
Is there a clue in JP’s signature
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Excellent stuff JP, keep it coming.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

71 years old- a year less than me!
Well done Jonathan.
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

Great project. Am involved with both the Lunaz EV and the TK one. The design definitely grows on you.
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Hi Jonny
Lunaz I like..it’s far purer..and it’s real…great stance as well…..KT is less so..be interesting to see what is actually looks like when they build one..is there a launch date..?
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

For those who may not know, this is Lunaz

Retains the purity of the design, a little too much chrome up front, but sits really well and marries the front and rear bumpers which the original didn’t…
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Part 4

Logistics…

Delivery day dawned in October 2021…and with it the do or die answer to a long held question…..

Would it fit through the gate….?

I had built this wall a few years back, when 2 cars in my life was sufficient…and although I knew I would be demolishing and remodelling, I had no intention of doing this until the following year..Covid was upon us and getting building materials ordered and delivered in 2021 was not a good idea

I had taken measurements and compared the to the owners manual, and by my reckoning with the gate and frames removed I had 1/2” spare each side…however the angle of approach to the gate, being immediately in front of the main garage doors presented a problem….so too did limited hands to push the car….plus its a big old thing….and little did we know the rear drum brakes were partially seized on….no wonder she was hard to manoeuvre….

“….That’ll polish out sir…..”…

But yet we did…and by dusk she was in the garden area…..and under cover of a temporary marque tent affair that I had purchased and installed to store the car over the winter of 2021/22

The plan was that as soon as winter would ease in the early spring of 2022 my son and I would start construction of the new shed

This was begun in February of 2022…firstly the task of excavation….then to order pre-mixed concrete to form a ground slab….and then a decent order of blockwork to form a dwarf wall, on top of which I designed and built a lovely OTT extravaganza of Stirling board and softwood timber frame, complete with single ply polymer roofing….AKA “black shed 2” to compliment “black shed 1” I had build 5 years earlier

Architects…what can you say….black..flat roof…modular…all fixings lined up…..Uber cool
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Part 5

First inspection

So what exactly had I bought……

To be specific she is a Jaguar XK120 SE Fixed Head Coupe, SE being short for Special Equipment.

Manufactured October 23rd 1952 and despatched to Max Hoffman, the principle Jaguar dealer on the East coast of America on October 26th

There also seems to be a gentle myth about the SE cars, which somehow, and sometimes seems to be confused with a C type head configuration, which also links into an MC description for these cars in the American market

In order for Jaguar to extract more power from the double overhead camshaft designed engine of the C Type cars of 1951-1953 for the endurance racing at Le Mans and the like, Jaguar introduced and developed a more wide angled aluminium head design with bigger ports and different profile camshafts

Ultimately fuel injection was introduced during 1953, being taken to its ultimate form in the short and then long nose D Type cars that were developed for the 1955, 56 and 57 seasons, after which Jaguar temporarily withdrew from formal endurance racing sponsorship leaving the remaining D Type cars to be converted to the famous XKSS configuration, at which point the likes of Steve McQueen becomes part of that legend of 16 completed original cars, sadly with 9 further cars destroyed in the catastrophic fire at Browns Lane in 1957

As far as I can tell, there seems to be a widespread assumption that an SE car had the same C type head, but this is definitely not the case in my car….and I don’t think generally

All I do know is that the SE cars were supposedly rated to have 190 hp as opposed to the standard 160 hp

I’m still slightly confused as to how this can be, because as far as I can tell, the only real difference could be the design of the camshaft because the car I bought, had a pair of 1 1/2 inch SU carburettors which is standard…but there are cars with 8:1 compression whereas mine has 9:1

As part of the upgrades to the car, I planned to increase to 2 inch carbs, the same size as the E Type, and also investigate the possibility of a fast road set of camshafts…..more later

What did immediately and visually set the SE cars apart from their standard siblings was the use of wire wheels as opposed to pressed steel

I’m fairly sure that’s the only real difference so perhaps it was a marketing ploy and a little bit of internal adjustment of the engine, but nothing fundamentally dramatic

But back to the story…….like an eager child at Christmas time, I was up early the following day….I had no where to store anything I took off the car really….as shed 2 didn’t exist…but what I did want to see was were there any hidden surprises of old last possessions within the car….

Answer…

Yup….this beauty….

And a couple of clues as to the owner…

Clearly a classic Jaguar type as a pipe smoker….

and this magnetic held sliding key holder with a Chicago address….and a blank wage packet from Florida..

Who knows….

Sadly this is the only history I have for the car…and thanks to the overly protective world we now live in the staff at Jaguar Heritage who kindly provided the Identity Certificate I obtained could and would not include the name of the original owner..they did years earlier for my EType…buy hey Ho…we all seem to need protecting from ourselves so it would appear……I ask you…data protection…..really….the guy would be over 100 by now so sadly guaranteed to be deceased….and yet…”…oh no sir….rules is rules…..”….pathetic….
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Small edit……

I also found these…so I guess an amateur photographer of some sort..whether this is a cheap brand of camera I know not…doeskin tissues sound posh….clearly a man of taste and quality…. :wink:

1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Enjoying this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

jtparr wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:43 pm Small edit……

I also found these…so I guess an amateur photographer of some sort..whether this is a cheap brand of camera I know not…doeskin tissues sound posh….clearly a man of taste and quality…. :wink:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/ph ... s-argus-c3

A sort of American Leica- not same quality level or price point!

You could buy one to keep in glovebox- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403819312636 ... 101224.m-1
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Thanks Clive…interesting the camera was first manufactured in Ann Arbour Michigan…so maybe connects that Chicago business address. That address is no longer valid..it’s been redeveloped and I don’t know who or what Three Point Industries is/were
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Amazing Keith….what a race that would have been..!
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type