Classic Beetle question

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Classic Beetle question

Post by Sam »

Oh.

I had a 1966 swing axle UK car and a 1969 IRS US car. Both 1300 manuals. Both 20+ years ago.

I stand corrected.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Winston, you might know my friend Alan Selwood who is a regular trialler. He is building 2 or 3 beetles for trials at the moment, and I'm sure he would be happy to chat.
PM me if you want his contact number.

Cheers
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Use VW 181/Trekker/Thing front spindles for extra lift and IRS conversion on the rear to keep the wheels upright.

I think VW Country Buggies came with swing axle reduction boxes but good luck finding some as rare as the proverbial.
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

jwhillracer wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:44 am Winston, you might know my friend Alan Selwood who is a regular trialler. He is building 2 or 3 beetles for trials at the moment, and I'm sure he would be happy to chat.
PM me if you want his contact number.

Cheers
JW
Thanks JW, we really are just dreaming at the moment, and trying to understand the options, should we decide to have a go. I might come back to you if we go further with the idea. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

For trials, the Imp is very good
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

impmad2000 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:05 pm For trials, the Imp is very good Image
I know that, but Jnr is less convinced, and it has to double as 'practical classic'.....
Winston
KS

Post by KS »

Tis true - you can use reduction boxes on a Beetle. It used to be a common conversion in the USofA back in the day. Lowers the overall gear ratio, which may or may not be beneficial, but gives an instant lift without screwing up geometry. At the front, use the spindles off a Type 181 (Trekker, or Thing) which have so-called raised spindles, lifting the front end by a few inches... Instant lift kit using factory parts!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
KS

Post by KS »

Winston Teague wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:16 pm
impmad2000 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:05 pm For trials, the Imp is very good Image
I know that, but Jnr is less convinced, and it has to double as 'practical classic'.....
Don't listen to him – check his DDK name. He's not called 'impMAD' without reason... :lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

The Imp is far more practical than the 875cc suggests, also has a strong youth following taking the Imp into all sorts of aspects of motorsport, hill climbs, sprints, racing and rallying. And then the modded cars are impressive too, including BMW bike engined cars. Worth a second look, but then I am biased.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
KS

Post by KS »

I was jesting - been a longtime fan of Imps and their variants. Always wanted a Sunbeam Stiletto or Imp Californian and was keen on building one with a big hot VW motor in the back.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Don't get me wrong, were very much into Imps, and all things Climax powered, and it should not be overlooked that this current train of thought my well never become reality (along with other similar beeories, theories fuelled by beer). W
Winston
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

OOh,thx KS, I like the raised spindles, reduction box idea. That would be a likeable solution to a 3" lift on a swing axle car. Would those rear axles fit the standard Beetle gearbox? And as an old car person it fits my ethos.....W
Winston
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Winston Teague wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 am OOh,thx KS, I like the raised spindles, reduction box idea. That would be a likeable solution to a 3" lift on a swing axle car. Would those rear axles fit the standard Beetle gearbox? And as an old car person it fits my ethos.....W
From memory you'd need a 1" spacer on the rear between the reduction box and spring plate as the bus axles are longer, you'll also need to reverse the ring and pinion otherwise you'll end up with 4 reverse gears... or just use a complete bus gearbox and reduction box setup and swap the nosecone for a beetle one.
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Hahaha, I like that too! I have a friend who rebuilt an early Aston Martin International, which has an undershot worm drive rear axle. He commissioned a new worm and wheel for it, expensive, and difficult to source. The restoration complete, he fired it up, pulled away and reversed into the shelves at the back of his garage, all watched by the customer......the engineers had assumed it to be overshot.....

This train of thought leads to (internal) questions about stronger/weaker VW swing axle gearboxes and thence ratios......
Winston
KS

Post by KS »

Ssshhhh, I wasn't going to tell Winston about the four reverse gears...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel