Check your pipes

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

silverboydreamer
DDK addict

Check your pipes

Post by silverboydreamer »

Enclosed pic is of fuel pipe from my mates 911, it’s around 5years old and as you can see the pipe is showing serious cracks, we put it down to ethanol content in petrol. Check your fuel pipes and replace them with ethanol tolerant rubber pipe.
D458DF6F-1346-40F5-B1FA-A6FD956F84C1.png
D458DF6F-1346-40F5-B1FA-A6FD956F84C1.png (89.6 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Check your pipes

Post by markm »

Is that the pipe from the fuel tank to the fuel pump? What ethanol tolerant replacement have you used?
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Dennes
DDK Newbie

Post by Dennes »

markm wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:02 pm Is that the pipe from the fuel tank to the fuel pump? What ethanol tolerant replacement have you used?
Hi Markm,

I believe that any fuel hose that is FKM/NBR and meets the SAEJ30R9 standards while withstanding E5 and E10 grades of bio-ethanol petrol formulations will do the job.
I was wondering which hoses to find, and came across this one ( I am not affiliated with the website or the hose brand anyhow).

https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/r9-unle ... -fuel-hose
70 911 Albert Blue
05 Cayenne S Titanium Metallic
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Dennes wrote:
markm wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:02 pm Is that the pipe from the fuel tank to the fuel pump? What ethanol tolerant replacement have you used?
Hi Markm,

I believe that any fuel hose that is FKM/NBR and meets the SAEJ30R9 standards while withstanding E5 and E10 grades of bio-ethanol petrol formulations will do the job.
I was wondering which hoses to find, and came across this one ( I am not affiliated with the website or the hose brand anyhow).

https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/r9-unle ... -fuel-hose
From experience last year pretty prompt and speedy delivery from Hosemaster

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

The photo missed the key bit! Which SAEJ30 hose is it?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The clue is in the thread ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

In a related subject I know of two instances where plated hard fuel lines using ethanol fuel have caused issues. The fuel slowly stripping off the plating inside the hard lines and depositing in the MFI injectors. No idea if this is a common emerging problem.
Rust Never Sleeps
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

I would recommend a trip to your local Lawnmower or Chainsaw dealer and buying a 5lt bottle of non ethanol petrol.
https://lawn-mower.co.uk/product/aspen- ... roke-fuel/

You can get larger amounts, but if you are storing a car over winter or starting it then this is a good priming fuel and then once you are started, you can fill the car up with e5 or e10 and use a fuel stabilizer. A stabilizer will help with E5/10 corrosion of metals, the flash rate however is not helped as this will degrade over time. Even with a stabilizer the metals and rubbers are effected if left to sit.
At the end of Autumn I give the car a run to drain as much fuel out and take it to a car wash. I drain the remaining ethanol fuel out of the tank and use it in our other cars, then pour in 5 lt of this, give it an Italian tune up and a blow dry to get rid of all the e10 and moisture and then put the car away for Winter , it starts first time in the Spring every time.
I know some motorbike riders of old bikes use only this as they do so few miles. But I can't afford €5/litre prices
Scene tax
Lightweight_911

Esso Energy Supreme+ 99 is ethanol free (in this area at least) - I use it in all my 'old' cars ...

Andy

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Many of these fuel rubber lines are available via type911 etc.
Anyone know if the aftermarket suppliers have/are upgrading their parts to tolerate ethanol?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

"The SAEJ30R9 specification is designed to withstand modern bio-ethanol enriched petrol (E5 and E10) available at petrol stations" ...

This spec hose is available from multiple stockists at vastly varying prices - the stockist mentioned earlier in this thread is the most expensive I've seen (I usually buy mine from Advanced Fluid Solutions) ...

Andy

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Andy, I was thinking about the pre-formed tight elbow (for example) pipes rather than straight tube.
My 911 has a C2 front mounted fuel pump with Porsche made tight 'U' tubes from tank to pump.
Such a tight bend would make a tube collapse/crease.

That pipe has been on the car since 1994 and the car has only had Shell 97/99 octane in it, but I believe there can be traces of ethanol in Shell fuel.

The Halfords tube I used on the carb'd Lola failed after 5 years using the same fuel as the 911. Failure was it went very hard.
Now has the resistant hose.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:09 pm .

Esso Energy Supreme+ 99 is ethanol free (in this area at least) - I use it in all my 'old' cars ...

Agree Andy. I have used Esso for 12 years obviously that covers pre ethanol too. I understand the Esso ethanol free is available in most parts of England except the South West and one or two other small areas. To date no issues with hard or soft fuel lines or start up after winter lay up of the cars.
Rust Never Sleeps
theorangeperil
DDK forever

Post by theorangeperil »

Anyone know the situation with fuel in Europe?
Peter
'69 911T UK RHD enjoying since 2002
'86 924S - Gone but not forgotten. Porsche's best kept secret...
'04 911 40th Anniversary now gone
'11 911 GTS manual of course...
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

911hillclimber wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:23 pm I was thinking about the pre-formed tight elbow (for example) pipes rather than straight tube.
Why not just put a metal elbow joint in, instead of bending the pipe?